Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Packaged Deliveries instead of Food Stamps

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump...00122.html

This is actually interesting, regardless of which side of the Rep/Dem fence you reside.

Personally, I like the idea (from the comment section) to set up local warehouses that contain the specific products that are available to be picked up with food stamps.  That way the Gov controls food distribution although the supermarkets would not be happy about that.

In some cases, big government may be a good thing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Inefficient and way too hard to manage.

SNAP is simple and easy. No need to change the actual way its done - just stop those who don't need it from getting it.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM by EricC85.)

100% on board with this. Let's help those that need it but this is a much better way to manage it instead of debit cards where they load up on junk and run out of quality food by mid month.

Also more cost effective if you can negotiate bulk discounts to package. Similiar to wic a much more efficient program with select amounts of specific foods available.

(02-13-2018, 02:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Inefficient and way too hard to manage.

SNAP is simple and easy. No need to change the actual way its done - just stop those who don't need it from getting it.

SNAP is horribly inefficient and easily manipulated. This eliminates the selling of benefits and manages wasted resources.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(02-13-2018, 02:51 PM)EricC85 Wrote: 100% on board with this. Let's help those that need it but this is a much better way to manage it instead of debit cards where they load up on junk and run out of quality food by mid month.

Also more cost effective if you can negotiate bulk discounts to package. Similiar to wic a much more efficient program with select amounts of specific foods available.

(02-13-2018, 02:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Inefficient and way too hard to manage.

SNAP is horribly inefficient and easily manipulated. This eliminates the selling of benefits and manages wasted resources.

How is it inefficient? They get a card with money loaded on it once a month. That's efficiency.

Easily manipulated is the only problem and the only thing that needs to be fixed.

Deliveries of food boxes is insane and stupid and totally inefficient.

The government shouldn't be deciding what they eat. Now I do like the idea of taking advantage of the government's purchasing power, but perhaps we can still leave the decision of what to buy to the food stamp holders. For instance, the government can offer certain staple foods to them at a considerable discount from what they'd pay in a store, and then let the consumer decide. In most cases the consumer would decide for the cheaper government food, and they would be allowed to order how much of what foods they want. The food stamp holder would be charged for the food when they go to collect their food stamps. In other words, if they bought $20 worth of government bacon, when they go to collect they'll simpliy get $20 less worth of food stamps. 
'02

I want a card with money on it!

(02-13-2018, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I want a card with money on it!

I have one, I want a card with everyone else's money on it!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Sounds like a program that would be fraught with corruption, inefficiency, and exploitation. Bad idea.

Rice, beans, lettuce, and water. Nothing more.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-13-2018, 03:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I want a card with money on it!

I have one, I want a card with everyone else's money on it!

Yea! That one. I want that one!

(02-13-2018, 06:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Rice, beans, lettuce, and water. Nothing more.

They could do a lot worse. That's a better diet than mac-n-cheese with OJ from concentrate.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I don't like it. Two reasons. One, it seems horribly impractical to figure out a box for every individual family when you consider special health needs, food allergies, dietary practices or requirements, etc. Two, I would not be ok with Uncle Donald telling me what I get to eat. And even then, it's a moot point. The grocery store and drugstore lobby would be devastated if they lost 90% of their SNAP dollars. They'd go to incredibly great lengths to make sure this plan never sees the light of day. Even if they're the suppliers for this program, there's a big difference between selling a million people a million heads of lettuce and retail and selling the government a million heads of lettuce at wholesale.

(02-13-2018, 07:36 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 06:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Rice, beans, lettuce, and water. Nothing more.

They could do a lot worse. That's a better diet than mac-n-cheese with OJ from concentrate.

I'm a pretty staunch Libertarian, but if we're going to have these programs let's make them healthy with little motivation to remain on them.

I've got no problem with this. Some people end up selling their food stamps anyway and just giving them food would keep them from doing it.

People in South Florida would be lovin' life !!!

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 09:45 PM by EricC85.)

(02-13-2018, 03:09 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 02:51 PM)EricC85 Wrote: 100% on board with this. Let's help those that need it but this is a much better way to manage it instead of debit cards where they load up on junk and run out of quality food by mid month.

How is it inefficient? They get a card with money loaded on it once a month. That's efficiency.

Easily manipulated is the only problem and the only thing that needs to be fixed.

Deliveries of food boxes is insane and stupid and totally inefficient.

The benefits for starters come with very little restrictions the only restriction is on "cooked" food. The taxpayers are footing assistance at retail instead of wholesale secondly. And finally the ebt system makes it a painless and therefor easy handout to hook onto indefinitely. 

If we're going to help people it has to be short term and with the goal of getting back on their feet. A blank check does none of that. 

Why as a tax payer should I supplement someone with soda, chips, steak, lobster and whatever else those are not essentials! 

Help the poor im all for it, I've been the poor, but we have to be smart about it. A box of essentials does that no one needs to starve but if you want steak you gotta pay for it like the rest of us.

(02-13-2018, 03:25 PM)Jags02 Wrote: The government shouldn't be deciding what they eat. Now I do like the idea of taking advantage of the government's purchasing power, but perhaps we can still leave the decision of what to buy to the food stamp holders. For instance, the government can offer certain staple foods to them at a considerable discount from what they'd pay in a store, and then let the consumer decide. In most cases the consumer would decide for the cheaper government food, and they would be allowed to order how much of what foods they want. The food stamp holder would be charged for the food when they go to collect their food stamps. In other words, if they bought $20 worth of government bacon, when they go to collect they'll simpliy get $20 less worth of food stamps. 

Don't want the government telling people what to eat then don't have the government pay for it.

(02-13-2018, 07:37 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don't like it. Two reasons. One, it seems horribly impractical to figure out a box for every individual family when you consider special health needs, food allergies, dietary practices or requirements, etc. Two, I would not be ok with Uncle Donald telling me what I get to eat. And even then, it's a moot point. The grocery store and drugstore lobby would be devastated if they lost 90% of their SNAP dollars. They'd go to incredibly great lengths to make sure this plan never sees the light of day. Even if they're the suppliers for this program, there's a big difference between selling a million people a million heads of lettuce and retail and selling the government a million heads of lettuce at wholesale.

We shouldn't be subsidizing the grocery companies to begin with. That alone is enough for me to support this cut out the middle man making a profit on tax payers.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 10:06 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

Eric... food boxes, the logistics involved, the new federal employees needed to run this new program.. it would be incredibly expensive. A lot more expensive than just giving out cards with money on it.

Real life example.. I know of a woman, lives in a $500,000 house, gets $350 a month in SNAP.

In no way shape or form should someone living in a house that size get any assistance from the government.

(02-13-2018, 10:05 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Eric... food boxes, the logistics involved, the new federal employees needed to run this new program.. it would be incredibly expensive. A lot more expensive than just giving out cards with money on it.

Real life example.. I know of a woman, lives in a $500,000 house, gets $350 a month in SNAP.

In no way shape or form should someone living in a house that size get any assistance from the government.

Agreed she is commiting fraud and should be prosecuted that's a different issue. The proposal isn't to deliver food boxes it's to distribute food boxes. Set up local food pantries for the needy to pick them up. The private sector has charities like this already it's not that expensive to manage and the savings in delivering wholesale vs retail would more than pay for it.

(02-13-2018, 09:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've got no problem with this. Some people end up selling their food stamps anyway and just giving them food would keep them from doing it.

Food stamps should be eliminated entirely and replaced with a debit card in the name of the recipient, along with strict restrictions on which products can be purchased using SNAP. Add in tougher laws that send you to jail and your kids to foster care if you're caught allowing someone other than an immediate family member to use your card, and I think you'd see the program come into alignment with reality much more quickly.

(02-13-2018, 11:26 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 09:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've got no problem with this. Some people end up selling their food stamps anyway and just giving them food would keep them from doing it.

Food stamps should be eliminated entirely and replaced with a debit card in the name of the recipient, along with strict restrictions on which products can be purchased using SNAP. Add in tougher laws that send you to jail and your kids to foster care if you're caught allowing someone other than an immediate family member to use your card, and I think you'd see the program come into alignment with reality much more quickly.

Agreed. I've heard of people selling their food stamps for cigarettes. Those type of people make me sick.