Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

Well deserved! Bortles rocks!
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-24-2018, 10:56 PM)knarnn Wrote: http://m.jaguars.com/media-gallery/video...114f90a36f

Blake Bortles talks extension and surgery update.

Said all the right things.  I really, really, really hope he takes the next step this year.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018, 11:23 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

If this is really front loaded like some have been saying, than this is a great deal. Blake either proves he is the man, or we get someone who is. I am liking it. I am guessing they called Kirk Cousins agent and he told them the price was 30 mil plus, and they wisely avoided. Hard to justify Cousins at over 30 when you can have Bortles at 18.

(02-24-2018, 10:56 PM)knarnn Wrote: http://m.jaguars.com/media-gallery/video...114f90a36f

Hes going back out to California again! Thats the best news out of that video.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2018, 11:36 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-24-2018, 08:26 PM)jjgator Wrote:
(02-24-2018, 08:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: At least it's only 2 years. That's not long term, so it shouldn't effect us from drafting a QB at all. I honestly didn't think he'd accept a short term deal. I was afraid it was gonna be something like a 5-6 year deal. I'm fine with this.

Wouldn't it be 3? (2018, 2019, and 2020) Anyone have any guesses on how much money it is for?

Yeah, I didn't see through 2020. My bad. Sometimes that last year can be voided in some contracts though, so we'll have to wait for details.

(02-24-2018, 08:30 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/adamschefter/...twterm%5E3

Out of the FA QB market. It doesn't mean we won't draft one.

Blake is essentially betting on himself by taking this deal. I guess he welcomes the competition from a rookie and believes he can still win the starting job. At least he's confident.

(02-24-2018, 11:19 PM)copycat Wrote:

Said all the right things.  I really, really, really hope he takes the next step this year.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

He looked better than I've ever seen him in those final two games. It's very possible the switch was flipped for him after getting the confidence of winning a playoff game. Having ARob back and probably another weapon at TE will certainly help. Thats not even taking into consideration any improvement on the OL and Fournette off of a rested offseason not having to prepare for the draft. A full season of Dede and a more experienced Cole just add fuel to the fire. If he flounders there are no excuses. The tools are (or will be) in place.

On a non-performance related note, he really endeared himself to me after the Championship game when he really showed his emotions and how much this meant to him. I know we all want all our guys to play well, but it would be awesome to see him succeed and prove so many haters wrong.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 12:41 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

(02-24-2018, 11:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Blake is essentially betting on himself by taking this deal. I guess he welcomes the competition from a rookie and believes he can still win the starting job. At least he's confident.

I don't see this as a betting on himself type of deal.  He took the additional guaranteed money that was presented to him ($7.5 mil).  If he was betting on himself, he would have told them to hold on to his option and he'd see them at the negotiating table next year.

This is not a deal that a guy that is confident that he is a franchise guy accepts. That doesn't mean that he can't gain that confidence moving forward though. He just basically gave the team 2 additional option years for $7.5 million.

Win-win for the Jags and Blake. The Jags still have the option to pick a QB in the first round and have less money committed to that position than getting in a bidding war for Cousins (e.g. Bears paid Glennon essentially the same money and picked Trubisky). They also have more cap space to play with. Blake gets some security in a 3 year deal that he wouldn't have had playing on the option.

Since he signed before the start of the new NFL year, is there any chance that some of his cap hit is applied to 2017?

(02-24-2018, 08:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: You can argue about him coming back or not but cap wise it's the perfect move if we planned on keeping him.  

Basically no risk from us and everything to gain if he does somehow take that big step forward. Good move.

18th most guaranteed money for a QB. Seems perfectly in line to me.

100% agree. Doesn't really mean the jaguars won't draft a guy if one they like is in the right range either.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 03:27 AM by tyus.)

Nice move by both sides. Time to draft a qb and see if he can compete with Bortles in 2 years time.

This news is relieving to know. 

Maybe they got video of Bortles using his surgically-repaired wrist to sign the contract?

This makes it clear Bortles was 'the owner's pick'. Coughlin, Caldwell and Marrone were extended with the provision that Bortles is 'their' guy.

The relief is in knowing Bortles can be moved in the coming days.

I don’t know if he will be the QB we need.

But I’m really happy we re-signed him.

He’s the QB I want to lead our team and hopefully this will give him the confidence to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 05:56 AM by Upper.)

It's a good deal if the team actually has the bravery to get rid of Blake if he doesn't take the step forward. It's definitely structured to be able to do that pretty easily.

Unfortunately as I've said many times this offseason, there is ample evidence of teams being petrified by making a QB change and wasting prime championship caliber windows on mediocre QBs. If Blake stays average but the team overall stays pretty good will they have the balls to move on? I am not so sure, history says that is faaaar from certain.

(02-25-2018, 01:07 AM)newporttom Wrote: Since he signed before the start of the new NFL year, is there any chance that some of his cap hit is applied to 2017?

I don't think that would matter, since unused cap space is carried over from one year to the next.

(02-24-2018, 08:40 PM)JackCity Wrote: You can argue about him coming back or not but cap wise it's the perfect move if we planned on keeping him.

Basically no risk from us and everything to gain if he does somehow take that big step forward. Good move.

18th most guaranteed money for a QB. Seems perfectly in line to me.

I agree, financially it's a very good teal for the team, basically a one year-prove it deal with just 26M guaranteed money.

Now that we won't be in the FA market it will be very important to draft the right QB to sit behind him and prepare him. If Bortles improves again (I think he really needs to if we want to win something) great, if not we can cut him next year and have the rookie step up.

Given the options around on the FA market (team probably contacted Cousins camp and they figured out he wasn't going anywhere for less than 30+M a year and he was already getting mega offers from Jets/Browns) this is a very smart deal which gives us flexibility.
Maybe we even manage to target Pugh in FA or resign Colvin or any kind of move that we couldn't afford to do till yesterday.

(02-25-2018, 05:54 AM)Upper Wrote: It's a good deal if the team actually has the bravery to get rid of Blake if he doesn't take the step forward. It's definitely structured to be able to do that pretty easily.

Unfortunately as I've said many times this offseason, there is ample evidence of teams being petrified by making a QB change and wasting prime championship caliber windows on mediocre QBs. If Blake stays average but the team overall stays pretty good will they have the balls to move on? I am not so sure, history says that is faaaar from certain.

The Jaguars took 102 pass attempts away from Bortles last season. There was basically zero difference in his statistics from the previous season.

Let that sink in for a while.

You guys.... Spacecoast was right....

I am comparing this era of extensions/sweating out extensions to the Shack and Smith eras where seemingly very few players warranted extensions.

I am smiling at the thought.

I just hope Robinson can return to his pre injury form after he signs an extension.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 08:14 AM by Andy G.)

I wonder what we’ve learned from the decision to go for three years, rather than using the one year option?

As others have pointed out, we could still pick up a potential replacement in the draft, so what’s the thinking here?

Are they saying they’re not confident the long-term answer can be found at the 29th pick perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk