Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Various Draft Scenarios

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 01:54 AM by chris hill.)

Lamer Jackson in round 1.. 
Hayden hurst in round 2..

That would solidify 2 starting spots in first 2 days of draft..

(02-11-2018, 01:53 AM)chris hill Wrote: Lamer Jackson in round 1.. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not only is it possible, it should be seen as one of the best possible outcomes with our first 2 picks.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

No. Lamar Jackson will be there in round 2. I want nothing to do with him, but taking him in round 1 would be a waste when he'll be available in round 2. I don't see him as an NFL starter at all. Hayden Hurst is a very real possibility in round 2. He would be an excellent selection.

Very possible and I'm sure the rest if the league would love for us to take those 2. A QB that will be on IR most of his career if he plays QB and not a very good QB at that and a TE that's about to turn 25. This draft would probably be the end of Caldwell in Jags. The plan is to upgrade the QB position and this draft wouldn't do that

(02-11-2018, 11:21 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Very possible and I'm sure the rest if the league would love for us to take those 2.  A QB that will be on IR most of his career if he plays QB and not a very good QB at that and a TE that's about to turn 25.  This draft would probably be the end of Caldwell in Jags.  The plan is to upgrade the QB position and this draft wouldn't do that

I can't disagree with your thoughts about Lamar Jackson. He's an amazing athlete, but too much of a risk to take in the 1st round due to his likelihood of injuries. His Gator Bowl performance was not a great audition for Caldwell or any other G.M. for that matter.

On the other hand, I disagree about Hurst. So what, the guy will be 25. If anything, that is a positive considering the Jaguars need a guy who can start and contribute immediately. He shouldn't need the time to develop that some of the other tight ends like Goedert and Gesicki will need. I can't say that he will be the pick in the 2nd round because he may not be graded as highly as some of the other tight ends, but his age should not be considered a negative factor.

(02-11-2018, 02:13 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 11:21 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Very possible and I'm sure the rest if the league would love for us to take those 2.  A QB that will be on IR most of his career if he plays QB and not a very good QB at that and a TE that's about to turn 25.  This draft would probably be the end of Caldwell in Jags.  The plan is to upgrade the QB position and this draft wouldn't do that

I can't disagree with your thoughts about Lamar Jackson. He's an amazing athlete, but too much of a risk to take in the 1st round due to his likelihood of injuries. His Gator Bowl performance was not a great audition for Caldwell or any other G.M. for that matter.

On the other hand, I disagree about Hurst. So what, the guy will be 25. If anything, that is a positive considering the Jaguars need a guy who can start and contribute immediately. He shouldn't need the time to develop that some of the other tight ends like Goedert and Gesicki will need. I can't say that he will be the pick in the 2nd round because he may not be graded as highly as some of the other tight ends, but his age should not be considered a negative factor.

Good points on Hurst, i do like the fact he is a good blocker.

(02-11-2018, 02:13 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

On the other hand, I disagree about Hurst. So what, the guy will be 25. If anything, that is a positive considering the Jaguars need a guy who can start and contribute immediately. He shouldn't need the time to develop that some of the other tight ends like Goedert and Gesicki will need..

Doesn't work like that unfortunately. Regardless of age and college experience TEs tend to take longer to develop and contribute in the NFL.  

For instance a 27 year old rookie TE isn't going to suddenly be able to contribute more than a 21 year old based on his age.  

The main reason Hurst would be able to contribute more early than let's say, Gesicki, would be due to his willingness and ability to block.

I am not a fan of Hurst being 25, but TE does have one of the longest aging curves so being old is passable there more than most positions. There are a ton of TE that are still contributing nicely well into their 30s. Heck there's a good chance that if we did draft Hurst he would be contributing for us longer than Fournette will be.

(02-11-2018, 02:58 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 02:13 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: On the other hand, I disagree about Hurst. So what, the guy will be 25. If anything, that is a positive considering the Jaguars need a guy who can start and contribute immediately. He shouldn't need the time to develop that some of the other tight ends like Goedert and Gesicki will need..

Doesn't work like that unfortunately. Regardless of age and college experience TEs tend to take longer to develop and contribute in the NFL.  

For instance a 27 year old rookie TE isn't going to suddenly be able to contribute more than a 21 year old based on his age.  

The main reason Hurst would be able to contribute more early than let's say, Gesicki, would be due to his willingness and ability to block.
No doubt it takes tight ends, in general, more time to develop into solid players than most other positions. However, there certainly are examples of guys who contributed significantly their first year. Just last season, Evan Engram became a top weapon for the Giants after Beckham got hurt. My thinking on Hurst was that he won't need the time to physically mature like Goedert, Gesecki and others. Whether he can mentally pick up everything required of an NFL tight end to contribute immediately may be another story. It would be a good story if he came here due to his connections to the city (Bolles). We haven't had many guys like that, but Rashean Mathis turned out to be a great pick- also in the 2nd round.

(02-11-2018, 04:50 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 02:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: Doesn't work like that unfortunately. Regardless of age and college experience TEs tend to take longer to develop and contribute in the NFL.  

No doubt it takes tight ends, in general, more time to develop into solid players than most other positions. However, there certainly are examples of guys who contributed significantly their first year. Just last season, Evan Engram became a top weapon for the Giants after Beckham got hurt. My thinking on Hurst was that he won't need the time to physically mature like Goedert, Gesecki and others. Whether he can mentally pick up everything required of an NFL tight end to contribute immediately may be another story. It would be a good story if he came here due to his connections to the city (Bolles). We haven't had many guys like that, but Rashean Mathis turned out to be a great pick- also in the 2nd round.
Always exceptions to the rule.  

Physically you could make the argument that Goedert and Gesicki as already more advanced than Hurst.  

Yeah that's a great story line actually. Heard his father is the dean at Nease. Need to watch more of Hurst tbh.

[/quote]

1. I don't believe Lamar Jackson represents any kind of upgrade over Blake Bortles.

2. Duel-threat quarterbacks don't work out too well in the NFL.

2. Hurst is going to be a 26 year old rookie.