Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB Aside, Which Position Would You Want To See Strengthened This Offseason?

Pretty straightforward question. The team doesn't have a ton of weaknesses. Overall, for me, it would be interior offensive line and tight end.

I hope they can bring Omemeh back. I think he has done an admirable job here. However, if any of the interior positions can be upgraded, I'm all for it. Linder can always move if a quality center falls into our laps. I also wouldn't be against trying Shatley at center and moving Linder to one of the guard spots. The team played surprisingly well with that lineup last year.

Unlike many here, I am a huge fan of Marcedes Lewis. I see him coming back in 2018, but that being his last year before retiring. Finding a replacement to start grooming wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Aside from that, nickle back could be a hole if Aaron Colvin leaves via FA. That and safety depth  would be a huge plus.

Aside from that, the team seems pretty solid. I think this is the first year ever where if the Jags can keep their free agents, it will be a huge win for the team.

Those are my thoughts on things.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If I had to pick one position it would be TE

My opinion for the last 10 years has been that offensive line is the biggest weakness on our team and it remains unchanged.

We need two new starters on the interior immediately and need to attempt to find an upgrade/replacement at right tackle. We need additional depth at center. We need competition at left tackle.

Guard and TE

The oline is upgradeable, but it's also fine as is. NextGenStats just released their oline ranks and the Jags ranked 13th in both pass and run blocking. Again, not great but not screaming for an upgrade.

Our TEs, however, are one of the worst groups in the league. Marcedes can block still but he's on his last legs and no one else is going to be better than average. That should be priority #1 after QB. Get a good one in FA and also draft one high.

(02-17-2018, 02:24 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: My opinion for the last 10 years has been that offensive line is the biggest weakness on our team and it remains unchanged.  

We need two new starters on the interior immediately and need to attempt to find an upgrade/replacement at right tackle.  We need additional depth at center.  We need competition at left tackle.

I agree with all that.

(02-17-2018, 02:24 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: My opinion for the last 10 years has been that offensive line is the biggest weakness on our team and it remains unchanged.  

We need two new starters on the interior immediately and need to attempt to find an upgrade/replacement at right tackle.  We need additional depth at center.  We need competition at left tackle.

The 24 sacks yielded last year are an all-time low for the Jaguars' franchise. What are you talking about? That number tied for third best pass protection in the entire NFL.

I believe we have a lousy quarterback way sooner than suggest our offensive line isn't just as improved as our defensive line.

An OC who doesn’t go full-on predictable from a winning scheme, and a DC who doesn’t go soft zone, when the chips are down. Lord I hope that game was a huge learning experience for those guys.

That's a tough question to answer at this point. Some units are going to be reduced talent-wise due to free agency.

Quarterback is the obvious position in need of upgrade. This can be solved easily by bringing in A. J. McCarron. He was just awarded unrestricted free agency by an arbitrator and does NOT desire to be a salary cap mega-burden. He wants to play football - something he didn't get to do under Cincinnati Bengals' head coach, Marvin Lewis, who is tied to his franchise guy, Andy Dalton.

I am sure that Tom Coughlin and David Caldwell will do the right thing.

For defense, I would like to see the talent level continue to rise providing us more skill in nickel and dime defenses. I think speed is pretty good on defense. The defensive line looked a bit war-weary at times. Everybody there can solve whatever short-fall there is in stamina by spending the off-season getting stronger. When you climb so far up the mountain and find you don't quite reach the peak it serves to motivate you. You push it in the off-season so that finishing the climb next season becomes more of a hop, skip and a jump.

For the rest of the offense, continue to draft football players and develop their skills through training. It is really important to stay active in the off-season. Skills players should accept the challenge to get better than last year's results. The good news there is no one ball carrier or pass catcher seems to be maxed out, meaning there's room for personal improvement.

As soon as we have a better idea what kind of personnel turn-over actually happens, we can be more specific focusing on which individual units need attention.

What a surprise. First idiot that brings up QB in a NON QB thread.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-17-2018, 08:44 AM)Rico Wrote: What a surprise.  First idiot that brings up QB in a NON QB thread.

That’s allowed for the great and immensely accomplished A.J. McCarron.

Other than QB, I would rank them in this order......

1. OG
2. TE
3. CB
4. LB
5. WR
6. Swing Tackle
7. backup RB
8. backup FS

That's about as short of a list for any draft that we've had in a long time. The fact that I essentially used 3 backup positions is telling as well. We're sitting in pretty good shape.

I’m going with a tie for TE/Guard. Just like everyone else lol

Blake or Cousins will need more weapons and the line needs to create more holes for Fournette. Rookie TEs don’t normally produce big numbers so if we are all in this year, expect Burton or ASJ. If they do indeed plan on building through the draft, expect Goedert or Andrews.

LG RG RT TE all need to be upgraded

LOG
ROG
Nickel CB
TE
LB
WR
RT
RB

(02-17-2018, 08:26 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: That's a tough question to answer at this point. 

No it's not.

(02-17-2018, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: An OC who doesn’t go full-on predictable from a winning scheme, and a DC who doesn’t go soft zone, when the chips are down.  Lord I hope that game was a huge learning experience for those guys.

I am so with you on this. I really hope TC is in the room and very vocal when they evaluate that game (and the four or 5 others that suffered from similar actions.)

I don't think changing coordinators is the right move, but a shift in those particular strategies would be big.

(02-17-2018, 07:41 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

The 24 sacks yielded last year are an all-time low for the Jaguars' franchise. What are you talking about? That number tied for third best pass protection in the entire NFL.

I believe we have a lousy quarterback way sooner than suggest our offensive line isn't just as improved as our defensive line.

To start, our run to pass ratio is disproportionately more than any team in the NFL by a wide margin. When we have passed this year, we have run a ton of playaction and short underneath stuff with max protection. Our sack numbers are very artificially deflated.

Our run blocking was bad. Our top rushers rushed for less than 4 yards per carry and that's with Fournette popping off 90 yard runs. All the blame doesn't go squarely on the line here as we ran into loaded boxes a ton, but it was clear as day that they got little push. The big runs were usually setup by big blocks from Cann, but he was far too inconsistent. Do you think that if we had Manuwai and Naoele in there that we wouldn't be rushing for over 4 yards per carry? Possibly over 5 with those guys.

Interior of offensive line. It may not have been terrible, but can they count on Cann and Omameh?

Our oline was very good this season. Brilliantly coached by Pat Flat. Looked like a unit that had spent 5 years together.

With our style of play we ride and die by the oline. Cann (and to a much lesser degree Omameh) can and should be upgraded to maximise our offense. Also Linder is prone to missing several games a year.

After that TE.

(02-17-2018, 09:46 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Other than QB, I would rank them in this order......

1. OG
2. TE
3. CB
4. LB
5. WR
6. Swing Tackle
7. backup RB
8. backup FS

That's about as short of a list for any draft that we've had in a long time. The fact that I essentially used 3 backup positions is telling as well. We're sitting in pretty good shape.

Swing tackle? We already have one of the best with Jonathan Wells having developed.

I'd say, other than the starting QB position...

1. WR, but re-signing ARob solves this one
  2. LG if Omameh doesn't re-sign
  3. RG
  4. Nickelback assuming Colvin doesn't re-sign
  5. TE to develop and eventually take over for Marcedes (keep in mind we have a decent pass catcher with Mychal Rivera getting healthy)
  6. #4 RB assuming Ivory is waived
  7. backup QB to replace Henne and possibly develop as a future starter
  8. backup MLB to develop and eventually take over for Poz
  9. backup FS to challenge Thompson
  10. legit competition for our punter

'02