Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Online Live TV service?

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM by imtheblkranger.)

Anyone using anything like Hulu Live or PS Vue?

When I move in March, we are getting internet for free. So I really don't want to pay $100 for cable like I do now. Any of the options would save me $50-70 a month. I'm leaning toward Hulu Live since I use Hulu a lot in general, my only concern is I want AMC for Walking Dead.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I use SlingTV and I love it. I stopped using cable 3 or 4 years ago and found SlingTV maybe a year later. I love SlingTV. The price is reasonable and they now offer a cloud DVR service for around $5 more a month.

(02-17-2018, 04:34 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I use SlingTV and I love it.  I stopped using cable 3 or 4 years ago and found SlingTV maybe a year later.  I love SlingTV.  The price is reasonable and they now offer a cloud DVR service for around $5 more a month.

I used Sling for a couple months like 2 years ago and found it to be a little laggy and sub par video quality. Maybe those issues have been fixed since then?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Looking over Sling's lineup, and the only issue I have is the no NFL Network.

So it would cost me $20 for Sling with no NFLN or a $20 additional Hulu cost to get NFLN but no AMC....

But then again, I get NFLN free on my phone and they stream TNF on Amazon now. So I don't NEED NFLN I guess
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We take turns presenting sock puppet shows in an old hollowed out TV cabinet. It’s free and HD.

(02-17-2018, 03:24 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Anyone using anything like Hulu Live or PS Vue?

When I move in March, we are getting internet for free. So I really don't want to pay $100 for cable like I do now. Any of the options would save me $50-70 a month. I'm leaning toward Hulu Live since I use Hulu a lot in general, my only concern is I want AMC for Walking Dead.

Directv now is the best one out there. Disclaimer: I do work for att. But, if anyone wants to use dtv now or try it out, PM me and I can hook you up with a discount off of your first three months
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(02-17-2018, 08:20 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 03:24 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Anyone using anything like Hulu Live or PS Vue?

Directv now is the best one out there. Disclaimer: I do work for att. But, if anyone wants to use dtv now or try it out, PM me and I can hook you up with a discount off of your first three months

DirecTV is expensive especially when you live out in the sticks and they know they're the only option. I swear they jack up my prices. We have the 2nd closest one to basic and two receivers 150+ a month
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(02-17-2018, 08:43 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 08:20 PM)Achilles Wrote: Directv now is the best one out there. Disclaimer: I do work for att. But, if anyone wants to use dtv now or try it out, PM me and I can hook you up with a discount off of your first three months

DirecTV is expensive especially when you live out in the sticks and they know they're the only option. I swear they jack up my prices. We have the 2nd closest one to basic and two receivers 150+ a month

Well DirecTV Now and DirecTV are two different services .

I've heard good things about DTV Now as well. Achilles, do they offer any trial periods?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I use DirecTV Now currently and have used Sling before. I'm getting DirecTV Now for $10 a month via a bill credit though after switching to AT&T for wireless service a few months ago. No problems with the service and it's a much better experience than Sling was, though I haven't used Sling in a couple of years either so I'm sure they've improved since then.

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 02:57 AM by Scarecrow.)

(02-17-2018, 05:25 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 04:34 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I use SlingTV and I love it.  I stopped using cable 3 or 4 years ago and found SlingTV maybe a year later.  I love SlingTV.  The price is reasonable and they now offer a cloud DVR service for around $5 more a month.

I used Sling for a couple months like 2 years ago and found it to be a little laggy and sub par video quality. Maybe those issues have been fixed since then?

I can't recall any lagging or poor video quality since I've had it.

Maybe channels vary by area but I get NFL network.

(02-17-2018, 08:48 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 08:43 PM)EricC85 Wrote: DirecTV is expensive especially when you live out in the sticks and they know they're the only option. I swear they jack up my prices. We have the 2nd closest one to basic and two receivers 150+ a month

Well DirecTV Now and DirecTV are two different services .

I've heard good things about DTV Now as well. Achilles, do they offer any trial periods?

I used DTV Now for a month as a free trial and ended up cancelling but they did offer a free trial as of a month ago for me.

I use an Apple TV (3rd gen) and subscribe to Netflix, HBO Now, and NFL gamepass. Between those and the stuff I can find free via Kodi or the web - I have more entertainment than I have time to catch up on and it costs me about $460 annually before internet access fees. ($64 per month)

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 02:36 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(02-18-2018, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I use an Apple TV (3rd gen) and subscribe to Netflix, HBO Now, and NFL gamepass.  Between those and the stuff I can find free via Kodi or the web - I have more entertainment than I have time to catch up on and it costs me about $460 annually before internet access fees. ($64 per month)

See I have all of those as well. Really the only thing I watch live is sports or certain shows for part of the year. 

I'm not sure if it's just the thought of officially cutting that live cord or what.

I get Sunday Ticket online for cheap since my wife is in school, then between stuff like NBC Sports or ESPN app, I can watch most sports I want to live. I think the only live shows I watch are:

GOT (HBO Now/Go)
Walking Dead
Sports

Honestly I think that's it. Not sure the $30-40 streaming service is worth it for just Walking Dead and the occasional show.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-18-2018, 02:33 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(02-18-2018, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I use an Apple TV (3rd gen) and subscribe to Netflix, HBO Now, and NFL gamepass.  Between those and the stuff I can find free via Kodi or the web - I have more entertainment than I have time to catch up on and it costs me about $460 annually before internet access fees. ($64 per month)

See I have all of those as well. Really the only thing I watch live is sports or certain shows for part of the year. 

I'm not sure if it's just the thought of officially cutting that live cord or what.

I get Sunday Ticket online for cheap since my wife is in school, then between stuff like NBC Sports or ESPN app, I can watch most sports I want to live. I think the only live shows I watch are:

GOT (HBO Now/Go)
Walking Dead
Sports

Honestly I think that's it. Not sure the $30-40 streaming service is worth it for just Walking Dead and the occasional show.

Until I got the deal I'm currently on with DirecTV now, I was going without a cable streaming package and just using Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video and HBO Now sporadically combined with my Tablo for local channels and was just fine with it.  Also, the basic channel package I had with Comcast gave me access to the AMC app for Walking Dead and a couple of other channels' apps.  

You have to play the game with Comcast if you're not already.  They will call you when you just have internet and offer you some no brainer deals (or put a flyer on your door with their most recent deal).  Although I'm getting my cable thru DirecTV Now at the moment, Comcast gave me HBO free for a year for just commiting to a 1 year contract for internet, their most basic channel package and HBO for no more than I was previously paying and I think it actually went down a few bucks.  I see the numbers being reported of people cutting the cord, but this giving away HBO for a 1 year commitment really shows how they're scrambling to keep subscribers.  When this deal expires later in the year, I'll call and cancel everything but internet so my bill doesn't jump back up because I forgot about it like they want you to do.  Then they'll probably call me again a month or so later and offer something similar.  This pattern has gone on for a few years for me with them.  I've had to buy a couple of months of HBO Now here and there as needed, but they've thrown free HBO at me for a few years now.  

Also, Prime Video has allowed me to not stay hooked up to Netflix continuously either.  I'll re-up Netflix every few months and binge thru the original content I've missed, but Prime Video has a lot of the movies and shows that I might be interested in along with their own original content and I'm not cancelling Prime since it's a yearly subscription with tons of other benefits.  Hulu is more for the wife.  I don't really watch it too much, but she won't let me cancel it because she watches a lot of stuff on there.

(02-17-2018, 06:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We take turns presenting sock puppet shows in an old hollowed out TV cabinet. It’s free and HD.

Lol.  I saw some cartoon where the main character hung a picture frame from his head so he could get "live reality TV" all day.  I think it was Family Guy.

I went cordless last year using Sling and Netflix.

Then Comcast gave me their HD package with internet for $5 more than just internet alone and T Mobile gave me Netflix for free, so I went back to the better quality cable service. 

I'll probably have to negotiate a low rate every year, but if it stays in the same ballpark then $100 more a year isn't a deal breaker.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-19-2018, 08:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I went cordless last year using Sling and Netflix.

Then Comcast gave me their HD package with internet for $5 more than just internet alone and T Mobile gave me Netflix for free, so I went back to the better quality cable service. 

I'll probably have to negotiate a low rate every year, but if it stays in the same ballpark then $100 more a year isn't a deal breaker.

I can't blame you there. That's a hell of a deal. 

My landlord is including internet in the rent, so it's hard to really try to negotiate a deal on cable. I think they're on Spectrum there.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 04:15 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Resurrecting this thread as I'm cutting the cable (Xfinity) in favor of  Youtube TV --- kids are in college so i don't need to retain 6 boxes (lol) --    I'll still retain their internet.

Any thoughts about youtube tv and/or an adequate modem to support 250mbps so i' don't have to rent from comcast

Modem (this one looks good @ $79) -> Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem  

[Image: 81ZaOdQaVmL._SY741_.jpg]

Check out the nighthawks by netgear. Those are pretty good. I have one and have gigabit internet. Pretty much I get speeds as fast as whatever device I’m using can handle. But that 250Mb sure isn’t anything to sneeze at either. Nighthawk will serv you well.

(02-17-2018, 06:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We take turns presenting sock puppet shows in an old hollowed out TV cabinet. It’s free and HD.

And 3D. So you're ahead of the game when that becomes popular again.

(01-08-2019, 05:08 PM)Jags Wrote: Check out the nighthawks by netgear.  Those are pretty good. I have one and have gigabit internet.   Pretty much I get speeds as fast as whatever device I’m using can handle.  But that 250Mb sure isn’t anything to sneeze at either.  Nighthawk will serv you well.

Thanks for the advice.  The more I started researching, most recommendations were coming up with the Netgear Nighthawk as well.  I definitely want to make certain I max out on my internet speed and don't sell myself should by getting router/modem that doesn't fully support streaming on multiple devices in a 2 story house.