Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Gesicki - Draft profile

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 04:29 PM by JackCity.)

Ello ello. 

Wrote a lengthy piece about Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki.

Huge potential as a mismatch in the pass game but his blocking is dreadful. One of the worst blocker's I've seen. 

Could be a potential Jaguars target but seems like a bad fit unless they feel they can get his blocking up to par. By all accounts he's worked a ton at it but until it translates on the field its a big question mark.  

Let us know what you think about him! Thanks 

https://jackjaguars.wordpress.com/2018/0...e-gesicki/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think the NFL has proven at large that a TEs ability to block is a distant second to their ability to be a mismatch in the passing game, so I think many teams will love Gesecki and put him to great use in the NFL.

Unfortunately, I think our front office has proven that they run things pretty much the opposite of the modern NFL so I don't think he will be much of a candidate to come here.

No. He's basically a bigger, slower WR, because of his pitiful blocking. If we're gonna spend a high round pick on a TE, we need one that can catch and block. IMO, Andrews, Goedert, Hurst and Fumagalli are all better options in rounds 2-3.

(02-11-2018, 04:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. He's basically a bigger, slower WR, because of his pitiful blocking. If we're gonna spend a high round pick on a TE, we need one that can catch and block. IMO, Andrews, Goedert, Hurst and Fumagalli are all better options in rounds 2-3.

Andrews is a poor blocker as well.  If we take a TE who's weakness is blocking, I would take Andrews over Gesicki though.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 04:21 PM by Upper.)

(02-11-2018, 04:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. He's basically a bigger, slower WR, because of his pitiful blocking. If we're gonna spend a high round pick on a TE, we need one that can catch and block. IMO, Andrews, Goedert, Hurst and Fumagalli are all better options in rounds 2-3.

Just out of curiosity, do you think Evan Engram was a bad pick?

(02-11-2018, 04:11 PM)Upper Wrote: I think the NFL has proven at large that a TEs ability to block is a distant second to their ability to be a mismatch in the passing game, so I think many teams will love Gesecki and put him to great use in the NFL.

Unfortunately, I think our front office has proven that they run things pretty much the opposite of the modern NFL so I don't think he will be much of a candidate to come here.

Yeah he'll have a lot of suitors. He's a mismatch against every defensive player in the league.    

I think his value to us would supersede his blocking but style wise its hard to see the front office selecting a player like him.

(02-11-2018, 04:21 PM)Upper Wrote:

Yes, they could of got Cam Robinson and they took a TE

Someone like Fumagalli is a much better blocker but he's got very limited potential in the pass game. He's a career #2.  4th/5th round pick.  

I like Goedert and Andrews too. Even though Andrews is pretty bad at blocking too.

(02-11-2018, 04:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yes, they could of got Cam Robinson and they took a TE

I'll pretend that you said Ryan Ramczyk instead of Cam and let it slide. That wasn't the point though.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 05:04 PM by realtorpat.)

I think they had bigger needs, Engram had a great year and was my favorite TE in the draft.  With all that said though I think there needs to be a reminder that they lost so much talent around that offense last year that Engram was basically force-fed the ball.  I imagine he will take a large step back this year.

edit:
by step back I mean in stats, he will probably be a better player but I don't see him getting anywhere near the same amount of usage.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Very good profile of Gesecki. I don't think Coughlin would take him due to his poor blocking. The guy is definitely a freakish athlete, however.

(02-11-2018, 06:17 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Very good profile of Gesecki. I don't think Coughlin would take him due to his poor blocking. The guy is definitely a freakish athlete, however.

Appreciate it man. 

Yeah me either tbh. Apparently he had a very solid week of blocking at the Senior Bowl. That would t sway me from what I saw on tape but perhaps some teams would take it as evidence that he can do it. 

He should blow up the combine.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 08:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-11-2018, 04:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Andrews is a poor blocker as well.  If we take a TE who's weakness is blocking, I would take Andrews over Gesicki though.

Of the guys I mentioned, Andrews is the worst blocker, but he's much better than Gesicki.

Considering how bad the Giants line was at pass blocking and Engram is not a great blocker, it wasn't the smartest pick.

I hope the Jags don’t get scared off by Gesicki’s blocking. Yeah, he is horrible now but there is no reason he couldn’t get better. Marcedes wasn’t known for his blocking when we drafted him so maybe a year with him could pay off. We also have Koyack who will probably take over as the primary blocking TE when Marcedes retires.

Have a 6’6” TE with a 40 inch very and great hands is so intriguing.

(02-11-2018, 08:39 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I hope the Jags don’t get scared off by Gesicki’s blocking. Yeah, he is horrible now but there is no reason he couldn’t get better. Marcedes wasn’t known for his blocking when we drafted him so maybe a year with him could pay off. We also have Koyack who will probably take over as the primary blocking TE when Marcedes retires.

He didn't display good hands at the Senior Bowl. He had a couple of very easy drops. I wasn't impressed.

I think he will be the best TE coming out of this draft. Great feet, athletic freak. I'd love to see him in a jags uni.

Ugh. Reads like it was written by a man who literally had a lime in his mouth the whole time. I can practically hear the accent every time I read it.

All kidding aside though, nice write up. A few things about Gesicki that I didn't like.

Blocking - See any of the posts above
When he had to gather in that "leaping" clip - That always worries me. Quick twitch means exactly that, your muscles are ready to explode immediately. Should be no need to gather. Probably nitpicking here, but that's what draft talk is all about.
Power - This is tied to blocking, but those long-limbed guys will sometimes have problems with strength. I didn't see a lot of power from him in a few of them fancy movies you posted.

What I did like
Sells the play. He spends as much effort as he needs to set up a guy and the play. He worked a Safety who had inside position on him until he got him to move then went inside. It didn't happen right away, he kept working on it. Thumbs up right there. The play where he caught the TD after faking the WR screen. He did a good job of selling his block then went downfield. I like that as much as NYC4Jags likes a glass of bourbon in the morning.
"Triangle numbers" - who don't want a player built like that?!
Catch and drops - it's a good thing for a guy to catch more passes than he drops. Hey! Did ya read that Marquise Lee?!
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(02-12-2018, 11:07 AM)Deacon Wrote: ...
What I did like
Sells the play. He spends as much effort as he needs to set up a guy and the play. He worked a Safety who had inside position on him until he got him to move then went inside. It didn't happen right away, he kept working on it. Thumbs up right there. The play where he caught the TD after faking the WR screen. He did a good job of selling his block then went downfield. I like that as much as NYC4Jags likes a glass of bourbon in the morning.
"Triangle numbers" - who don't want a player built like that?!
Catch and drops - it's a good thing for a guy to catch more passes than he drops. Hey! Did ya read that Marquise Lee?!

I like to wait 'till after lunch on the bourbon.  Big Grin

The Gesicki kid is an intriguing option.  I'm pretty high on the Goedert kid as of now and will be keeping an eye on his (and the other top TE's) stock as the combine comes and goes. 

Hope the team takes one prior to the fourth.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

For 45 years here in Jacksonville, when critiquing our TEs pass catching abilities, we've been told that [insert TE Name here] was a good blocker.

I can't wait for the day when we actually land a pass catching TE, even if it does sacrifice a little on the blocking end.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKoM-wBv0Q_ZboVlIknM2...OePQL8ben2]

(02-12-2018, 01:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 08:39 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I hope the Jags don’t get scared off by Gesicki’s blocking. Yeah, he is horrible now but there is no reason he couldn’t get better. Marcedes wasn’t known for his blocking when we drafted him so maybe a year with him could pay off. We also have Koyack who will probably take over as the primary blocking TE when Marcedes retires.

He didn't display good hands at the Senior Bowl. He had a couple of very easy drops. I wasn't impressed.

Per PFF, Gesicki had 2 drops out of all the catchable balls he had thrown his way last year.

I’ll take the sample size over a week at the Senior Bowl.