Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, does this mean the division belongs to the Jags?

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM by JaguarKick.)

I was thinking about this today with the news of McDaniels backing out of the Colts job (serious jerk move, by the way).  Are any of the other teams in this division anywhere near as complete as the Jaguars?  Could we be looking at a New England level period of division dominance?

The Colts are a mess.  Their defense sucks, their offense isn't anything to write home about WITH Luck, and now it looks like he might never be 100% again.  On top of that, they're going to get a bottom of the barrel coaching hire after McDaniels pulled this stunt.  This is the kind of thing that could take a decade to fully recover from.

The tacks aren't anything great, either, despite their playoff win.  Mariota is subpar.  Their defense is good, but not "Stop the Pats" good, and if they fall behind, their offense can't keep up.  I think Vrabel won't be a good coach, either, at least not for what they need.  I see them taking a major step back next year.

The tinhorns have an injury-riddled defense that is a shadow of what it once was.  Even when they get to 100%, they are holes all over it.  It remains to be seen whether Watson will duplicate what he did last year, and even that wasn't that impressive if you watch the games.  He had so few turnovers because when he missed, he missed BAD--dirt balls or well over the head of the receiver and all the defenders.  They seem to have organizational dysfunction of top of that, keeping the coach instead of the GM.  I also don't feel O'Brien is anything special, either.

Then, there's the Jags.  Our one weakness on defense is at Safety, and that because it's not to the level of the other groups--it's better than a lot of teams.  On offense, we need another guard, but our line played great all year.  The one glaring weakness is at QB, and there's a possibility Bortles improves, although I feel we need a replacement.  The only other area I see that we need some improvement is that the coaching needs to be less conservative in spots; they've showed flashes of brilliance throughout the season, and it's possibly that fixing QB will fix that as well.

I just really don't see how any other team wins the division.  Am I off base here?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We lost to the Titans twice this year. The Texans have Watson coming back next year. And the Colts could have Luck coming back--or maybe not. I don't think it's really our division. Not until we prove it by beating them all on a consistent basis. Can we win the division? Well, obviously we can. We did this year. But it's not our division to dominate.

No offense, but you are pretty far off base. We couldn't beat the tacks this past year and with a pretty stout team. Houston will have all personnel back and healthy, including a Watson who blew it up. The clots will be a little off with the HC loss and death of player; but with Luck coming back, there's no guarantees. Plus we have a brutal schedule this year. Don't get too cocky about things yet. We only have had one good year in the last decade. Let's see some consistency before we pronounce "New England" type level of anything....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 11:50 AM by TheAll22.)

Each team has really positive things going their way. Luck alone makes the Colts a contender, assuming they have a strong off-season on top of that. The Texans are well coached, have a good all-around roster and Tennessee is coming back healthy and recharged with an rookie HC.

This Jags team has some serious holes and its going to take a lot to stay on top. They out-performed themselves in some ways and I saw a team that couldn't put teams away or got out coached several times. There lots of work to do. We can't just assume the tam is going upward.

The colts are probably going to need more than just a new coach and an allegedly healthy Luck to right their ship. Might take a couple years for them to really be competitive.

The tinhorns could get things turned around pretty quickly but they have some question marks about the roster.

The flaming thumbtacks will be in hunt for the division if their new staff hires turn out well. Looking forward to a bit of revenge against them next season.

Titans whooped us twice and have a much better coaching ticket now. Still made the playoffs and won a game despite playing bad most of the year. Should be much improved.

Texans will be dangerous with Watson and that defense. It's not as scary as a unit anymore but still "good enough" .

Colts will be whipping boys again.

(02-07-2018, 11:31 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: I was thinking about this today with the news of McDaniels backing out of the Colts job (serious jerk move, by the way).  Are any of the other teams in this division anywhere near as complete as the Jaguars?  Could we be looking at a New England level period of division dominance?

The Colts are a mess.  Their defense sucks, their offense isn't anything to write home about WITH Luck, and now it looks like he might never be 100% again.  On top of that, they're going to get a bottom of the barrel coaching hire after McDaniels pulled this stunt.  This is the kind of thing that could take a decade to fully recover from.

The tacks aren't anything great, either, despite their playoff win.  Mariota is subpar.  Their defense is good, but not "Stop the Pats" good, and if they fall behind, their offense can't keep up.  I think Vrabel won't be a good coach, either, at least not for what they need.  I see them taking a major step back next year.

The tinhorns have an injury-riddled defense that is a shadow of what it once was.  Even when they get to 100%, they are holes all over it.  It remains to be seen whether Watson will duplicate what he did last year, and even that wasn't that impressive if you watch the games.  He had so few turnovers because when he missed, he missed BAD--dirt balls or well over the head of the receiver and all the defenders.  They seem to have organizational dysfunction of top of that, keeping the coach instead of the GM.  I also don't feel O'Brien is anything special, either.

Then, there's the Jags.  Our one weakness on defense is at Safety, and that because it's not to the level of the other groups--it's better than a lot of teams.  On offense, we need another guard, but our line played great all year.  The one glaring weakness is at QB, and there's a possibility Bortles improves, although I feel we need a replacement.  The only other area I see that we need some improvement is that the coaching needs to be less conservative in spots; they've showed flashes of brilliance throughout the season, and it's possibly that fixing QB will fix that as well.

I just really don't see how any other team wins the division.  Am I off base here?

I echo the sentiments of the others who have posted on this subject.

The Jaguars are in a good position to win the division again, but I'm not yet prepared to say the Jaguars will own the division.

Of all of our divisional foes, I think the Colts are in the absolute worst position to challenge the Jaguars for the division in 2018 at this stage.  Luck is an unknown quantity at tgis stage, and even if he returned completely healthy (a dubious proposition), he has a depleted offensive line and no running game to support him.  Defensively, they are a sieve.  They cannot stop the run or the pass, nor do they have a pass rush.

Houston does not pose the seemingly insurmountable matchup problems for us they once did.  J.J. Watt returned last year from a season ending injury and didn't do anything against us in the opening week.  He has since suffered another season ending injury, and his effectiveness upon his return will be in doubt.  While Clowney is talented,  his production is inconsistent.  I'm still not sold that they are using him properly or that he is in the best scheme for him.  Whitney Mercilus is still a strong pass rushing threat, though.  Their secondary needs new blood.  Offensively, Watson, if he can stay healthy, can be a superstar at QB.  But he needs help.  he has good WRs, but no offensive line.

The tacks remain the biggest threat to us in the division.  Vrabel is doing the right thing in going to an up tempo attack with Mariota, but he doesn't have the receivers to pull it off.  They do have a strong offensive line.  Defensively, they are good, but I wonder what the change in coordinators will do. Hopefully they will keep Cyprien.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Anything can happen at any given point in time in the NFL. Watson was on fire last year before the ACL injury. Luck is capable of getting double digit wins DESPITE being held back by garbage talent around him. Mariota regressed last year and they STILL managed to sneak into the play-offs and they ended up sweeping us. Don't discount these other teams. They'll also have a free agency class to improve. They'll also have more options in the draft to improve as well because of how and where they finished.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The only way we stay competitive within our division, and the league itself, is to cut down on penalties and be consistent on offense. That needs to be the main focus in the offseason for this team to be a champion.
Jaguars Fundamentalist