Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
My 2018 Free Agent Class

For starters, I'd probably call the agents for Brees and Cousins with a rough offer and ask for a call back if they have a chance, but I wouldn't expect to get either at this point. I might also inquire with the Eagles about trading for Foles, but otherwise, I'm content with Blake starting this season. The only other FA option at QB I'd consider to start over Blake is Case Keenum, but I'm leaning toward keeping Blake here. Next year we'll see.

Here's my free agent class...
  1. WR Allen Robinson (Jaguars)
  2.  G Justin Pugh (Giants)
  3. TE Jimmy Graham (Seahawks)
  4. *CB Patrick Robinson (Eagles)
  5. MLB Avery Williamson (Titans)
  6. FS Tre Boston (Chargers)
  7. G Patrick Omameh (Jaguars)
*Regarding Patrick Robinson, I'd look into both signing him and re-signing Colvin with the intent of getting either without breaking the bank. I suspect Colvin is going to get paid to move outside possibly with the Titans, and that just maybe Robinson agrees to something shy of $10 mil per to play nickel. To put Robinson in perspective, he basically is Colvin except that he also gets INTs. That is a proven nickel who can play outside if needed. Colvin is only 27 where Robinson is 31, but I suspect that's key to keeping his pricetag down. If neither CB is willing to sign for something like $9 mil per, then look for the 26-year-old, 5-8 nickel CB Nickell Robey-Coleman from the Rams to sign. When you're named after the position you play, you know it's a good fit. 

Avery Williamson at 26 should take right over for the grandpa Poz, and I'm thinking he can be inked for about $9 mil per.

Tre Boston, 26, is a huge upgrade over Peyton Thompson, 27, who I figure is walking in free agency. Boston might even challenge Gip for the start... may the best FS win.

I presume all of their ERFAs will be re-signed, although I'm not as sure about their RFAs. I don't really see any of them getting an RFA tender but they might just re-sign anyways for the minimum to compete for backups spots in camp.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hard pass on Jimmy Graham.

No way in hell we sign seven free agents.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-22-2018, 09:45 AM)Rico Wrote: Hard pass on Jimmy Graham.

No way in hell we sign seven free agents.

Bet taken. 

And you lose! Ha!

Jacksonville has signed wayyyyy more than seven free agents. Heck, they signed three just last year!
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I think we could land 1 non-Jaguar from your list. Not sure how we could possibly afford all of this...

Where are you getting the money to sign all those guys?

We have just enough cap to franchise ARob. We will get more after cutting and restructuring guys but not enough to bring in that many guys. I honestly see them bringing back Robinson and then maybe bringing in a solid interior guy. After that it will probably be depth signings.

RE: the players mentioned by OP

I just hope they tag Allen Robinson if they can't get a deal done. That's the only FA move I'm really worried about. 

- Pugh would be nice - but he's trying to get Osemele money.  Maybe Coughlin can play a role in convincing him to come here cheaper, but I don't know if that's the best way to stretch the limited cap space right now. 
There will be a quality guard late in the second (or a really good guard late in the first if you aren't adverse to that.)

- I'd go nowhere near Jimmy Graham. He's a red-zone target and that's basically it. He does nothing else well enough to command the money he'll get.

- I'd replace Colvin by drafting a mid-round DB and throwing him into competition with Patmon and Myrick. If you're going to pay a guy too much money to play the nickel, just pay Colvin. He's younger and knows the defense. 

- I think the 2019 draft is the place to address the safety position. Not 2018 free agency. Let that one ride for a year as is. Not broken... don't fix it. 

- Omameh makes lots of sense to re-sign if they can agree on a reasonable contract.

My FA class this offseason is:

- A-Rob

- Colvin (if the price is friendly - not likely to happen)

- Omameh (again for a fair or friendly price) 

- Crockett Gilmore was my TE choice here, but he's changing positions due to knee issues, so:
Trey Burton would be worth a look if he doesn't break the bank. 

- I'd also take a long look at scouting reports on the FA guards and Centers hitting FA.
There are a bunch of centers about to hit year 5 in the league. A couple of them may represent an upgrade at RG if they have the versatility. One of those dudes might be had at mid-tier money and present good comp. in camp.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed if you think the Jags off season will look anything like last year.

It will most likely be ARob as the big "FA" get. They will make a push for Cousins but with the Jets making the biggest push, most likely lose out. They will offer Colvin a deal but the FA market for a corner is hot and he will cost too much. Omameh most likely comes back and I think they go after a lower tier TE. I (and most likely the Jags too) want no part of Eifert or Graham. Burton or Gilmore make the most sense. Maybe they go after a guard but like NYC said, he's going to cost a lot.

It's going to be a bargain year for the Jags and that's totally fine. They have drafted very well and their young talent is developing. I would expect the roster to look like this next year.

QB- Blake and a rookie
RB- Fournette, Grant, Yeldon
WR- ARob, Cole, Westbrook, lower tier FA (John Brown), Rookie
TE- Lewis, Burton, Rookie
Oline- Robinson, Omameh, Linder, FA, Parnell

Starting defense comes back.

What about Ryan Jensen. I haven't seen anyone mention him? Is 10mil too much for Linder after moving him back to guard?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

The guard play was mediocre to poor. I would not want Omameh back unless he's at or near vet minimum, for depth.

(02-22-2018, 01:23 PM)ATLjag Wrote: The guard play was mediocre to poor.  I would not want Omameh back unless he's at or near vet minimum, for depth.

I thought Omameh played much better than Cann. 
I'd focus on upgrading Cann before Omameh. 
It's possible to upgrade both in one offseason, but it may not work out that way and keeping Omameh around would be wise if one of your new acquisitions can't win the job. 
Of course - if he's getting big money offers elsewhere - I'd focus on upgrading rather than overpay him.

My FA class at the moment would be:

Allen Robinson WR - Duh

Josh Sitton LG or Justin Pugh LG/RT - Sitton would be the better run blocker but Pugh has more versatility and has experience with Coughlin, Marrone, Hackett, and Flaherty.

Christian Jones LB - Nearly signed with the Jags as an UDFA in 2014 until the Bears LB coach talked him out of it last minute. Jones can play all 3 LB spots, edge rusher, and ST.

Sign/tag Arob, bring back Omameh is the price is right. 

Switch to the GB/Pitt model.

(02-22-2018, 10:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: RE: the players mentioned by OP

I just hope they tag Allen Robinson if they can't get a deal done. That's the only FA move I'm really worried about. 

- Pugh would be nice - but he's trying to get Osemele money.  Maybe Coughlin can play a role in convincing him to come here cheaper, but I don't know if that's the best way to stretch the limited cap space right now. 
There will be a quality guard late in the second (or a really good guard late in the first if you aren't adverse to that.)

- I'd go nowhere near Jimmy Graham. He's a red-zone target and that's basically it. He does nothing else well enough to command the money he'll get.

- I'd replace Colvin by drafting a mid-round DB and throwing him into competition with Patmon and Myrick. If you're going to pay a guy too much money to play the nickel, just pay Colvin. He's younger and knows the defense. 

- I think the 2019 draft is the place to address the safety position. Not 2018 free agency. Let that one ride for a year as is. Not broken... don't fix it. 

- Omameh makes lots of sense to re-sign if they can agree on a reasonable contract.

My FA class this offseason is:

- A-Rob

- Colvin (if the price is friendly - not likely to happen)

- Omameh (again for a fair or friendly price) 

- Crockett Gilmore was my TE choice here, but he's changing positions due to knee issues, so:
Trey Burton would be worth a look if he doesn't break the bank. 

- I'd also take a long look at scouting reports on the FA guards and Centers hitting FA.
There are a bunch of centers about to hit year 5 in the league. A couple of them may represent an upgrade at RG if they have the versatility. One of those dudes might be had at mid-tier money and present good comp. in camp.

Admittedly I didn't consider how to fit everyone under the cap as that would be a challenge. So, I'll look at where we can find some cheaper options. I'll go over all seven again considering what you and others in this thread are saying.

1. I feel like most of us agree that ARob is our top priority even if that means using the franchise tag.
  2. Justin Pugh given his history with Coughlin really sounds like a great fit, and he's able to play RT in a clinch. We need an upgrade on the OL to make the offense better, and he's the one main target I've had all along. I don't see any rookie really coming in and improving the position. I'd also entertain Josh Sitton if Pugh simply can't be signed, although he's going to command a big contract as well. The big difference is that Pugh is 27 where Sitton is 31 and really a stop-gap player. 
  3. I'll agree that asking for Jimmy Graham at TE might be asking for too much with regard to the cap, but having let Mychal Rivera go we need to get someone at least better than him. I posted about Austin Seferian-Jenkins who should be a bit cheaper. He just turned down a 2-year offer at $4 mil per, but he might be game for something like $5.5 mil per. Graham is looking for a bit more than that. As I see it, this team can use an overhaul at the position as I don't really view either Koyack or O'Shaughnessy as a legitimate move TE. I'm thinking keep one of those two, get a FA TE to field the #2 TE spot behind Marcedes, and draft a TE to start developing.  I can see possibly skipping the FA TE, however, with the intent of going TE no later than round two and then still drafting a developmental TE later. On Tray Burton, I don't see him where he's any kind of upgrade over Mychal Rivera which, if they wanted Burton, would have me wondering why they let Rivera go.
  4. I'd love to re-sign Colvin. Basically, I'm looking at Colvin and Robinson with the intent of getting whichever CB ends up being cheaper. I see them as nearly the same guy except Colvin is younger which is why I suspect another team might give him the big money.
  5. What are we going to do at MLB? Poz is a FA and thee are teams looking at him. Do you re-sign Poz? For how much? Avery Williamson knows the division and is a young, up-and-coming MLB. We could draft a MLB, but we're talking about starting the rookie which suggests getting him in the first two rounds.
  6. It's similar at FS with Peyton Thompson hitting free agency in that we need to do something there, only now we're talking about a backup. Granted it might be asking for too much to land a starting-caliber FS, but does that mean drafting a backup FS in round four? Do we re-sign Thompson? I went with Tre Boston because he'd actually push Gip, but having an expensive backup FS might be overkill here. 
  7. Omameh played this past season for less than $1 mil, so I'm thinking they should be able to work something out.

So to re-cap, in order to actually afford the free agent class, I've backed off a little to...

1. ARob
  2. Pugh
  3. Patrick Robinson (or Colvin, whoever is cheaper)
  4. Williamson
  5. Seferian-Jenkins
  6. Omameh
At least that's a cheaper TE and no FS. Still too much?
'02

(02-22-2018, 04:06 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 10:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: RE: the players mentioned by OP

Admittedly I didn't consider how to fit everyone under the cap as that would be a challenge. So, I'll look at where we can find some cheaper options. I'll go over all seven again considering what you and others in this thread are saying.

1. ...
So to re-cap, in order to actually afford the free agent class, I've backed off a little to...

1. ARob
  2. Pugh
  3. Patrick Robinson (or Colvin, whoever is cheaper)
  4. Williamson
  5. Seferian-Jenkins
  6. Omameh
At least that's a cheaper TE and no FS. Still too much?

Strictly from a money standpoint, I'd think this alteration is more feasible. 

1. A-Rob transition tag
2.Pugh or Sitton
3. 3rd round draft pick (M.J. Stewart, Parry Nickerson, Rashaan Gaulden etc)  to battle Patmon/Myrick 
4. Look at guys like Christian Sam, Josey Jewell, Tegray Scales in the fourth round. You probably only need him to be a back up right now. If Poz isn't back - Jack will likely play MLB in base and nickel in 2018. 
5. Early draft pick to pair with Lewis and Koyack. Maybe Burton. 
6. Omameh if he doesn't get too greedy in contract negotiation.

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018, 07:23 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-22-2018, 09:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: For starters, I'd probably call the agents for Brees and Cousins with a rough offer and ask for a call back if they have a chance, but I wouldn't expect to get either at this point. I might also inquire with the Eagles about trading for Foles, but otherwise, I'm content with Blake starting this season. The only other FA option at QB I'd consider to start over Blake is Case Keenum, but I'm leaning toward keeping Blake here. Next year we'll see.

*Regarding Patrick Robinson, I'd look into both signing him and re-signing Colvin with the intent of getting either without breaking the bank. I suspect Colvin is going to get paid to move outside possibly with the Titans, and that just maybe Robinson agrees to something shy of $10 mil per to play nickel. To put Robinson in perspective, he basically is Colvin except that he also gets INTs. That is a proven nickel who can play outside if needed. Colvin is only 27 where Robinson is 31, but I suspect that's key to keeping his pricetag down. If neither CB is willing to sign for something like $9 mil per, then look for the 26-year-old, 5-8 nickel CB Nickell Robey-Coleman from the Rams to sign. When you're named after the position you play, you know it's a good fit. 

Avery Williamson at 26 should take right over for the grandpa Poz, and I'm thinking he can be inked for about $9 mil per.

Tre Boston, 26, is a huge upgrade over Peyton Thompson, 27, who I figure is walking in free agency. Boston might even challenge Gip for the start... may the best FS win.

I presume all of their ERFAs will be re-signed, although I'm not as sure about their RFAs. I don't really see any of them getting an RFA tender but they might just re-sign anyways for the minimum to compete for backups spots in camp.

I hope you dont really think we can afford all of those players.  No thanks on Graham and Patrick Robinson will be a good bit more than Colvin.  Robinson was one of if not the best nickel corners in the league last year on the SB winning team and made huge plays.  He will make north a 10 mil a year.  Pugh wont be cheap either.

Ok, just seen your 2nd post

You are really underestimating Patrick Robinson. We wont be able to afford him

I’m surprised only one person has mentioned Sitton. He makes a ton of sense to me. Might take a reasonable deal to come to a winner

(02-22-2018, 07:51 PM)JNev Wrote: I’m surprised only one person has mentioned Sitton. He makes a ton of sense to me. Might take a reasonable deal to come to a winner

Agree, he is my number 1 FA for us other than A Rob

I think this FA period will be more of "fill in the gaps" event than anything else.

Add depth with upside.
Add some cheap vets who want to play for a playoff caliber team.
Maybe take one swing at a mid tier TE/interior.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2018, 12:40 AM by Upper.)

Sitton was asked last time he was a FA if his hometown Jags had shown him interest. He replied by saying more than one of the Florida teams had contacted him (I'd guess one being us but who knows) but that he absolutely hated the Florida heat and did not want to go back there. That's a big reason why he chose Chicago.

(02-22-2018, 08:00 PM)JackCity Wrote: Maybe take one swing at a mid tier TE/interior.

Tag Arob, sign Burton, and sign Kline or Fusco and I think that's a very good FA period for the team this year (assuming we aren't ballsy enough to seriously look for a Bortles replacement ofc).

(02-22-2018, 07:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 09:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: For starters, I'd probably call the agents for Brees and Cousins with a rough offer and ask for a call back if they have a chance, but I wouldn't expect to get either at this point. I might also inquire with the Eagles about trading for Foles, but otherwise, I'm content with Blake starting this season. The only other FA option at QB I'd consider to start over Blake is Case Keenum, but I'm leaning toward keeping Blake here. Next year we'll see.

I hope you dont really think we can afford all of those players.  No thanks on Graham and Patrick Robinson will be a good bit more than Colvin.  Robinson was one of if not the best nickel corners in the league last year on the SB winning team and made huge plays.  He will make north a 10 mil a year.  Pugh wont be cheap either.  

Ok, just seen your 2nd post

You are really underestimating Patrick Robinson. We wont be able to afford him

I hear you on Robinson. My hope was that the market for CBs would dry up and he'll find himself on the outside realizing he's kind of old at 31. I'm expecting Colvin's pricetag to shoot up more than $10 mil, but was hoping just maybe Robinson wouldn't find his payday as easily and that maybe we could sign him for what we wanted to pay Colvin. For the same money, I'd rather have Colvin, and I worry about any rookie coming in and immediately starting at nickel back. Patmon should be our 5th CB... not our 3rd.  The bottom line is we can use a good veteran nickel for something south of $10 mil per.

As for TE, there are a few who intrigue O me but we'd be lucky to get them at the end of round two.  I imagine Andrews, Hurst and Goedert going early, but maybe Gesecki or Schultz is there. They would have to develop as blockers tho, so I imagine we'd keep Koyack as a blocking TE. O'Shaugnassy would probably be on his way out. I'd love to just go TE in round one by taking Mark Andrews and his impressively think frame to help block downfield, but now I keep thinking we go Lamar Jackson in round one.

'02