Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why is Grant not #2 back?

Fournette and Ivory are both power backs and Yeldon just hasn't proven anything since he's been here.  Grant would be a great compliment to Fournette as he's great coming of the screens and out in flat which we run a lot.  Yet we barely see him at all.  Last game against Pats he was torching them first half and then they just take him out???  Is there a reason why he's not playing more?
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Grant should be used more but I disagree about Yeldon. I thought he looked pretty good this year in his role.

Ivory sucks.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-06-2018, 12:34 PM)Rico Wrote: Grant should be used more but I disagree about Yeldon.  I thought he looked pretty good this year in his role.

Ivory sucks.

Yeldon has been good catching the ball but outside Indy game he hasn't shown much running the ball.

(02-06-2018, 12:36 PM)KingJones Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:34 PM)Rico Wrote: Grant should be used more but I disagree about Yeldon.  I thought he looked pretty good this year in his role.

Ivory sucks.

Yeldon has been good catching the ball but outside Indy game he hasn't shown much running the ball.
That's because he had 49 rushes all season..... averaged 5.2 on those rushes though.

I thought Yeldon should have played more in the Pats game.

I liked Yeldon this past season. He was good in a few games. He's an underrated blocker too. I don't think Ivory will be here much longer. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cut if the expenses don't hurt our cap too much. Grant may see more time in 2018.

Personally though it wouldn't hurt my feelings seeing us pick-up someone like Sony Michel or Nick Chubb in RD2 or RD3 if they're available.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-06-2018, 12:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:36 PM)KingJones Wrote: Yeldon has been good catching the ball but outside Indy game he hasn't shown much running the ball.
That's because he had 49 rushes all season..... averaged 5.2 on those rushes though.

Big chunk of that came from the Colts game.

(02-06-2018, 12:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I liked Yeldon this past season. He was good in a few games. He's an underrated blocker too. I don't think Ivory will be here much longer. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cut if the expenses don't hurt our cap too much. Grant may see more time in 2018.

Personally though it wouldn't hurt my feelings seeing us pick-up someone like Sony Michel or Nick Chubb in RD2 or RD3 if they're available.

Ivory was done the first time he was a healthy scratch. The team is done with him.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(02-06-2018, 12:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I liked Yeldon this past season. He was good in a few games. He's an underrated blocker too. I don't think Ivory will be here much longer. Wouldn't be surprised if he's cut if the expenses don't hurt our cap too much. Grant may see more time in 2018.

Yes!  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if both Yeldon and Ivory are gone and we draft a guy in 2nd or 3rd and keep Grant.  But Yeldon will be back for sure.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-06-2018, 12:53 PM)KingJones Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That's because he had 49 rushes all season..... averaged 5.2 on those rushes though.

Big chunk of that came from the Colts game.
Yes but your argument is that he didn't show you anything running the ball. Well that's because they never really used him as a runner.

When they did use him as a runner, he was effective. 

Ivory will be gone so that's good. I think they stick with Fournette, Yeldon and Grant. Run more RPO next season if Blake is back.

(02-06-2018, 12:55 PM)KingJones Wrote:

Yes!  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if both Yeldon and Ivory are gone and we draft a guy in 2nd or 3rd and keep Grant.  But Yeldon will be back for sure.
This team has more needs at TE, Guard and WR. They don't need to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a RB when they used the #4 overall on Fournette. Yeldon and Grant will do just fine next year.

I've wondered about this for a long time now. Grant is electric, every time he touches the ball. He has proven time and time again, he is our big play weapon on offense and we barely ever use him. Why?

(02-06-2018, 01:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've wondered about this for a long time now. Grant is electric, every time he touches the ball. He has proven time and time again, he is our big play weapon on offense and we barely ever use him. Why?
He's like Corey Clement from the Eagles. The Jags stopped using Grant against the Pats and it backfired.

(02-06-2018, 01:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 01:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've wondered about this for a long time now. Grant is electric, every time he touches the ball. He has proven time and time again, he is our big play weapon on offense and we barely ever use him. Why?
He's like Corey Clement from the Eagles. The Jags stopped using Grant against the Pats and it backfired.

The problem wasn't just that they stopped using Grant. 

The problem was that they stopped running (and passing) from that two back set with three WRs. NE was not stopping it because it was so "multiple" and Grant was one of several effective options to go to in that set. 

Switching from that look that was moving the ball well to a power formation and a single back was a dumb move in the AFCCG.  
I hope the outcome of that game changes the way the team intends to use Fournette moving forward to some degree.  Unless they bring in a couple of beast road-graders on the O-Line, they need to stay creative with the run game and stop "daring teams" to stop the run.  Because too many of them showed that they will indeed stop the run in that situation.

Is it me or is it fumble issues that hurt Yeldon's playing time? Plus he was coming off the flu
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Yeldon is the perfect #2 to Fournette right now. Removing Ivory from the rotation will be huge for Grant moving forward though. I like having the versatility those 3 bring to the table b
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-06-2018, 12:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 12:53 PM)KingJones Wrote: Big chunk of that came from the Colts game.
Yes but your argument is that he didn't show you anything running the ball. Well that's because they never really used him as a runner.

When they did use him as a runner, he was effective. 

Ivory will be gone so that's good. I think they stick with Fournette, Yeldon and Grant. Run more RPO next season if Blake is back.

(02-06-2018, 12:55 PM)KingJones Wrote: Yes!  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if both Yeldon and Ivory are gone and we draft a guy in 2nd or 3rd and keep Grant.  But Yeldon will be back for sure.
This team has more needs at TE, Guard and WR. They don't need to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a RB when they used the #4 overall on Fournette. Yeldon and Grant will do just fine next year.

I agree that we absolutely could look at TE, G and WR. But a lot of that is based on what the team does during free agency. Don't forget we're getting Mychal Rivera back this year. And they still have to figure out what they're going to do with Allen Robinson. If they let Marqise Lee walk we'll still have Hurns, Cole and Westbrook and I am hoping Robinson. 

G is interesting. I like Omameh. Not a big fan of Cann. But I think if they're able to find another dynamic back. They should pull the trigger on him. I like Fournette but I am still concerned with his injuries. And if they're going to continue to lean on him in 2018 like they did in 2017 they need to consider bringing in another heavy hitter with break away speed. Michel and Chubb offer that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-06-2018, 12:30 PM)KingJones Wrote: Fournette and Ivory are both power backs and Yeldon just hasn't proven anything since he's been here.  Grant would be a great compliment to Fournette as he's great coming of the screens and out in flat which we run a lot.  Yet we barely see him at all.  Last game against Pats he was torching them first half and then they just take him out???  Is there a reason why he's not playing more?

3 receptions for 59 yards in the 1st half vs the Patriots

2nd half --- bench

I quite trying to figure out coaching our coaching strategy with Grant other than the fact that he was an undrafted FA so they don't give him the Yeldon role.  The dude was a 4-star recruit (5th rated all purpose RB) out of HS before going to Alabama then transferring to Auburn so he's been playing at a very high level for years now,

I agree we should give our best running back the ball more.

(02-06-2018, 01:57 PM)Upper Wrote: I agree we should give our best running back the ball more.

Blake touches the ball every play...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Grant should get 8 touches or so a game just to see what happens.

His speed puts the fear of God into defenders and he's gotten better at taking contact. Just don't have him block.

Grant don't get time because of fumbles imo, ivory is a fumble machine but i guess you pay that kinda money you try to get something back idk but I love corey grant, feel he could be what D-Rob always wanted to be.