Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Social Media Companies as Guilty as Russia

Why aren't the social media companies getting more attention for meddling in the 2016 election? All of the social media platforms I am on were clearly left bias the entire election cycle.

1. Twitter would create fake high trends for topics favoring the left.
2. Google would filter search results. For instance, the day Hillary ate the asphalt outside the van, if you typed "Hillary Clinton F" into Google, the suggested search was "Hillary Clinton foreign policy".

Is it OK for these companies to meddle in the election since they aren't foreign entities? IMO, they are more guilty than the Russians, but like the Russians, it didn't work.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There's no law against it when you're lefty.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

So then do we go after “news” outlets for this so called meddling? Should candidates be allowed to blast an opponent through smear commercials, well, since that would be considered meddling because those commercials normally only play in the opponents area for persuasion purposes. It’s all just a waste of energy. This type of convincing one party is more suitable than the other has been going since politics started. I suppose it only gets attention now due to the extreme dumbing down of the U.S. population!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(02-19-2018, 10:34 AM)B2hibry Wrote: So then do we go after “news” outlets for this so called meddling? Should candidates be allowed to blast an opponent through smear commercials, well, since that would be considered meddling because those commercials normally only play in the opponents area for persuasion purposes. It’s all just a waste of energy. This type of convincing one party is more suitable than the other has been going since politics started. I suppose it only gets attention now due to the extreme dumbing down of the U.S. population!

IMO, Candidates are free to use the platforms as they want. The problem I have is when the platform owners themselves factor political bias into search algorithms. It is no better and probably worse than anything the Russians did.

I'd be game if we could get rid of social media all together. It is rotting the brains of the world.

(02-19-2018, 09:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why aren't the social media companies getting more attention for meddling in the 2016 election? All of the social media platforms I am on were clearly left bias the entire election cycle.

2. Google would filter search results. For instance, the day Hillary ate the asphalt outside the van, if you typed "Hillary Clinton F" into Google, the suggested search was "Hillary Clinton foreign policy".

Is it OK for these companies to meddle in the election since they aren't foreign entities? IMO, they are more guilty than the Russians, but like the Russians, it didn't work.

Does the Drifter know you've taken his job as a Fox surrogate? 

Did you under bid him?

lol ... it's not Donald's collusion with Russia - it was those mean social media sites!

Working hard for your money.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(02-19-2018, 09:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why aren't the social media companies getting more attention for meddling in the 2016 election? All of the social media platforms I am on were clearly left bias the entire election cycle.

In regards to the Russians, this is indeterminable.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(02-19-2018, 11:07 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:

Did you under bid him?

lol ... it's not Donald's collusion with Russia - it was those mean social media sites!

Mean?

Ha.

They're not mean - they just have zero experience of the real world. Just the world of mommy and daddys basement and money.

(02-19-2018, 11:07 AM)dCrowd1 Wrote: Why aren't the social media companies getting more attention for meddling in the 2016 election? All of the social media platforms I am on were clearly left bias the entire election cycle.
(02-19-2018, 09:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 1. Twitter would create fake high trends for topics favoring the left.

Did you under bid him?

When you wake up and your morning routine includes quaffing a big glass of Orange Kool-Aid served from Pravda...err...FOX News, you don't notice little things like Senate Hearings and Google conspiracy theories being shown to be bogus.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(02-19-2018, 11:07 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:

Did you under bid him?

(02-19-2018, 11:33 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 11:07 AM)dCrowd1 Wrote: Why aren't the social media companies getting more attention for meddling in the 2016 election? All of the social media platforms I am on were clearly left bias the entire election cycle.

Did you under bid him?

When you wake up and your morning routine includes quaffing a big glass of Orange Kool-Aid served from Pravda...err...FOX News, you don't notice little things like Senate Hearings and Google conspiracy theories being shown to be bogus.

I don't need FOX News to tell me about social media bias during the election. I saw it for myself. 

Again, it obviously didn't work.

Now, lets use today celebrate the 44 presidents we have had.

(02-19-2018, 11:20 AM)rollerjag Wrote:

In regards to the Russians, this is indeterminable.

So you're saying that some person decided to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because of a a Russian Propaganda post on Facebook (not significantly different from the millions of hyper-partisan posts by US users). Really, that's your position?

There's this bridge in New York. I can get you a good price for it.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

All I know is I typed in something critical of the liberal left and Facebook refused to post it citing their decency policies
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

If they’re a foreign based entity like these Russian trolls were, it’s illegal.  Otherwise it’s not. 

I agree that social media platforms played around with their algorithms to favor one candidate over another.  They also cater their rules toward political bias.  I know quite a few right wingers who have been banned for speaking their truth on platforms like Facebook while lefties can say the exact same things without fear of reprisal.

What’s really interesting is that the Obama administration did very much the same thing in 2015 with the PM elections in Israel. Obama sent his team over there to campaign against Netanyahu, using state department funds to create a counter to his campaign. It’s equally illegal to do this, but nobody has ever said a word about it.

The US is more actively involved in influencing elections around the globe than these Russians could ever dream of, but since it's the United States, I guess it was okay. Look at the vote on BREXIT. Obama went over there and basically campaigned for the UK to stay in, trying to influence the outcome.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(02-19-2018, 07:00 PM)FBT Wrote:

If they’re a foreign based entity like these Russian trolls were, it’s illegal.  Otherwise it’s not. 

I agree that social media platforms played around with their algorithms to favor one candidate over another.  They also cater their rules toward political bias.  I know quite a few right wingers who have been banned for speaking their truth on platforms like Facebook while lefties can say the exact same things without fear of reprisal.

What’s really interesting is that the Obama administration did very much the same thing in 2015 with the PM elections in Israel.  Obama sent his team over there to campaign against Netanyahu, using state department funds to create a counter to his campaign.  It’s equally illegal to do this, but nobody has ever said a word about it.  

The US is more actively involved in influencing elections around the globe than these Russians could ever dream of, but since it's the United States, I guess it was okay.  Look at the vote on BREXIT.  Obama went over there and basically campaigned for the UK to stay in, trying to influence the outcome.

Went so far as to tell the UK that they would "go to the back of the queue" in trade if they went ahead with Brexit and that Germany was the US' closest international ally. Ha. That guy sucked.

Pretty funny how dismayed America is at the notion of another country attempting to interfere in their democratic process.

(02-22-2018, 11:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty funny how dismayed America is at the notion of another country attempting to interfere in their democratic process.

Exactly!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I wonder how many Russian bots are on here creating extreme right wing posts?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(02-22-2018, 11:14 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I wonder how many Russian bots are on here creating extreme right wing posts?

Laughing
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Man, some of these comments need to go in the heroin thread...as in don’t indulge and post after.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(02-22-2018, 11:14 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
I wonder how many Russian bots are on here creating extreme right wing posts?

Probably almost as many as those creatting far left wing posts.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I love the tweet I just saw ... about how it's going to be very emotional when the Russian hockey team visits the White House.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.