Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mass Shooting at Parkland, FL High School

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 07:02 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(02-15-2018, 06:40 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 06:28 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: How far would these shooters get if schools were not gun free zones, and many people were armed? 2-3? Double figures? Come on guns are a much more effective deterrent of gun violence than 'gun free zones.'

While it's unfortunate, but I think it is time schools adapt to the rediculous culture in America. Most large schools have a Resource Officer but I think it is time to place a rotation of Resource Officer Teams. Either pay to have armed officers roam campus or incentivized an armed off-duty officer presence. I'm not certain eliminating gun free zones or arming teachers addresses the issue.

Agree that this is the least of what is required. Having 1 officer on these large campus is not enough. When I used to work in a psychiatric facility we had something called a show of force. When a resident would act up, you get a bunch of people around him. Amazingly 95% of the time, no matter how 'unbalanced' they were, people would stop acting up when they saw 5 or 6 guys around them. Now of course you had a couple who would keep going anyway, and those you would take down, but it was far less common than you would expect going into a psychiatric facility.

The same principle could be applied to high schools. If you knew your highschool had ten armed guards that were rotating around in pairs (so you can't catch them alone), you might rethink your plan to come in guns blazing.

There are other solutions as well. You could separate these giant high schools into a bunch of smaller ones, and perhaps mix youth into different districts further from their houses. This would have a couple of effects. 1. It would be harder to get to the highschool without a vehicle 2. A smaller highschool is easier to guard, plus it decreases the chances of a kid getting 'missed' having signs just because there are less. 3. it would decrease gangs due to less numbers.

Humans tend to behave better in smaller groups than larger ones. Protests that are small never do the small amount as large violent ones. Anyway, thats some of my thoughts. I am sure there are other ways.

(02-15-2018, 06:53 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 06:28 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: How far would these shooters get if schools were not gun free zones, and many people were armed? 2-3? Double figures? Come on guns are a much more effective deterrent of gun violence than 'gun free zones.'

So let's solve gun problems with guns? Sounds logical.

(02-15-2018, 06:34 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That wasn't the argument though. 

I don't have problems with student having guns as long as they stay in vehicles and not inside the school I do, however, want teachers trained in using guns so that we can end these threats a whole lot sooner.

I'm not suggesting it is, I'm just saying that whether it's a homicide, suicide or accidental with no one hurt, a gun has still been fired in what should ALWAYS been considered a place of safety. I know that's not the way of the world these days, and that's really saddening.

Its worked for the US and the entire world with Nukes. Has a long track record.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Shooting at Parkland, FL High School - by HandsomeRob86 - 02-15-2018, 06:57 PM