Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mass Shooting at Parkland, FL High School

(02-15-2018, 04:44 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:27 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Ha. Going through a school cafeteria anyone could kill dozens of people with a knife. Or a concert. Ever heard of the femoral artery? Tiny stab and twist, feels like a painful bug bite, dead in 2 to 3 minutes.

Why doesnt anyone ever do that then?
They do, it just doesn't get the same attention. Outside of America, it's a big issue. Just for example, Google the number of school and public stabbings in China.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 05:00 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(02-15-2018, 04:25 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: 18 school shootings in 45 days....and you think people want to give all the guns to government.

That number isn't correct. 

That includes suicides with no other victims, accidentally discharging a weapon without hitting anyone, intentionally discharging a weapon without hitting anyone, a 3rd grade child pulling the trigger on a school resource officer's gun, shooting a gun outside of a school but technically on school grounds, etc.

Of the first 14 "school shootings" only two people died and that was from suicide. 

There were 3 deadly shootings and I could only find two that could be described as "school shootings" as intended to be used.

(02-15-2018, 04:56 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:44 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Why doesnt anyone ever do that then?
They do, it just doesn't get the same attention. Outside of America, it's a big issue. Just for example, Google the number of school and public stabbings in China.

I was talking about in America. Why do they always use a gun?

(02-15-2018, 04:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:25 PM)UCF Knight Wrote: 18 school shootings in 45 days....and you think people want to give all the guns to government.

That number isn't correct. 

That includes suicides with no other victims, accidentally discharging a weapon without hitting anyone, intentionally discharging a weapon without hitting anyone, a 3rd grade child pulling the trigger on a school resource officer's gun, shooting a gun outside of a school but technically on school grounds, etc.

Of the first 14 "school shootings" only two people died and that was from suicide. 

There were 3 deadly shootings and I could only find two that could be described as "school shootings" as intended to be used.

So just out of interest, does a "shooting" only count if someone dies?

I mean for me, the biggest issue is that there are guns present in school grounds anyway!
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(02-15-2018, 05:08 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That number isn't correct. 

I mean for me, the biggest issue is that there are guns present in school grounds anyway!

Back in the day we actually took our guns to school without issue. We had gun and hunting clubs. We were taught gun and firearm safety in the classroom. We stopped all that and now we can't figure out why we have mass shootings.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-15-2018, 04:56 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:44 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Why doesnt anyone ever do that then?

My google must be broken.  I was unable to find anything outside of the US where 17 or more people were killed by stabbing in a school setting.  Not only that, but stabbing someone, or people repeatedly is a much more intimate experience than just shooting a gun.  Stabbing is much more physical and hands on, when shooting you can just pull the trigger and move on without seeing the result of what you've done.  To even compare the two is asinine.

There's a massive issue in this country with the mentally ill, but allowing them to get weapons that can kill a crazy number of people in a short time is only making that situation worse.

(02-15-2018, 05:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 05:08 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: So just out of interest, does a "shooting" only count if someone dies?

Back in the day we actually took our guns to school without issue. We had gun and hunting clubs. We were taught gun and firearm safety in the classroom. We stopped all that and now we can't figure out why we have mass shootings.

That's crazy.. well, for someone who's most dangerous subject at school was Design & Technology which basically set you up for DIY.

I'm not knocking it at all, it's just worlds apart from what I know, that's all.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 05:34 PM by The Drifter.)

One reason for these nut jobs is we quit teaching values and the meaning of life. We took one basic thing out of society (which I can't mention here) and replaced it with every man for himself
I say Bring back family values in the home and quit letting the inmates (The children) run the asylum. You can't even touch your child now a days without them screaming abuse.
Bring back the Draft and have everyone serve 2 years at least in the military, that will teach people a sense of self worth.
Until we get back to teaching the value of human life, we will have these nut jobs running loose and creating havoc and sorrow for everyone else.
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 05:30 PM by Kotite.)

My wife and I both graduated from this school. My mom used to teach there too. I have been getting the news well ahead of the networks. Some parents still didn't know this morning whether or not their kids were gone or still in surgery. One girl has already had two surgeries and needs another tomorrow. A lot of the kids in that school were the children my friends and classmates from my time there. Spent much of the day yesterday tracking these kids and making sure they were safe. This school is very large. Once I saw it on the news, I knew how easy it was to access that part of the campus. One cop is not enough to patrol that whole campus. This whole thing is heartbreaking. One friend's son was right around the corner from the shooter and lost three friends. My own kid was scared to go to school today seeing how it shook me.  Terribly sad day.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM by B2hibry.)

(02-15-2018, 05:03 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:56 PM)B2hibry Wrote: They do, it just doesn't get the same attention. Outside of America, it's a big issue. Just for example, Google the number of school and public stabbings in China.

I was talking about in America. Why do they always use a gun?

They don't always use a gun. Some of the top incendents in American schools involved explosives and knives, with a gun being close behind. Why do the Australians and Chinese always use knives? Why is a vehicle always used in Europe? Sick is sick regardless of tool.

(02-15-2018, 05:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 05:08 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: So just out of interest, does a "shooting" only count if someone dies?

Same here and let me add we also had archery as a Physical Education elective.

(02-15-2018, 05:08 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:58 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That number isn't correct. 

When the term is used to imply that yesterday’s event is common then no it shouldn’t count. If the goal is to play semantics then sure, but a few suicides and times a kid accidentally shoots the ground doesn’t shouldn’t be used in the same argument.

I dont think you realise how rare a random mass killing is in other western nations. But you wont be logical, you've been too brainwashed.

(02-15-2018, 05:49 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

When the term is used to imply that yesterday’s event is common then no it shouldn’t count. If the goal is to play semantics then sure, but a few suicides and times a kid accidentally shoots the ground doesn’t shouldn’t be used in the same argument.

But surely regardless of whether it's homicide, suicide or accident, a fire arm should not be on school grounds, right?

(02-14-2018, 08:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 08:26 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Sounds like their might have been some signs there. Kid was apparently threatening other kids and that's part of why he got expelled. I see a lot of spin on him being DACA or this and that cause hes spanish but honestly thats pretty uncalled for. This is a terrible thing. Although I have to admit, when I see they had a fire alarm right before the shooting, just like in California, the tin hats do start coming out.

You don't think that maybe the shooter pulled the fire alarm?  I don't understand your tin hat comment.

(02-14-2018, 08:32 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Sen. Bill Nelson said he was wearing a gas mask and possessing smoke grenades. He set off a fire alarm to get students out so he had a chance at a higher victim count.

The suspect had been expelled.

He also brought up the prospect of forbidding gun sales to people on a terror watch list. I don't know how this would have prevented this shooting.
They had a fire drill earlier the same day. In San Bernadino they had an active shooter drill earlier the same day. To say its not a little suspicious is being daft IMO.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 06:29 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-15-2018, 04:55 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:27 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Ha. Going through a school cafeteria anyone could kill dozens of people with a knife. Or a concert. Ever heard of the femoral artery? Tiny stab and twist, feels like a painful bug bite, dead in 2 to 3 minutes.

Is that a genuine post? How far do you think someone would get with that approach before someone intervened? 2-3 people? Double figures? Beyond that? C'mon, a gun is much more effective in a multiple victim attack.. if for nothing else, at least the reluctance to get close to the shooter. I know I wouldn't go near someone wielding a gun..

How far would these shooters get if schools were not gun free zones, and many people were armed? 2-3? Double figures? Come on guns are a much more effective deterrent of gun violence than 'gun free zones.'

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(02-15-2018, 06:04 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 05:49 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: When the term is used to imply that yesterday’s event is common then no it shouldn’t count. If the goal is to play semantics then sure, but a few suicides and times a kid accidentally shoots the ground doesn’t shouldn’t be used in the same argument.

But surely regardless of whether it's homicide, suicide or accident, a fire arm should not be on school grounds, right?

That wasn't the argument though. 

I don't have problems with student having guns as long as they stay in vehicles and not inside the school I do, however, want teachers trained in using guns so that we can end these threats a whole lot sooner.

(02-15-2018, 07:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 06:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Unfortunately, there will be no answers to this problem, because Republicans and Democrats refuse to compromise and work together on anything. They just continually blame each other for everything bad in the world. I am a responsible gun owner and I believe certain people should be limited from owning guns. If you are convicted of any type of violent crime or have had any mental health issues, you should not be allowed to own a firearm. if you obtain one illegally, you and the person who sold it to you should go to federal prison on set, minimum sentences of 10 years with no parole. A second offense should result in 30 years with no chance at parole. A 3rd offense should result in life in prison.

You have no idea how large the police state will need to be to make your fantasy a reality. You really want the State in your medical record? Because dollars to doughnuts you have something there that they will use against you to strip you of your rights. Hell, you just admitted to owning a gun, that makes you a loon and a risk in the view of your political adversaries.

I don't care. I have nothing to hide. Don't be so paranoid.

(02-15-2018, 06:28 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 04:55 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: Is that a genuine post? How far do you think someone would get with that approach before someone intervened? 2-3 people? Double figures? Beyond that? C'mon, a gun is much more effective in a multiple victim attack.. if for nothing else, at least the reluctance to get close to the shooter. I know I wouldn't go near someone wielding a gun..

How far would these shooters get if schools were not gun free zones, and many people were armed? 2-3? Double figures? Come on guns are a much more effective deterrent of gun violence than 'gun free zones.'

While it's unfortunate, but I think it is time schools adapt to the rediculous culture in America. Most large schools have a Resource Officer but I think it is time to place a rotation of Resource Officer Teams. Either pay to have armed officers roam campus or incentivized an armed off-duty officer presence. I'm not certain eliminating gun free zones or arming teachers addresses the issue.

(02-15-2018, 12:10 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The 2nd Amendment was written in 1791 when people were using muskets.  There is no need for anyone to own a AR-15.  Let the sporting clubs secure them for shooting on their designated sites if people want to for AR-15's for sport.

[Image: matchlocklever1.JPG]

This guy took out 4 people (plus himself) in a outskirts of Pittsburgh a few weeks ago.
[Image: melcroft31n-2-web.jpg]

Who are you, or anyone else to say which types of guns a person should/should not own? The problem isn't the types of guns being used in these massacres. It's that the wrong people are allowed to own them. 99.9% of the people who own these guns are perfectly law abiding citizens. The issue is with the mental health system. It's broken and we have too many "loons" out there who aren't being regulated and they are getting their hands on these weapons. The kid in Florida had a history of violent behavior. He had no business owning any firearms at all.

A lot of departments have reserve / retired officer programs. The agencies usually only use them to transport fleet cars to-and-from their mechanics or small admin details. The reserve / retired have an incentive to stay mandated so that they can maintain the same rights as active duty law enforcement. How about we use these groups as school security instead. It wouldn't solve every schools issues, but it'd certainly add a whole lot more security to the schools.