Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Favorite TE prospects 2018 (merged)

At the moment, there seems to be disagreement over who the best tight end in the draft will be, and who we should pick (assuming we pick one in the first couple of rounds)

So who are your favourites and why?

Hurst? Andrews? Goedert? Gesicki? Fumagalli?

And when do you look to pick them?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I really like Hayden Hurst. And the reason being is the consistency and overall balance he brings to the table. The only knock is his age. He'll be a 25 year old rookie. But with his size and ability you could probably get a good 5 - 7 year run out of him. He's probably the best blocker of the top rated players but he's also a hell of a receiver in traffic.

The one thing that stood out to me was that win they had against Michigan in that bowl game earlier this year. He only had 3 catches in that game but they were all critical and impressive plays to his credit. The only problem I have with him is that you'll have to probably reach and take him at 29 if you really, really like him and I just don't like him enough to justify that. Especially if a good QB or OG is on the board.

After him I would say I really like Mark Andrews. He's not the best blocker in the world but he's a great red zone threat. He just seems to have a nose for it and he comes up big when they need him to. He's definitely someone they could look at in the 2ND RD and possibly the 3RD RD but he's really going to need to work on his blocking ability and separation. He's great in short space and mid level passing plays. Which is where he's made his bread and butter with all of the TD's he's added at Oklahoma. But he's really a one trick pony.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The one that Kate Upton has is pretty nice.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Goedert guy here

(02-14-2018, 09:52 AM)Deacon Wrote: The one that Kate Upton has is pretty nice.

But can she block?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-14-2018, 11:20 AM)Rico Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 09:52 AM)Deacon Wrote: The one that Kate Upton has is pretty nice.

But can she block?

She has a habit of getting in the way of things, that's for sure.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Goedert
Hurst
Andrews

in that order

I don't really have a standout favorite, but I'd probably rank them.......

1. Mark Andrews
2. Dallas Goedert
3. Hayden Hurst
4. Troy Fumagalli
5. Ian Thomas

(02-14-2018, 12:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't really have a standout favorite, but I'd probably rank them.......

1. Mark Andrews
2. Dallas Goedert
3. Hayden Hurst
4. Troy Fumagalli
5. Ian Thomas

I'm trying to get a feel for these TEs, but your responses confuse me a little. I noticed you panning Gesicki because he's so bad as a blocker, and you don't even rank him despite his impressive size and outstanding ball skills, however, you rank Mark Andrews number one when he's also said to struggle big time as a blocker. Hayden Hurst, who you have ranked 3rd, is also rather raw as a blocker having played basketball, and everyone agrees that he lacks "power" or "strength at the point of attack."

'02

(02-14-2018, 02:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 12:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't really have a standout favorite, but I'd probably rank them.......

1. Mark Andrews
2. Dallas Goedert
3. Hayden Hurst
4. Troy Fumagalli
5. Ian Thomas

I'm trying to get a feel for these TEs, but your responses confuse me a little. I noticed you panning Gesicki because he's too raw as a blocker, and you don't even rank him despite his impressive size and outstanding ball skills, however, you rank Mark Andrews number one when he's also said to struggle big time as a blocker. 

Andrews isn't the best blocker, but he's much better than Gesicki. Add the fact that Andrews may be the best "big play" TE in this draft as well. He actually plays like a WR. I've seen him run away from defenders, which is something I haven't seen from Gesicki. I would rank Gesicki #7, behind Herndon. There is some very quality TE's in this draft. Maybe none that are elite, but the depth is certainly there to get a really good starter all the way into the 4th or 5th round.

1. Goedert
2. Gesicki
3. Andrews

So far they're the ones I've watched the most.

1. Andrews
2. Goedert
tier beak
3. Gesicki (in the right scheme he could be with the top tier but not in ours)
4. Hurst

1. Andrews
2. Hurst
3. Goedert
4. Gesicki

None of these TE's really strike me as a great talent. It takes a lot of time for TE's to develop and be productive. I don't see one in the class even in the same ballpark as Howard, Njoku, and Engram from last draft. Would like to see how these guys time in the 40. 4.6ish needs to be the mark and a willing blocker.

(02-15-2018, 12:24 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: None of these TE's really strike me as a great talent. It takes a lot of time for TE's to develop and be productive. I don't see one in the class even in the same ballpark as Howard, Njoku, and Engram from last draft. Would like to see how these guys time in the 40. 4.6ish needs to be the mark and a willing blocker.

Last year was a historically good draft for TEs so probably not wise to use that as a benchmark.

(02-15-2018, 12:27 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 12:24 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: None of these TE's really strike me as a great talent. It takes a lot of time for TE's to develop and be productive. I don't see one in the class even in the same ballpark as Howard, Njoku, and Engram from last draft. Would like to see how these guys time in the 40. 4.6ish needs to be the mark and a willing blocker.

Last year was a historically good draft for TEs so probably not wise to use that as a benchmark.

Not really. Also, the three I listed went 19,23, and 29. Doesn't sound historic. I can't justify taking a TE of these talents at the Jags pick out of need. The reality is their talent isn't up to par with the new age of TE. Rather see them go defense or O-line. Very solid defensive draft. No need to over draft a TE in the first round. If in the 2nd round some of those guys are available sure, but not in the 1st just for need.

(02-15-2018, 01:20 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 12:27 AM)JackCity Wrote: Last year was a historically good draft for TEs so probably not wise to use that as a benchmark.

Not really. Also, the three I listed went 19,23, and 29. Doesn't sound historic. I can't justify taking a TE of these talents at the Jags pick out of need. The reality is their talent isn't up to par with the new age of TE. Rather see them go defense or O-line. Very solid defensive draft. No need to over draft a TE in the first round. If in the 2nd round some of those guys are available sure, but not in the 1st just for need.

If we are intent on taking a TE or OG with our first pick, the smart thing to do would be to trade down into the upper portion of round 2. We could add picks and we would likely still get the players we target.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 08:15 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I still think Will Hernandez is the pick if he is there. He he is exactly what Tom is looking for in a LG next to Cam. I think we get a TE in the 2nd

I wouldn't be shocked if we trade up a bit in the 2nd if our TE falls to the mid 2nd that we really like. Every year we have traded up at some point for a player we really like

Kinda depends how you use them all, Andrews could be a beast in the right scheme but probably not power run. I'm fine with Goedert, would put him at 1. Not a huge fan of Hurst, but wouldn't mind him in the 2nd or 3rd. Just don't find tight end as a huge need position, Lewis is old but fine and with the depth we have at WR why take one of them off to put a TE wide if he isn't a stud?

Mark Andrews.. 

I watched this guys tape.. The things I seen was this.. He had separation ability plus was making crazy cuts.. Something the other TE don't seem to have.. Goedert just plays slow and has a straight line type of running.. Plus has small.. Hayden Hurst is ok but has nothing like Goedert or Andrews.. Plus another thing is Andrews can block I think..