Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mass Shooting at Parkland, FL High School

(02-16-2018, 10:14 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 08:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Good points. Hate has been around forever. Long before gunpowder and firearms were invented mankind had sticks and stones and blades and bows. That didn't seem to slow anybody down from kicking [BLEEP] and taking names when they wanted to for multiple reasons. My dad said the same thing. He had rifles, shotguns and pistols growing up and he grew up relatively poor. "We used our [BLEEP] hands and fists back then to handle disputes when words could no longer suffice... like men...". That's what he said. And I believe him. 

I saw that video too. I think it was down in Dade County. That was CRAZY. Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes...or die. Family values are dwindling down each decade. I blame technology to an extent. 10 - 15 years ago I could drive down San Pablo on a Saturday or Sunday and that elementary park would be flooded with kids riding or running around the track, playing basketball, playing soccer or football and now every weekend when I get back with my dad from fishing it's a ghost town year round. 

Saddest [BLEEP] I've ever seen man. I was born in 1988. I'll be 30 in April. I grew up during an interesting era where video games were still in the 16 bit phase and Mortal Kombat was the big burden of Government to get off store shelves. Fast forward to now. THAT was a joke in comparison to the [BLEEP] kids can access on TV through Youtube, Twitch, Xvideos, etc. It can't be a coincidence that a rise in violence, suicide, STD's, depression, drug dependency, illegal activity and so forth have sky rocketed as technology has sky rocketed. 

Whether it's programming or not. There needs to be a tighter emphasis on family values again. Parents need to educate their children on the difference between reality and fantasy. I think that's a start.
I think there are plenty of families who still hold family values. This isn't to say that when I go to restaurants I don't see a family of 4 all on their phones sometimes but I also see parents who have the coloring books out. My family is one of them. I have a 2 year old and the last thing I'm gonna do is throw a tablet in front of his face to get him calm.

I think things are changing at a rapid pace because of technology. In the 70's and 80's, things didn't evolve this quickly. I think it's becoming harder and harder to keep up with these changes. I don't think technology is bad because eventually, this young generation will find a cure for cancer by using technology. I mean they already have the ability to find a marker in someones DNA that detects breast cancer before it happens. I think parents of this young generation just need to keep better tabs on what their child is viewing online. Back when I was in school, if a kid was being bullied at school, it stopped when they went home. Now, they are bullied at school and then online when they go home. There's no break. It's constant.

I'm 32 so I grew up like you did. I was outside until it was dark and then played a little Mario Kart on N64. It's different now and I don't think different is bad. I just think it's incredibly hard to keep up with it and educate kids on it. Once you educate them on one thing, something new comes up.

Agreed. I am aiming for that balance too on my end and I want to instill those very same values within my own family when the time comes. But like you said. Once you get done resolving one thing out comes another one. I am all for advancements in multiple fields. Technology included. But it's a fast moving river at this point and it's truly terrifying. Elon Musk has talked about the future. Along with others in or around his field. 

Of course the main topic is A.I. And now you're seeing A.I being placed in robots built like us. To me that's dangerous. That's what I am mostly concerned with in the future. Because if it's in the wrong hands, which in most cases it will be. You're talking about the possibilities of super machines faster than us, smarter than us, stronger than us and even capable of working non stop when it comes to productivity. We're basically staring down the barrel of the possible end of humanity as we know it today. 

And what happens when Corporations start getting into that field? They'll naturally aim to replace us with them. So now you have more jobless people who need some type of assistance. It's just a weird situation that's just around the corner. I mean it's basically already here. It's just a matter of time before it develops even further. Hell, didn't the Saudis just recognize "Sophia" as an A.I machine with human rights? What kind of [BLEEP] is that?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Shooting at Parkland, FL High School - by Caldrac - 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM