Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Respect From Boston

The Herald, in particular.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patri...n_patriots

Quote:• Why they could go to the Super Bowl: The Jacksonville defense is young, fast and nasty. And even with the question marks surrounding the passing game, this is still a team that nearly picked off the Pats in Foxboro. The future clearly is bright in Jacksonville.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-19-2018, 04:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The Herald, in particular.

Quote:• Why they could go to the Super Bowl: The Jacksonville defense is young, fast and nasty. And even with the question marks surrounding the passing game, this is still a team that nearly picked off the Pats in Foxboro. The future clearly is bright in Jacksonville.

They named 5 teams, and 3 of them are from the AFC South.  I don't have any point to make there, just that it's kind of disconcerting.  If you believe the article, the Jags are a threat to the Pats, but so are the Texans and the Titans, which makes the Texans and the Titans a threat to the Jags.

Idk how anyone can say the tacks are a threat to NE after the fiasco that happened in Foxboro a month ago.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It's early but I'd say the biggest threat to the Jags in the division are the tinhorns when they get all of their injured players back. I know the tacks beat us twice but I just don't see them at the same level.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Could the Texans be old on defense with the injuries catching up? I think it is possible. Draft and free agency will be interesting.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-19-2018, 09:27 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Could the Texans be old on defense with the injuries catching up?  I think it is possible. Draft and free agency will be interesting.
I’d be more nervous about the Texans if they had the #4 pick.... but they don’t so that’s great!

Their secondary is not as good as it used to be. Linebackers (Cushing) are old too. Watt is a mystery but Mercilus and Clooney are legit. Their offense could be scary good if they all stay healthy.

This is a big offseason for the Jags. QB? OLine? TE? ARob? Lots of questions that need to be answered but luckily, our defense will stay mostly intact.

(02-19-2018, 06:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 04:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The Herald, in particular.

They named 5 teams, and 3 of them are from the AFC South.  I don't have any point to make there, just that it's kind of disconcerting.  If you believe the article, the Jags are a threat to the Pats, but so are the Texans and the Titans, which makes the Texans and the Titans a threat to the Jags.

I'm not so sure how much of a threat the Texans are.

With a healthy Watson performing up to the level he did last year, they are dangerous in any given game.

But a look at the rest of the team shows they aren't too far past the Colts.

Their offensive line is a sieve, especially at LT after they traded Duane Brown.

As the article points out, their secondary is old, and will need revamping.  If Watt returns and is the J.J. Watt of old, Clowney can find consistency, and Mercilus can return, then their front 7 can cover for the poor secondary.  If, however, Watt is merely average upon his return, their defense becomes easier to block.

The things is, due to the trades of Osweiler and the trade up for Watson, the Texans have no picks in the first two rounds to restock their OL or their secondary.

Basically, they are the Colts with a pass rush.

That said, while the respect from Boston is nice, "the princess is in another castle."

Namely the one in Atlanta.

(02-19-2018, 09:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 09:27 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Could the Texans be old on defense with the injuries catching up?  I think it is possible. Draft and free agency will be interesting.
I’d be more nervous about the Texans if they had the #4 pick.... but they don’t so that’s great!

Their secondary is not as good as it used to be. Linebackers (Cushing) are old too. Watt is a mystery but Mercilus and Clooney are legit. Their offense could be scary good if they all stay healthy.

This is a big offseason for the Jags. QB? OLine? TE? ARob? Lots of questions that need to be answered but luckily, our defense will stay mostly intact.

I think with Clowney and Mercilus as viable rushers and Watt not being himself, the Texans defense is good but blockable and beatable with that porous secondary.

If Watt is what he was, and the Texans somehow fix their OL, then they are a legit threat to everyone in the AFC, even with the bad secondary.

(02-19-2018, 07:35 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Idk how anyone can say the tacks are a threat to NE after the fiasco that happened in Foxboro a month ago.

Oh come on, everyone knows its because Mariota wasn't 100%. When he is 100%, he is the greatest QB the galaxy has ever seen. He just needs to get to 100%.

(02-19-2018, 10:56 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 07:35 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Idk how anyone can say the tacks are a threat to NE after the fiasco that happened in Foxboro a month ago.

Oh come on, everyone knows its because Mariota wasn't 100%. When he is 100%, he is the greatest QB the galaxy has ever seen. He just needs to get to 100%.

That's right...   He was injured but he doesn't use injuries as an excuse.  He doesn't have an injury history either.

Blake may not be the end all be all... but the guy is a tank.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

You guys can trash Mariota all you want, but he has killed us twice with a huge run late, he has QBed the tacks to two winning seasons and a playoff berth.

(02-19-2018, 01:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You guys can trash Mariota all you want, but he has killed us twice with a huge run late, he has QBed the tacks to two winning seasons and a playoff berth.

Mariota has been unbelievably unimpressive against us. He actually has some decent weapons too.

(02-19-2018, 01:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You guys can trash Mariota all you want, but he has killed us twice with a huge run late, he has QBed the tacks to two winning seasons and a playoff berth.

He's been subpar to average so far, despite them building their whole offense around him.  They've given him top 10 picks at both OT's and WR and he's regressed.

You take away that run game, which has been done throughout the year, and he's below average.  

You make an argument here similar to the one for Vince Young, without the durability

Honestly, depending on how FA and Draft play out as well as how injuries occur, any team could win the division next year. (Even the Colts if Luck comes back healthy and Reich give him an Eagles-like offense.)

It's just too early to tell. At this point, just have to hope the Jags continue to try to improve and not just "stay pat". If there was a year for Caldwell/Coughlin to overpay and trade up for a guy or two they love in the draft, this is probably the year to do it. Not sure

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 06:28 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

I had a problem with the first sentence of that article. I know the Patriots beat both the Jags and Steelers, but I consider both of those teams better than the Patriots. The best team doesn't always win. And how exactly are they overlooking the Chargers? That team was playing damn good football at the end of the season. Hell, they had a great season considering it was a relocation year. That may explain their (0-4) start, one in which they didn't lose those games by too many points. I think we lucked out with our first place finish in playing the Chiefs. The tacks have to play the Chargers. And to think, one 4th and 13 Bengals play changed everything. Would we have made it past the Chargers. I'd argue they were the best team in the AFC at the end of the season. They had an offense to go along with a great defense.

My ranking of AFC teams at the end of this last season is as follows.

1. Chargers
2. Jaguars
3. Steelers
4. Patriots

(02-19-2018, 06:27 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I had a problem with the first sentence of that article. I know the Patriots beat both the Jags and Steelers, but I consider both of those teams better than the Patriots. The best team doesn't always win. And how exactly are they overlooking the Chargers? That team was playing damn good football at the end of the season. Hell, they had a great season considering it was a relocation year. That may explain their (0-4) start, one in which they didn't lose those games by too many points. I think we lucked out with our first place finish in playing the Chiefs. The tacks have to play the Chargers. And to think, one 4th and 13 Bengals play changed everything. Would we have made it past the Chargers. I'd argue they were the best team in the AFC at the end of the season. They had an offense to go along with a great defense.

My ranking of AFC teams at the end of this last season is as follows.

1. Chargers
2. Jaguars
3. Steelers
4. Patriots

The Chiefs exposed the Chargers offense though at the end of season. It is all crossing routes. If you play to cover the crossers, and actually cover the RB's. The passing game falls apart and Rivers will take too many risks. You would have to expect to Jags to have realize that after playing them, seeing the back up RB tear them up in the 1st game, and watching tape of that game.

Biggest thing next year for DC Walsh is he has to adjust out of the standard cover 3 more often, and just go man. It was a huge flaw under Gus, and persisted at times last season.

Each year a new team emerges from camp. Who knows what anyone will look like until the preseason/regular season. Jaguars can regress or improve. Same for any other team.

Oh boy. Looks like Mariota has become the new Vince Young. “He just wins!”

So much for the guys saying Watson can't throw the football fast. Watson is a stud. He was on a blistering pace. I see him as guy who can give the Texans a chance to win every game.

Mariotta might be trash to some people, but he has hurt us too many times.

If Indy gets Luck back, then everything changes. The AFC South will be a tough division. I can't wait to see what we do at QB. Bortles did enough to stay, but the moment he goes back to his old ways, he's done.

(02-22-2018, 07:39 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: So much for the guys saying Watson can't throw the football fast. Watson is a stud. He was on a blistering pace. I see him as guy who can give the Texans a chance to win  every game.

Mariotta might be trash to some people, but he has hurt us too many times.

If Indy gets Luck back, then everything changes. The AFC South will be a tough division. I can't wait to see what we do at QB. Bortles did enough to stay, but the moment he goes back to his old ways, he's done.

Why do we have to do anything with the QB position? Blake Bortles did get us to the AFC Championship game but we became so spoiled right now as if we had this winning tradition for years.
[Image: giphy.gif]