Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should we draft another RB?

I'm of the belief that if we decide to roll with Bortles for another season we must insure our running game is consistent from game to game and not hit and miss as it was last season. Part of our issues in the running game last year were injuries to Fournette, inconsistent blocking upfront, and inconsistent play from others (Ivory and to some extent Fournette). I've come to the conclusion that the way Fournette plays as a hard downhill runner, expecting him to play a full 16 game season is going to be unrealistic. I expect O-line to be a priority this offseason and with Ivory most likely being a cap casualty this year, and Yeldon on the last year of his contact, now may be the time to start looking at the future. I was browsing the eligible draft prospects this year and it appears this years running back class is pretty deep. Here are my personal rankings so far:

1. Saquon Barkley | Penn State
2. Sony Michel | Georgia
3. Derrius Guice | LSU
4. Rashaad Penny | San Diego State
5. Nick Chubb | Georgia
6. Ronald Jones II | USC
7. Royce Freeman | Oregon
8. Bo Scarbrough | Alabama
9. Kerryon Johnson | Auburn
10. Mark Walton | Miami
11. Kalen Ballage | Arizona State
12. Josh Adams | Notre Dame

Even though it may be considered a luxury pick, I think now is the time to draft a developmental running back who can not only spell Fournette but can start for a few games in the inevitable event Fournette is unable to go. If a guy like Freeman or Ballage is still available in the 3rd or 4th rounds I believe it would be in our best interest to pull the trigger.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hope we don't but if we do, I like Freeman

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM by JackCity.)

We could do with a back who offers lots of value in the pass game. Someone who can offer big play ability.

That may be Corey Grant at some point but in terms of draft prospects who fit that role my favourite 3 are Nyheim Hines from NC State ,Ballage, and Mark Walton.

Hines is a 4.3 guy who's a great pass protector and was used a ton as a receiver. 5'9 195 but sturdy as hell.

Might possibly look at Ito Smith in the late rounds too.

If they can get a powerback guy in the 6th or 7th to sort of grow into Ivory's role as a spell-back/ back-up to Fournette when he's banged up.

(I'm hoping they get smart and play more #27/#30 two back sets next season. And I like Yeldon on third down.)

There ought to be some guys like Rashad Penny, Darrell Williams, and the like worth a late pick.

(02-15-2018, 01:44 PM)knarnn Wrote: I'm of the belief that if we decide to roll with Bortles for another season we must insure our running game is consistent from game to game and not hit and miss as it was last season. Part of our issues in the running game last year were injuries to Fournette, inconsistent blocking upfront, and inconsistent play from others (Ivory and to some extent Fournette). I've come to the conclusion that the way Fournette plays as a hard downhill runner, expecting him to play a full 16 game season is going to be unrealistic. I expect O-line to be a priority this offseason and with Ivory most likely being a cap casualty this year, and Yeldon on the last year of his contact, now may be the time to start looking at the future. I was browsing the eligible draft prospects this year and it appears this years running back class is pretty deep. Here are my personal rankings so far:

2. Sony Michel | Georgia
3. Derrius Guice | LSU
5. Nick Chubb | Georgia
6. Ronald Jones II | USC
10. Mark Walton | Miami

Even though it may be considered a luxury pick, I think now is the time to draft a developmental running back who can not only spell Fournette but can start for a few games in the inevitable event Fournette is unable to go. If a guy like Freeman or Ballage is still available in the 3rd or 4th rounds I believe it would be in our best interest to pull the trigger.

Tom Coughlin once said, "You can't have enough running backs." 

I remember the Jaguars already had RB James Stewart when they drafted Fred Taylor. Stewart was developing into a fine pro. Fred brought on competition that year. 

Before that we had James Stewart and Natrone Means.

Everybody remembers we had Fred Taylor when we drafted Maurice Jones-Drew. 

So sure it's fine to draft a running back.

Naturally, you draft the best players with each pick regardless of what position they happen to play. You do have some flexibility in the scouting grades. Several players will grade out the same and it's rare that five or six players graded the same play the same position.

So it's not like you end up with five offensive tackles in one draft. (although it wouldn't hurt to have five OTs)

If we reach a stage in the draft where we could draft a running back, but a player at another position carries a higher grade, you have to select the player with the better grade because you are getting a better football player. If there's a RB graded 5.5 and a SS or ILB with a 5.8 are also available you take either the ILB or the SS dependent upon which position is hungrier for talent.

It's ideal to draft the most talented player possible because you must get maximum value out of the pick you are given. Guys that talk about drafting a player to provide depth at a position make no sense at all. That means they will select a CB with a 5.2 and skip a OG with a 6.7 grade because there are already three OGs on the roster. The 6.7 OG is a much better football player than the 5.2 CB.

If you draft the CB instead, you have made your roster LESS talented.

There are a number of talent RBs in this draft if we happen to select one, but beware of the hype. Some of the best RB and WR talent is found everywhere in the draft.

If you can, take a look at Monmouth DB Mike Basile. Terrific football player.

No to drafting a running back unless it's in round 6 or 7. Fournette, Yeldon and Grant are a very good three-some and they can add someone else in the later rounds or as an undrafted free agent. The team needs to address other position like offensive line, q.b., tight end, linebacker and nickel before running back.

I think there are bigger priorities in the early rounds, but wouldn’t be against picking one in the middle rounds. And I think we could get a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. We have higher priorities. We also still have Grant and Yeldon. Maybe bring in a bigger, UDFA to compete for a backup role, but don't waste a draft pick.

(02-15-2018, 06:05 PM)Andy G Wrote: I think there are bigger priorities in the early rounds, but wouldn’t be against picking one in the middle rounds. And I think we could get a good one.

Im leaning this way as well. I went 12 deep in my RB evaluations so far and all of these guys have 4th round or higher draft grades. This RB class is extremely deep and there is a great possibility there may be a good one still hanging around in the middle rounds.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(02-15-2018, 07:02 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 06:05 PM)Andy G Wrote: I think there are bigger priorities in the early rounds, but wouldn’t be against picking one in the middle rounds. And I think we could get a good one.

Im leaning this way as well. I went 12 deep in my RB evaluations so far and all of these guys have 4th round or higher draft grades. This RB class is extremely deep and there is a great possibility there may be a good one still hanging around in the middle rounds.

Agreed. There will be some very good RB's that won't even get drafted.

(02-15-2018, 01:44 PM)knarnn Wrote: I'm of the belief that if we decide to roll with Bortles for another season we must insure our running game is consistent from game to game and not hit and miss as it was last season. Part of our issues in the running game last year were injuries to Fournette, inconsistent blocking upfront, and inconsistent play from others (Ivory and to some extent Fournette). I've come to the conclusion that the way Fournette plays as a hard downhill runner, expecting him to play a full 16 game season is going to be unrealistic. I expect O-line to be a priority this offseason and with Ivory most likely being a cap casualty this year, and Yeldon on the last year of his contact, now may be the time to start looking at the future. I was browsing the eligible draft prospects this year and it appears this years running back class is pretty deep. Here are my personal rankings so far:

2. Sony Michel | Georgia
3. Derrius Guice | LSU
5. Nick Chubb | Georgia
6. Ronald Jones II | USC
10. Mark Walton | Miami

I don't think running backs need development.   Rookie running backs do very well right out of the gate.  

I wouldn't object if we draft one late, but I wouldn't make it a priority.   I think improving the offensive line would do a lot more for our running game than another backup running back.

(02-15-2018, 03:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If they can get a powerback guy in the 6th or 7th to sort of grow into Ivory's role as a spell-back/ back-up to Fournette when he's banged up.

(I'm hoping they get smart and play more #27/#30 two back sets next season. And I like Yeldon on third down.)

There ought to be some guys like Rashad Penny, Darrell Williams, and the like worth a late pick.

A guy that may light it up at the Combine is Kalen Ballage. I did NOT want to watch any video of him figuring Jaylen Samuels was enough. 

Then I watched this:

https://youtu.be/OJiZpdndlYQ

Wow. Obviously, he is not a player to run a sideline sweep with, but I seriously doubt there is any other back in this draft that can match him between the tackles.

I'm sold.

If the value is there, sure.

I wouldn’t mind someone like Jaylen Samuels in the middle rounds. He could play RB and also line up at TE, FB, and WR.

But otherwise, I agree with most here that I wouldn’t draft a RB high because Fournette, Yeldon, and Grant should suffice.

Samuels might be had in the 5th round. He would be a nice weapon for Blake. Design a handful of plays to utilize him each week.

(02-26-2018, 08:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Samuels might be had in the 5th round. He would be a nice weapon for Blake. Design a handful of plays to utilize him each week.

We don't have a 5th round pick though

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 11:32 PM by knarnn.)

(02-26-2018, 08:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Samuels might be had in the 5th round. He would be a nice weapon for Blake. Design a handful of plays to utilize him each week.

We still can’t figure out how to use Grant after 3 years. I feel Samuels would be wasted here as a RB.

This team wants to be known for running the ball. The way Fournette runs if he runs the ball 20 times a game for 16 games that's 320 punishing runs. He makes nobody miss and is looking to run you over. I pray he works on some moves this offseason to make people miss other than his spin move. Yeldon and Grant are solid running backs, but when you want to be known for running the rock they aren't the RBs you need in the stable to hold up if Fournette goes down. I believe the key first is offensive line, so I expect that area to be addressed first. In the 3/4 round if there's a guy who offers great value at RB, I don't think they'll hesitate. We look at it in the way we do because they took Fournete 4th overall with most of us agree that it's not the spot to take one. It's over with, but if they want to be a run run run first team they'll likely get a high caliber young back behind him.

Give each 15 carries a game, control clock, and use the RPO with Blake while playing champsionship defense is what they want to do. That was the plan with Ivory, but he was a wash.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 01:34 AM by JackCity.)

(02-26-2018, 10:28 PM)knarnn Wrote:

We still can’t figure out how to use Grant after 3 years. I feel Samuels would be wasted here as a RB.

Different OCs/HCs. College Grant was a pretty poor player. Didn't deserve any burn as a rookie. At least now he's shown he can take contact which was one of his big flaws.

I think we'll see him a lot more this season.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018, 02:31 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(02-26-2018, 10:28 PM)knarnn Wrote:

This highlights-only reel of Kalen Ballage is impressive. Most might not imagine he could make so many explosive plays.  

https://youtu.be/54xVcK8dAJU

He shows outside speed, but I would keep him between the tackles. He gets really low and works his way through some pretty small creases. Any number of his runs show defenders being chopped down like they were hit by a weed-whacker.

He lists as 4.49 in the forty. That's better than Samuels (4.62).