Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Top GOP Donor Shuts Donations - Calls for Ban on Assault Weapons

(02-21-2018, 09:37 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:09 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That didn’t stop you from leveraging their deaths to advance your cause.

How is the truth leverage?  17 people died less than a week ago and people want to act like it didn't happen already so that they can continue the pro gun argument.

Then there are geniuses in here parroting other things they've read about deaths from heart disease or drunk driving and act like its the same thing as a kid walking through hallways shooting people at will.

I don't think anyone on this board is acting like it didn't happen. I for one, am on the side that says we need some common sense gun laws that really address how easily the mentally ill are getting a hold of firearms. Banning so-called "assault weapons" is totally unrealistic though, when you figure how many are already out on the street. That ship has sailed. The kid who committed this particular atrocity had tons of red flags on him for years and he was still able to walk into a school and murder people. The real issue is, that he shouldn't have had any access to any weapons with his past of violence and threats. Something needs to be done about keeping any guns away from people like this, instead of limiting the rights of all gun owners.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-21-2018, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 09:37 AM)UCF Knight Wrote: How is the truth leverage?  17 people died less than a week ago and people want to act like it didn't happen already so that they can continue the pro gun argument.

Then there are geniuses in here parroting other things they've read about deaths from heart disease or drunk driving and act like its the same thing as a kid walking through hallways shooting people at will.

I don't think anyone on this board is acting like it didn't happen. I for one, am on the side that says we need some common sense gun laws that really address how easily the mentally ill are getting a hold of firearms. Banning so-called "assault weapons" is totally unrealistic though, when you figure how many are already out on the street. That ship has sailed. The kid who committed this particular atrocity had tons of red flags on him for years and he was still able to walk into a school and murder people. The real issue is, that he shouldn't have had any access to any weapons with his past of violence and threats. Something needs to be done about keeping any guns away from people like this, instead of limiting the rights of all gun owners.

And I can get on board with this 100%.

(02-20-2018, 02:34 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 01:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: People are so unrealistic. There are virtually millions of these rifles already out there on the street. How would you enforce a ban? It can't be done. You can keep people from buying new ones, but big deal. There is so many out there right now that it would be easy to get one. This is not a gun problem It is a mental healthy problem. We need to keep the mentally broken from getting a hold of these weapons. I'm all for some common sense gun laws, but banning certain weapons accomplishes nothing. It's simply too late for that.

This is the answer that gets a couple dozen people killed on a biweekly basis.

Let's assume you can make every "assault rifle" in the country disappear tomorrow, forcing shooters use handguns instead and the body count is reduced by half.  Now a dozen people are being killed biweekly...............what's your solution?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I do have at least a partial solution. Certain psychoactive drugs should preclude the patient from owning guns or other lethal weapons, just as certain drugs would disqualify a patient from driving a semi truck or operating heavy machinery for a living. It is notable that almost every mass shooter is on, or recently was on SSRI drugs.

(02-21-2018, 12:43 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 02:34 PM)TJBender Wrote: This is the answer that gets a couple dozen people killed on a biweekly basis.

Let's assume you can make every "assault rifle" in the country disappear tomorrow, forcing shooters use handguns instead and the body count is reduced by half.  Now a dozen people are being killed biweekly...............what's your solution?

We should outlaw murder. And crazy people. That will do it.

(02-21-2018, 01:52 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I do have at least a partial solution.  Certain psychoactive drugs should preclude the patient from owning guns or other lethal weapons, just as certain drugs would disqualify a patient from driving a semi truck or operating heavy machinery for a living.  It is notable that almost every mass shooter is on, or recently was on SSRI drugs.

Soooooo, Uncle Sam gets to read your medical chart now? So much for the right to privacy. I guess that means Roe v Wade has to go away too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

God forbid some of you who are pro bear arms fanatics die or lose someone in a mass shooting, will you all either want a monetary contribution or “prayers and support” from the NRA?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(02-21-2018, 09:37 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:09 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That didn’t stop you from leveraging their deaths to advance your cause.

How is the truth leverage?  17 people died less than a week ago and people want to act like it didn't happen already so that they can continue the pro gun argument.

He posted as if his opinion represented their's. 

What you're saying isn't applicable to his post or mine. I'm not ignoring their death, and I've already explained my stance. I haven't ignored anything.

(02-21-2018, 01:57 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: God forbid some of you who are pro bear arms fanatics die or lose someone in a mass shooting, will you all either want a monetary contribution or “prayers and support” from the NRA?

Yes, yes, we know. People who are emotionally invested in an event are incapable of standing by their principles. With you guys it's all emotion all the time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-21-2018, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 01:57 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: God forbid some of you who are pro bear arms fanatics die or lose someone in a mass shooting, will you all either want a monetary contribution or “prayers and support” from the NRA?

Yes, yes, we know. People who are emotionally invested in an event are incapable of standing by their principles. With you guys it's all emotion all the time.

So I take it you would just want a “prayers and support” consolation from the NRA if a tragedy like this was to effect you directly?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(02-21-2018, 02:18 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, yes, we know. People who are emotionally invested in an event are incapable of standing by their principles. With you guys it's all emotion all the time.

So I take it you would just want a “prayers and support” consolation from the NRA if a tragedy like this was to effect you directly?

Of course. What else is there to do? A psychopath went and did what a psychopath does.... and he went completely unchecked due to a liberal criminal justice system in South Florida that allows minority crime to be called a school issue rather than a criminal one. Which would have prevented his access to a gun with gun control laws already in effect. Although he probably would have stolen one in that case.

I don't understand you people. So ready to give up your rights for alleged "safety".

If my 15 month old son were to get shot at a random shooting I would damn sure accept thoughts and prayers (regardless of the fact that I happen to be an atheist) about it - because there's NOTHING ELSE TO DO. It happened. It's going to happen as long as we allow crazy people to live. I am not a victim, I don't live like a victim and I don't think like a victim. So I won't act like a frigging victim and demand some kind of action like an entitled brat. I am a grown man.

(02-21-2018, 02:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, yes, we know. People who are emotionally invested in an event are incapable of standing by their principles. With you guys it's all emotion all the time.

The NRA had nothing to do with the school shooting.  Pick another straw man.  I’m sure the lib playbook gives you scripted options.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Why would I even need that, it wasn't their fault.

(02-21-2018, 03:57 PM)FBT Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 02:18 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: So I take it you would just want a “prayers and support” consolation from the NRA if a tragedy like this was to effect you directly?

The NRA had nothing to do with the school shooting.  Pick another straw man.  I’m sure the lib playbook gives you scripted options.

The NRA is an "enabler"

en·a·bler
iˈnāblər,eˈnāblər/
noun

1. a person or thing that makes something possible.

(02-21-2018, 05:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 03:57 PM)FBT Wrote: The NRA had nothing to do with the school shooting.  Pick another straw man.  I’m sure the lib playbook gives you scripted options.

The NRA is an "enabler"

en·a·bler
iˈnāblər,eˈnāblər/
noun

Deflection, always unwilling to accept personal responsibility. The only one at fault is the shooter, no one else.

You guys never seem to take that stance if the shooter is muslim. Suddenly everyone needs banning.

(02-21-2018, 07:19 PM)lastonealive Wrote: You guys never seem to take that stance if the shooter is muslim. Suddenly everyone needs banning.

This is wrong in so many ways.

No one is talking about banning Muslims. What is discussed is changing a policy that encourages immigration to the US.

Look at it this way: if there was a group called "Asians for Sexual Sanity" that had a manifesto that all gays should be executed, would you want the US government to encourage their coming to the US?

Well maybe you would, since you live in Australia and clearly hate the US. But would you want the Australian government to encourage immigration by such a group? What is the Australian government policy on immigration of members of a group that has a basic tenet that gays should be hung? How many such people have immigrated to Australia in (say) the last five years?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(02-21-2018, 05:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 03:57 PM)FBT Wrote: The NRA had nothing to do with the school shooting.  Pick another straw man.  I’m sure the lib playbook gives you scripted options.

The NRA is an "enabler"

en·a·bler
iˈnāblər,eˈnāblər/
noun

Although not the preferred representation by pro 2nd admendment folks, yes they are enablers. They “enable” a constitutional right to stay intact as much as possible through the constant borage of political stupidity.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

You've written a lot of nonsense there. I like the US thanks and enjoy the sport. Think the politics are awful however in some ways.

I would fully support banning all immigrants from terror organisations by the way. Also acknowledge that extreme groups like evangelical Americans possibly not ideal. But can't really discuss religion here.

(02-21-2018, 07:43 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 07:19 PM)lastonealive Wrote: You guys never seem to take that stance if the shooter is muslim. Suddenly everyone needs banning.

"Asians for Sexual Sanity"

You know this is the only thing I took away from this post, right?

(02-20-2018, 05:34 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 03:52 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Where is the photo uproar of the 88,000 alcohol related deaths, including adolescents? How about the over 44,000 suicides? The blunt fact of the matter is there are bigger issues still not being addressed in this country. Oddly enough, I'm sure you could find a biological/mental disparity link between many of them. A shooting only gets attention for the wrong reasons and those reasons are normally political in nature.

There should be an uproar on all of the above, as well as inner city violence.  Any time innocent people get killed, there should be an uproar.

An uproar directed against whom?  If you're going to ban guns because of gun violence and shootings, shouldn't you also ban alcohol because of deaths caused by it's abuse?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.