Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mass Shooting at Parkland, FL High School

At least 14 dead, probably more.

A duplicate thread is in the Political forum for comments that are inappropriate here.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What the [BLEEP] is wrong with people? I don't get it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-15-2018, 08:20 AM)Rico Wrote: What the [BLEEP] is wrong with people?  I don't get it.

There's a lot wrong with some people. Mostly it's just brokenness, sickness, and plain old evil.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Those people didn't have to die.

I'm absolutely swamped at work and I am fresh off of completely ####ing up Valentine's night for my girl, but this is all I can think of. I'm almost physically ill with this.

What have we done that this kind of thing keeps happening? What kind of society and culture have we created and nurtured that this kind of thing seems to be ingrained now into our daily lives? What can I do to stop it from happening again?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

While the fix is a difficult one, the root causes keep rearing their ugly head. We have a new American culture that is much different than decades past. We've gone from knowing our neighbors, interacting/bettering our neighborhoods, getting involved and stopping situations deemed outside social norms, and living lives disconnected from reality, yet constantly connected through technology. In short, Americans are selfish. Get back to family, neighboring, and correcting public wrongs. People are brave as hell online, yet cower in the face of conflict/correction for the better. This psycho dude was throwing up big ol' flashing signs, yet nobody lifted a finger to call it out. We can't ignore glarring signs and just pretend it will go away and not eventually empact us. Be a snitch, rat, or whatever term you want to use. Call it like you see it and start being an involved citizen.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 04:27 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Unfortunately, 17 lives were lost and probably thousands of the lives of the family, friends, students, and other were impacted.

Extremely sad to thing that tomorrow the victims will be just another stat on the books of US History.

Every once in a while I randomly go to the website below to see the names and faces of victims of 911 to remind myself to enjoy every day of life, regardless of some stressful situations one may encounter, because it can end in a second.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memoria...s/by-name/

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Parkland HS Victims  Sad

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/remember...=1.3823022

(02-15-2018, 01:49 PM)B2hibry Wrote: While the fix is a difficult one, the root causes keep rearing their ugly head. We have a new American culture that is much different than decades past. We've gone from knowing our neighbors, interacting/bettering our neighborhoods, getting involved and stopping situations deemed outside social norms, and living lives disconnected from reality, yet constantly connected through technology. In short, Americans are selfish. Get back to family, neighboring, and correcting public wrongs. People are brave as hell online, yet cower in the face of conflict/correction for the better. This psycho dude was throwing up big ol' flashing signs, yet nobody lifted a finger to call it out. We can't ignore glarring signs and just pretend it will go away and not eventually empact us. Be a snitch, rat, or whatever term you want to use. Call it like you see it and start being an involved citizen.

I happen to think that the part in bold is one of the major causes of this issue.  Just look around.  Go to a restaurant, a bar, the smoking area at your place of employment, etc.  Heck look at people in cars.  Nobody is interacting with one another face-to-face anymore.  Everyone has their heads buried in their phones and/or tablets.  This very website message board is accessed by mobile devices far more than desktop computers.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are the means of communication in today's society.

Me personally, I took the day off from work tomorrow and am going to spend a 4 day weekend (Monday is a holiday) pretty much disconnected out on my property.  I have friends coming out to help with some of the land clearing work as well as some outdoor recreation.

I'm not saying that technology and social media is totally to blame for tragedies like this (I happen to be a tech geek myself), but I do think that it is a contributing factor.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-15-2018, 08:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 01:49 PM)B2hibry Wrote: While the fix is a difficult one, the root causes keep rearing their ugly head. We have a new American culture that is much different than decades past. We've gone from knowing our neighbors, interacting/bettering our neighborhoods, getting involved and stopping situations deemed outside social norms, and living lives disconnected from reality, yet constantly connected through technology. In short, Americans are selfish. Get back to family, neighboring, and correcting public wrongs. People are brave as hell online, yet cower in the face of conflict/correction for the better. This psycho dude was throwing up big ol' flashing signs, yet nobody lifted a finger to call it out. We can't ignore glarring signs and just pretend it will go away and not eventually empact us. Be a snitch, rat, or whatever term you want to use. Call it like you see it and start being an involved citizen.

I happen to think that the part in bold is one of the major causes of this issue.  Just look around.  Go to a restaurant, a bar, the smoking area at your place of employment, etc.  Heck look at people in cars.  Nobody is interacting with one another face-to-face anymore.  Everyone has their heads buried in their phones and/or tablets.  This very website message board is accessed by mobile devices far more than desktop computers.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are the means of communication in today's society.

Me personally, I took the day off from work tomorrow and am going to spend a 4 day weekend (Monday is a holiday) pretty much disconnected out on my property.  I have friends coming out to help with some of the land clearing work as well as some outdoor recreation.

I'm not saying that technology and social media is totally to blame for tragedies like this (I happen to be a tech geek myself), but I do think that it is a contributing factor.

Last week my WiFi was down for an hour.. the wife and I had to chat with one another.. it was awful.

Serious note though, the part in bold, I think you're on to something there.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...