Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump proposes cutting all federal funds for NPR, PBS

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM by The Drifter.)

I say GOOD, NPR is the propaganda wing of the Democratic party

Trump proposes cutting all federal funds for NPR, PBS

The 2019 federal budget that the White House unveiled Monday again proposes cutting all federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funnels money to NPR and PBS -- a potential move that the CPB president quickly  slammed.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/...r-pbs.html
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good, no more Suze Orman edu-mmercials on the taxpayers dime.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Does anybody listen to or watch those stations anyway? Cut them.

No. I am not ok with this. PBS produces some of the best scientific and educational material out there. I know it contradicts with the Trumpettes' flat Earth beliefs, but it serves a valuable role in the American classroom that no other network can or wants to.

I watch NOVA and Frontline all the time.

Okay, Sesame Street too.

(02-13-2018, 11:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I watch NOVA and Frontline all the time.

Okay, Sesame Street too.

Sesame Street in on HBO now.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I watch PBS programming fairly regularly.
It would be a shame for the funding to disappear if for no other reason than that they provide a number of quality programs for kids that aren't laden with cereal commercials and such. For families with antenna TV and children, that's a nice thing to have available.

NPR has a few weekend entertainment/music driven shows that are good for a long road trip occasionally, but I listen to little else from them.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 12:35 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

As someone who has listened to a good amount of NPR and also watched a decent amount of PBS (as a kid, and with my kids now), I am still okay with it going as long as other 'arts' endowments go as well. Cause these are the two most useful things we get from that sort of spending. NPR is already practically 'listener funded,' and I wouldn't be surprised if PBS is mostly viewer funded as well. I am guessing there are better things to defund tho.

Would note tho, the American Academy of Periatrics recommends no TV for kids under 2, and like 30 minutes a day for those over. While I like the children's content, ideally no one would be making it for kids less old than that.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

As long as the PBS and NPR funding are going towards THE WALL, I am game.

The funding will go toward installing loud speakers in every US town so, upon hearing the "call to worship", we can pay homage toward our leader in Washington DC 5 times per day.

I love PBS... but no one that works there needs a six figure salary.

Just cut the fat. Start to use PBS as a training station - take entry-level college graduates, train them up and get them experience, move them out to private industry. Rinse and repeat. Low salaries because it's not meant as a career.

Just an idea.

If this was actually part of an effort to cut the deficit, I'd be in favor of ending all funding for PBS and NPR. Unfortunately, Trump has apparently decided that deficits don't matter. So cutting these things is obviously purely political, and has nothing to do with the cost.

(02-13-2018, 01:04 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: As long as the PBS and NPR funding are going towards THE WALL, I am game.

No, it'll probably all go towards gold-plated toilets for Lockheed Martin executives as they continue to rake in taxpayer dollars for their F-35 that loses to a paper airplane in close quarters combat.

(02-13-2018, 05:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: If this was actually part of an effort to cut the deficit, I'd be in favor of ending all funding for PBS and NPR.   Unfortunately, Trump has apparently decided that deficits don't matter.   So cutting these things is obviously purely political, and has nothing to do with the cost.

Should tax dollars be used to broadcast propaganda?

PBS and NPR are political, so both funding them and cutting them would be political.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 09:16 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-13-2018, 11:42 AM)TJBender Wrote: No. I am not ok with this. PBS produces some of the best scientific and educational material out there. I know it contradicts with the Trumpettes' flat Earth beliefs, but it serves a valuable role in the American classroom that no other network can or wants to.

The Science channel on basic cable has the same stuff. The problem is that even if we cut funding to NPR and PBS, that's only "chump change" compared to the butt loads of money Trump is spending on things like a military parades and a border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for. He's spending money like Paris Hilton, yet he doesn't realize this country is already mortgaged to the max. He's just grasping at anything he can to dig himself out of this hole, so he can get his precious wall built.

Stop talking about the wall like it's expensive.

We gave Iran 150 Billion in cash.

(02-13-2018, 09:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 11:42 AM)TJBender Wrote: No. I am not ok with this. PBS produces some of the best scientific and educational material out there. I know it contradicts with the Trumpettes' flat Earth beliefs, but it serves a valuable role in the American classroom that no other network can or wants to.

The Science channel on basic cable has the same stuff. The problem is that even if we cut funding to NPR and PBS, that's only "chump change" compared to the butt loads of money Trump is spending on things like a military parades and a border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for. He's spending money like Paris Hilton, yet he doesn't realize this country is already mortgaged to the max. He's just grasping at anything he can to dig himself out of this hole, so he can get his precious wall built.

How much is Trump spending on a military parade? If you can answer that question right now, my house is yours.

You report more fake news than CNN!

(02-13-2018, 10:49 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The Science channel on basic cable has the same stuff. The problem is that even if we cut funding to NPR and PBS, that's only "chump change" compared to the butt loads of money Trump is spending on things like a military parades and a border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for. He's spending money like Paris Hilton, yet he doesn't realize this country is already mortgaged to the max. He's just grasping at anything he can to dig himself out of this hole, so he can get his precious wall built.

How much is Trump spending on a military parade? If you can answer that question right now, my house is yours.

You report more fake news than CNN!

So you're telling me it will be free? If it cost $100 that's still a waste of $100. It's all to boost Trump's ego, much like Kim Jong Il does in N. Korea, when he has military parades.

I agree with the sentiment. That is, screw NPR, but PBS needs to stick around.
'02

Takes off his shades... 

Flat Earth?  

Do you REALLY want to trip the light fantastic with me son?