Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Super Bowl Ratings Down Too

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM by SamusAranX.)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22336...agles-down

And Fox Sports just signed that massive deal and the owners gave goodell a new contract. Have to wonder if they’re regretting that now. The ratings fell all playoffs. 

The NFL has a problem on its hands. I think it’s a combination of product oversaturation, poor officiating, perceived bias towards the big markets, people unable to see their game of choice without paying so they go online, and political controversies (note this is not the thread to discuss who is wrong or right on that). 

It will be interesting to see what happens next year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018, 10:12 PM by imtheblkranger.)

It's hard to he concerned when it still dominates every other thing on TV. I think there's a few factors to this:

1. The quality of the game has gone down, at least from an officiating standpoint. That's definitely true

2. Online streaming viewership I do not believe is counted in these numbers. Add that (which is hard to quantify), and I think it's a lot less worrisome.

3. I honestly think a lot of people really didn't want to watch the Pats again. I really had no plans to watch.

Then there's the anthem stuff, which IMO, I don't think has made a large tangible impact on viewership. I believe it's pretty far down the list.

Plus this nugget:

"The viewership this season marked a 20 percent increase from the last time the two teams played in the Super Bowl (XXXIX, 86 million viewers) in February 2005.

The Patriots played in the most-watched game and broadcast in U.S. history, Super Bowl XLIX against the Seattle Seahawks in 2015. The Patriots also played in the fourth- (XLVI, New York Giants, 2012) and fifth-most-watched (LI, Atlanta Falcons, 2017) broadcasts of all time. The Pats-Falcons Super Bowl had 111.3 million viewers on average."

The NFL has been on an all time high of viewership. A drop was bound to happen. And it's still up from 10 years ago
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Combination of online viewers + Patriots again. I was talking to people around work and they were just tired of seeing the Patriots in there, and were glad to find out they lost. Interesting when you think about the disdain for the Patriots making it, being how we got jobbed by the officials. All 12 submitted plays to the NFL by the Jaguars were determined to be missed calls. That is basically what happened to us vs the Pack a couple years back. The "bias" or "favoritism" in certain games with certain teams is pretty blatant. Not sure that had anything to do with it, but personally, I only tuned in for the end of the game because of it.

It doesn't concern me even one little bit, because it doesn't affect me at all.

But if I had to come up with a reason for the decline, I think it was inevitable. Things go up and down. It's not possible for something to go up up up and never take a step back. I think the NFL has pushed the money-making aspect of the league so hard, they've overdone it. If you push so hard to make money, you have to bring in new fans and some of those fans are inevitably going to wander off to something else.

Plus a lot of people are sick of the Pats getting favorable calls. A lot of my Pittsburgh friends posted on FB that they weren't watching it due to that reason ... not sure if they followed through with it or note but that's what they cited.

Had the Jaguars been in the Super Bowl, and the same ratings decline occurred, we all know what they would have used as the excuse.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Less people watching TV has much more to do with any ratings decline than any real anti-NFL sentiment.

(02-06-2018, 12:28 PM)FBT Wrote: Had the Jaguars been in the Super Bowl, and the same ratings decline occurred, we all know what they would have used as the excuse.

The decline would have been greater, and it would have been a valid reason. Having a team with the smallest fan base in the NFL does not help ratings.

But all this talk about declining ratings is vastly overrated. They cannot keep going up forever. Over 100 million saw the game. It was the tenth highest rated television show ever. Every one is making plenty of money.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

TV ratings are down in general to say its only an NFL problem is incredibly disingenuous. People are turning off cable and watching tv in different ways that doesn't always get captured in the standard tv ratings. It's ridiculous to make this sound like people are stopping watching the NFL. Are there people that have turned it off because of the rules, teams, play in general? Sure, but its not nearly as bad as what the ratings make it seem.

(02-06-2018, 12:28 PM)FBT Wrote: Had the Jaguars been in the Super Bowl, and the same ratings decline occurred, we all know what they would have used as the excuse.

No kidding.  They are still complaining about the 65 degree weather we had here, yet apparently 0 degrees in Minnesota is just fine.

(02-06-2018, 01:29 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:

The decline would have been greater, and it would have been a valid reason. Having a team with the smallest fan base in the NFL does not help ratings.

But all this talk about declining ratings is vastly overrated. They cannot keep going up forever. Over 100 million saw the game. It was the tenth highest rated television show ever. Every one is making plenty of money.

I'll disagree, there's few things America loves more than a quality underdog story. The Small Market Cinderella with the Overachieving Blue Collar Quarterback would've sold well IMO.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato