Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Getting a top four QB

It looks to me like the four top QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen) are going top 10, and I can't see the Jaguars trading up quite that far to get one. That said, what are the chances one of them slips just enough for the Jaguars to make a move? How far would they have to fall for a move to make sense, and who do you think might fall? 
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-19-2018, 06:24 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It looks to me like the four top QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen) are going top 10, and I can't see the Jaguars trading up quite that far to get one. That said, what are the chances one of them slips just enough for the Jaguars to make a move? How far would they have to fall for a move to make sense, and who do you think might fall? 

I don't think the front office will feel desperate to get a QB, so therefore I think one would have to fall very close to our pick at #29.  Just a few spots, like if one fell to #25 or so.  Because I don't think we will give up a lot of draft capital to get a QB.

Realistically, if one fell to the #10, #11 or #12 area we could trade up for future picks, but the one most likely to fall would probably be Allen and I want no part of him. If Mayfield or Rosen was the one falling that far, I'd make a move to trade up, but that is probably not happening.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 10:05 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-19-2018, 09:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Realistically, if one fell to the #10, #11 or #12 area we could trade up for future picks, but the one most likely to fall would probably be Allen and I want no part of him. If Mayfield  or Rosen was the one falling that far, I'd make a move to trade up, but that is probably not happening.

I agree with this.  I think perhaps if a guy dropped as low as 9, a trade up is theoretically possible.

I say 9 because no matter who wins the coin toss between the Raiders and 9ers, both are set at QB for the time being.

The next level would be picks 13-20, Washington, Green Bay, Arizona, Baltimore, Chargers, Seattle, Dallas, and Detroit.

Of that group, only Arizona has a huge need at QB.  The Skins look to be set with Alex Smith, of course the Packers are fine as long as Rodgers is healthy, and the Ravens have a still viable Flacco.  The Chargers might be in the market for a young signal caller, but Rivers can still sling it at a high level.  Seattle is set with Wilson, Dallas has a young Dak Prescott, and Detroit still has Matthew Stafford.

I think if a guy somehow drops past Arizona (who I think will try to trade up over Miami...perhaps as high as 7 to Tampa), our only major competition for that guy would be Buffalo, who has a ton of ammunition to maneuver in the draft due to all of those trades last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I don't see any of those 4 dropping out of the top 10. Even if they did, they won't make it past 15 and the Jags will not, and should not, be willing to trade away valuable future picks for someone who is not even close to a guaranteed franchise quarterback. Of those 4, I like Darnold the most, but no way I'd give up our 1st and 2nd this year and our 1st next year- which is about what it would take.

Who knows, they may like Rudolph or Jackson just as much and won't have to give up anything to get them.

(02-19-2018, 09:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Realistically, if one fell to the #10, #11 or #12 area we could trade up for future picks, but the one most likely to fall would probably be Allen and I want no part of him. If Mayfield  or Rosen was the one falling that far, I'd make a move to trade up, but that is probably not happening.

You're probably right, so I went with Allen falling and created an updated mock... in this mock, the Bills trade up to the #4 pick to get Mayfield but Allen drops as the Broncos and Jets both make a hard pass. The Jaguars use their 2nd round pick to trade up to #17 for Allen...

1. Browns – QB Sam Darnold
  2. Giants – QB Josh Rosen
  3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
  4. Bills (through Browns through Texans) - QB Baker Mayfield
  5. Broncos – DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
  6. Jets – RB Saquon Barkley
  7. Bucs – OT Orlando Brown
  8. Bears – CB Denzel Ward
  9. 49ers – LB Tremaine Edmunds
  10. Raiders – LB Roquan Smith
  11. Dolphins – G Quenton Nelson
  12. Bengals – OT Mike McGlinchey
  13. Redskins – DE Marcus Davenport
  14. Packers – CB Mike Hughes
  15. Cards – WR Calvin Ridley
  16. Ravens – OT Conner Williams
  17. Jaguars (through Chargers) - QB Josh Allen
  18. Seahawks – S Derwin James
  19. Cowboys – DT Vita Vea
  20. Lions – DT Maurice Hurst
  21. Browns (through Bills) – DT Da’Ron Payne
  22. Browns (through Bills through Chiefs) – WR Courtland Sutton
  23. Rams – CB Josh Jackson
  24. Panthers – G Isaiah Wynn
  25. Titans –C Billy Price
  26. Falcons – DT Harrison Phillips
  27. Saints – TE Dallas Goedert
  28. Steelers – CB Isaiah Oliver
  29. Chargers (through Jaguars)- WR Christian Kirk
  30. Vikings- QB Lamar Jackson
  31. Patriots - DE Harold Landry
  32. Eagles - LB Rashaan Evans
Why not Allen?
'02

It would be nice to break our streak of top 10 picks...

(02-19-2018, 11:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote:

You're probably right, so I went with Allen falling and created an updated mock... in this mock, the Bills trade up to the #4 pick to get Mayfield but Allen drops as the Broncos and Jets both make a hard pass. The Jaguars use their 2nd round pick to trade up to #17 for Allen...

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
  25. Titans – DE Harold Landry
Why not Allen?

In this scenario, I couldn't see Allen getting past Miami or Arizona.

For that matter, with the move to Los Angeles and Rivers in his thirties, it would not surprise me one bit to see the Chargers take a signal caller at 17.

Not too sure I would see the Browns trading down again from 4.  They already have a ton of picks and have had tons of picks for years.  They need impact.

I think for the last of the top 4 QBs, Tampa will be the key trading spot.

I'm loving what I'm reading about Allen. His issues related to the lower completion percentage appear fixable. 
'02

Doesn't Allen suck?

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 12:09 PM by JagsorDie.)

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
Why not Allen?

that would be great. That would require the bills to be very high on mayfeild and i think we would be missing out on an early round te because we would give up our second round.

The only other problem i have with this is the fact that we trade up to get him. Trading up and sacrificing another early pick really sends a message that this team is not happy with bortles and i think alot of people would share that sentiment. But if that is the case why would they not have addressed this in any way up until this point? You could have gotten more with a first and second pick than Allen IMO. I think you could probably get the super bowl champion and MVP qb for that price.

But over all i would love to have allen if falls to us. I still want Goedert and i think that Hayden will get picked up before him and he will fall to us.

(02-19-2018, 12:08 PM)JNev Wrote: Doesn't Allen suck?

NO

(02-19-2018, 11:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 11:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote: You're probably right, so I went with Allen falling and created an updated mock... in this mock, the Bills trade up to the #4 pick to get Mayfield but Allen drops as the Broncos and Jets both make a hard pass. The Jaguars use their 2nd round pick to trade up to #17 for Allen...

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
  25. Titans – DE Harold Landry
Why not Allen?

In this scenario, I couldn't see Allen getting past Miami or Arizona.

For that matter, with the move to Los Angeles and Rivers in his thirties, it would not surprise me one bit to see the Chargers take a signal caller at 17.

Not too sure I would see the Browns trading down again from 4.  They already have a ton of picks and have had tons of picks for years.  They need impact.

The Bucs? The next few teams after them are set at QB at least for this year. Maybe they can pray the Dolphins pass on Allen, and then make a move to get the #14 spot ahead of the Cards.
'02

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM by The Real Marty.)

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
Why not Allen?

So we give up our first and probably second round picks draft a backup QB?   No way I would do that.   I'd rather try to win now with Blake and some improvements at TE and OL than to mortgage our future for a backup QB.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM by JagsorDie.)

(02-19-2018, 12:17 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 11:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In this scenario, I couldn't see Allen getting past Miami or Arizona.

The Bucs? The next few teams after them are set at QB at least for this year. Maybe they can pray the Dolphins pass on Allen, and then make a move to get the #14 spot ahead of the Cards.

If you are going to make the move i think Bullseye is right on this one. Even though the teams after them are set at QB, 8-12 will be the spots where the QB needy teams will be trading up if Baker goes ahead of Allen. To me if you are going to sacrifice some early picks, you may as well move up into the top ten. I think we maybe able to do it for next years picks as well rather than throw in our second round.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-19-2018, 12:17 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 11:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote: In this scenario, I couldn't see Allen getting past Miami or Arizona.

I say the Bucs because they are the highest of that group of teams that are set at QB this year and just below that group in the top 10 that desperately need QB.  I think a team like Arizona wanting a QB would at least have to get above Miami, who themselves may trade up to get a signal caller.  I think them and Buffalo compete for a spot in the top ten to get their QB.

That said, Cousins potentially alters all of this.

If he ends up in Denver or New York, then whichever of these two teams lands him will be major candidates to trade down...Denver because of age and cap issues, and the Jets because they began their purge last year.

(02-19-2018, 12:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 11:39 AM)Jags02 Wrote: You're probably right, so I went with Allen falling and created an updated mock... in this mock, the Bills trade up to the #4 pick to get Mayfield but Allen drops as the Broncos and Jets both make a hard pass. The Jaguars use their 2nd round pick to trade up to #17 for Allen...

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
Why not Allen?

So we give up our first and probably second round picks draft a backup QB?   No way I would do that.   I'd rather try to win now with Blake and some improvements at TE and OL than to mortgage our future for a backup QB.

I agree with this as a general rule.

But if the team has a strong conviction in favor of one of the QBs on the board, take him.

I remember the 1983 draft.  The Dolphins were fresh off of a Super Bowl appearance, a 27-17 loss to the Skins. 

They were at the bottom of the first round, and Marino was sitting there on the board.  Instead of going for what they thought was an immediate need they took the signal caller.

Given this team's current circumstances, would I trade up for a signal caller?  Probably not.

Would I be more inclined to stay at 29 and take a G or TE, or maybe even WR?  Sure.

Would that change if I knew the team loved a QB who was on the board?  Yes.

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
Why not Allen?

Why not Allen? Because he's no different than what we have now. He's erratic as all get out. He'll throw a couple passes where he looks like a champ and string together 2 or 3 where he couldn't hit the side of a barn. If we're not going to attempt to upgrade from what we have, why draft a QB at all?

(02-19-2018, 06:24 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It looks to me like the four top QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen) are going top 10, and I can't see the Jaguars trading up quite that far to get one. That said, what are the chances one of them slips just enough for the Jaguars to make a move? How far would they have to fall for a move to make sense, and who do you think might fall? 

There's a lot of things that need to happen before we can clearly project any of these QBs are going to drop in the draft order.

I've run about 500 computer simulations and Rosen and Allen are the most likely to fall out of the top ten.

Before the Senior Bowl, I was drafting Josh Allen regularly with the 29th pick. Now it is not so.

The point is after the NFL Scouting Combine we should have a better sense of what is what.

The impact that the Senior Bowl had on the sim runs I was doing convinced me that we really really need to snag A. J. McCarron.

I really hope that Tom Coughlin will decline the option on Bortles based upon past performance and not temporary wrist injury, which was so slight it did not prevent Bortles from playing at any time during the 2017 season.

(02-19-2018, 12:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

3. Colts – DE Brad Chubb
Why not Allen?

Backup QB? Josh Allen is a starting QB... in not this season then for sure next season.

(02-19-2018, 05:35 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: The impact that the Senior Bowl had on the sim runs I was doing convinced me that we really really need to snag A. J. McCarron.

I really don't get the lure of AJ McCarron considering Blake Bortles is flat out a better QB.

'02

Honestly, FA is going to change a lot with these QBs. They’re gonna drop.