Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB Aside, Which Position Would You Want To See Strengthened This Offseason?

TE first. The more i thought about this while watching some scout videos for tight ends, the more i realized how much we can really benefit from a solid pass catching te. Adding a real weapon at this position, imo, will change this offense in a drastic way. Not only will i give BB another wep, if used correctly(emphasis on this), it will change the way D's will have to scheme against us. If we manage to resign AR15 and add a good TE, we should be able to punish teams for stacking he box against us. Then if they decide to play deep zone we with have fournette to gouge them up the middle. IMO, this will make the oline look better as well because they will not be facing 8-9 man boxes and constant blitz packages.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 10:26 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(02-17-2018, 01:06 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 07:41 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: The 24 sacks yielded last year are an all-time low for the Jaguars' franchise. What are you talking about? That number tied for third best pass protection in the entire NFL.

I believe we have a lousy quarterback way sooner than suggest our offensive line isn't just as improved as our defensive line.

To start, our run to pass ratio is disproportionately more than any team in the NFL by a wide margin.  When we have passed this year, we have run a ton of playaction and short underneath stuff with max protection.  Our sack numbers are very artificially deflated.

Our run blocking was bad.  Our top rushers rushed for less than 4 yards per carry and that's with Fournette popping off 90 yard runs.  All the blame doesn't go squarely on the line here as we ran into loaded boxes a ton, but it was clear as day that they got little push.  The big runs were usually setup by big blocks from Cann, but he was far too inconsistent.  Do you think that if we had Manuwai and Naoele in there that we wouldn't be rushing for over 4 yards per carry?  Possibly over 5 with those guys.

According to numerous scouting reports, the opponents favor laying off Bortles. A few teams want to sack him, but most know if you lay back you give Bortles time to beat himself.

Yeah... He beat himself all the way to the AFCC game.
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

(02-17-2018, 11:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 09:46 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Other than QB, I would rank them in this order......

1. OG
2. TE
3. CB
4. LB
5. WR
6. Swing Tackle
7. backup RB
8. backup FS

That's about as short of a list for any draft that we've had in a long time. The fact that I essentially used 3 backup positions is telling as well. We're sitting in pretty good shape.

Swing tackle? We already have one of the best with Jonathan Wells having developed.

The drop-off from Robinson to Josh Wells is very severe in my opinion.  The first game or two he worked were fine for the most part, but he was exposed in the Arizona and latter tacks games. 

I like the idea of drafting an eventual replacement for Parnell that can back up both spots until it's time to take over at RT.  Will Richardson from NC State may fall to mid rounds due to some off-field stuff. Could be the kind of player the Jags could utilize in the way I've described.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/9...1877452800

Some scouts see him as a guard in the NFL, so Flaherty will have some options if he becomes a Jag.

(02-18-2018, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Swing tackle? We already have one of the best with Jonathan Wells having developed.

The drop-off from Robinson to Josh Wells is very severe in my opinion.  The first game or two he worked were fine for the most part, but he was exposed in the Arizona and latter tacks games. 

I like the idea of drafting an eventual replacement for Parnell that can back up both spots until it's time to take over at RT.  Will Richardson from NC State may fall to mid rounds due to some off-field stuff. Could be the kind of player the Jags could utilize in the way I've described.

Some scouts see him as a guard in the NFL, so Flaherty will have some options if he becomes a Jag.

It sez he is the best pass-blocking tackle. I think most fans are up in arms about the lack of run-blocking talent. 

If the NFL scouting grades can be reliable, on the subject of offensive line, the ONLY lineman that stands out grade-wise, is ND OG Quentin Nelson. The rest seem to be clumped together in the 6.1 - 5.8 range.

In this cluster are all three of the top tackle prospects, Orlando Brown of Oklahoma, Conner Williams of Texas, and Mike Mcglinchey of Notre Dame. 

At 5.8 sits Ohio State OT Jamarco Jones. In the computer draft stuff I've been picking him in the third round pretty regularly. NFL.com sez he has "holes like they all do..." You might want to take a look at him.

Any offensive lineman with a 'should be a pro early' grade taken prior to round four should be a good lineman. There doesn't seem to be ANY elite caliber O-linemen this year.

(02-18-2018, 11:46 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The drop-off from Robinson to Josh Wells is very severe in my opinion.  The first game or two he worked were fine for the most part, but he was exposed in the Arizona and latter tacks games. 

It sez he is the best pass-blocking tackle.
LOL
One tweet doesn't tell you the entire scouting report on the guy.  His team rushed for over 2000 yards last season. 
A quick perusal of videos of NC States running game reveals lots of quality run blocking by #54. 
I'd bet his cut-ups will show the same when they emerge.

He's merely one example of a mid round tackle that could upgrade the back-up/swing tackle role and potentially take over at RT in 2019/2020.

Obviously there are others.

Interesting, but the mid-round rookie won't be beating out Josh Wells all that easily. Quite frankly I felt like Wells did an admirable job every time he had to come in for Cam. There's always going to be a drop-off, but he did so much better than the Josh Wells from years ago.  Will Richardson might be a guy who can develop into an eventual RT, but don't expect him to swing. He's never even taken a snap at LT.
'02

(02-18-2018, 12:31 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 10:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The drop-off from Robinson to Josh Wells is very severe in my opinion.  The first game or two he worked were fine for the most part, but he was exposed in the Arizona and latter tacks games. 

Interesting, but the mid-round rookie won't be beating out Josh Wells all that easily. Quite frankly I felt like Wells did an admirable job every time he had to come in for Cam. There's always going to be a drop-off, but he did so much better than the Josh Wells from years ago.  Will Richardson might be a guy who can develop into an eventual RT, but don't expect him to swing. He's never even taken a snap at LT.

I've seen two scouting reports on him that - one of which said he was originally recruited to play LT at NC State - and another that projected him to teams in the NFL looking to develop a LT behind aging starters. 

I'm sure more info on him will come out as the draft approaches.  And again... he's just one example of a potential upgrade. 

I'm unsure what you see in Wells.  I pulled up the ariz. game - and I didn't have to look very hard for an example. These two plays happened back to back in the first series.  (he's at RT)

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 01:09 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I agree. I believe Wells could and should be replaced with an upgrade. I love Richardson as a pure RT, but he's never played on the left side, so I wouldn't consider him as a swing Tackle. two guys who could fit the bill is Nick Gates of Nebraska. He is projected as an OG in the NFL, but he played both RT and LT in college. I also like David Bright of Stanford. He's played every position on the O-Line, except Center.

(02-18-2018, 12:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I agree. I believe Wells could and should be replaced with an upgrade. I love Richardson as a pure RT, but he's never played on the left side, so I wouldn't consider him as a swing Tackle. two guys who could fit the bill is Nick Gates of Nebraska. He is projected as an OG in the NFL, but he played both RT and LT in college. I also like David Bright of Stanford. He's played every position on the O-Line, except Center.
Bright is another guy on that list for sure. There are lots of angles they could take to bolster this O-Line and upgrade the run blocking. It will interesting to see what they do in the draft in that regard.

For me it would ideally involve a guard before the fourth round and a tackle in the 4th or 5th (though I'd not complain if they took one sooner.)

On the Wells plays....

They were ugly, but in his defense...

In the first frame you see the guy get past Omameh who in turn keeps Blake from stepping up. If Blake were able to step up, Wells' DE doesn't get near him.

In the second frame I believe that's Chandler Jones, and every OT gets a free pass at least for one play vs Chandler Jones. The guy is as good a pass rusher as they get. 
'02

(02-18-2018, 01:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 12:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree. I believe Wells could and should be replaced with an upgrade. I love Richardson as a pure RT, but he's never played on the left side, so I wouldn't consider him as a swing Tackle. two guys who could fit the bill is Nick Gates of Nebraska. He is projected as an OG in the NFL, but he played both RT and LT in college. I also like David Bright of Stanford. He's played every position on the O-Line, except Center.
Bright is another guy on that list for sure.  There are lots of angles they could take to bolster this O-Line and upgrade the run blocking.  It will interesting to see  what they do in the draft in that regard.

For me it would ideally involve a guard before the fourth round and a tackle in the 4th or 5th (though I'd not complain if they took one sooner.)

I believe the have to address OG in the first 3 rounds as well. As for the swing OT, as long as they address it somewhere in the draft, even the 7th round, I'll be happy. Gates and bright are two guys that I really don't expect to go much higher than round 6. I'm probably wrong, but those are my expectations.

(02-18-2018, 04:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 01:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bright is another guy on that list for sure.  There are lots of angles they could take to bolster this O-Line and upgrade the run blocking.  It will interesting to see  what they do in the draft in that regard.

I believe the have to address OG in the first 3 rounds as well. As for the swing OT, as long as they address it somewhere in the draft, even the 7th round, I'll be happy. Gates and bright are two guys that I really don't expect to go much higher than round 6. I'm probably wrong, but those are my expectations.

A 6th or 7th round OT won't stand a chance of beating out Wells for the swing tackle role.
'02

Like so many others have said in here..

TE and both Guard spots are the most glaring.

(02-18-2018, 09:09 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 04:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I believe the have to address OG in the first 3 rounds as well. As for the swing OT, as long as they address it somewhere in the draft, even the 7th round, I'll be happy. Gates and bright are two guys that I really don't expect to go much higher than round 6. I'm probably wrong, but those are my expectations.

A 6th or 7th round OT won't stand a chance of beating out Wells for the swing tackle role.

Wells is just a guy.

(02-17-2018, 11:48 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: LG RG RT TE all need to be upgraded

Good list. One guard, one tackle, one tight end, and another pass rusher to groom as leverage for losing Fowler in a year.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(02-18-2018, 09:09 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 04:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I believe the have to address OG in the first 3 rounds as well. As for the swing OT, as long as they address it somewhere in the draft, even the 7th round, I'll be happy. Gates and bright are two guys that I really don't expect to go much higher than round 6. I'm probably wrong, but those are my expectations.

I don't think it would take much.

Other than QB...

No particular order:
- Guard
- TE (even with Rivera)
- OT
- Backup RB
- Nickel corner and Punter...maybe

Not listing WR since I believe ARob will get tagged
Poz just might be back for a year so not listing LB...yet

(02-18-2018, 02:48 PM)Jags02 Wrote: On the Wells plays....

They were ugly, but in his defense...

In the first frame you see the guy get past Omameh who in turn keeps Blake from stepping up. If Blake were able to step up, Wells' DE doesn't get near him.

In the second frame I believe that's Chandler Jones, and every OT gets a free pass at least for one play vs Chandler Jones. The guy is as good a pass rusher as they get. 

The first play was a screen. Omameh was suposed to let his man go by him by design. The fact that he was knocked off his feet in additional was outstanding play by Omameh. Wells, however, was not supposed to give up backside pressure, which disrupted the entire play.

Wells is a journeyman swing tackle, not a player that should see more than one contract.

Some of you are failing to understand just how difficult it is to play OT in this league. No sixth round OT is going to come in and knock Wells off this roster.
'02