Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs Extension through 2020

(02-25-2018, 08:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You guys.... Spacecoast was right....

Nah, for the longest time Spacecoast said Blake was going to bounce ASAP and play for a "real organization" like the Jets .
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Keep the defense in tact and the Jags will be competing at a top level for years to come.

Maybe draft QBs in the mid to late rounds if someone drops. I still like Riley Ferguson in the 6th out of Memphis (if he drops that low)

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 09:31 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think we need to keep in mind, there are a LOT of positions on our offense that can be upgraded MUCH more easily than QB.  

Since we got within a play or two of the Super Bowl, it's completely unreasonable to say Blake can't win a Super Bowl.   He absolutely can win a Super Bowl, with better talent around him.  It's not like we have this talented offense that just needs a QB.  There are opportunities to upgrade all over our offense.

(02-25-2018, 08:00 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 05:54 AM)Upper Wrote: It's a good deal if the team actually has the bravery to get rid of Blake if he doesn't take the step forward. It's definitely structured to be able to do that pretty easily.

Unfortunately as I've said many times this offseason, there is ample evidence of teams being petrified by making a QB change and wasting prime championship caliber windows on mediocre QBs. If Blake stays average but the team overall stays pretty good will they have the balls to move on? I am not so sure, history says that is faaaar from certain.

The Jaguars took 102 pass attempts away from Bortles last season. There was basically zero difference in his statistics from the previous season.

Let that sink in for a while.

They leaned on the defense more.  I'm surprised that he took this deal.  Maybe there was the chance they would have cut him prior to the option kicking in so this was a safe way forward.  Good on the team using incentives.  I really hope some of the stuff we saw last year was wrist related and everything improves naturally as more players mature.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-25-2018, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:00 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: The Jaguars took 102 pass attempts away from Bortles last season. There was basically zero difference in his statistics from the previous season.

They leaned on the defense more.  I'm surprised that he took this deal.  Maybe there was the chance they would have cut him prior to the option kicking in so this was a safe way forward.  Good on the team using incentives.  I really hope some of the stuff we saw last year was wrist related and everything improves naturally as more players mature.
I don’t think the wrist hurt him at all. He said he was never in danger of missing a game and the surgery was just a cleanup.

Quote from Blake, I don't think anyone can question the kind of man he is, and I'm very proud we have this kind of person as our QB. I hope he only excels now.

Quote:Bortles said he stressed to Tollner that he didn't want to fight over financial details at the expense of limiting what the Jaguars could do with other players.
"That was one of the big things when me and Ryan talked early on about this a week ago," Bortles said. "I said, 'We're getting paid millions of dollars to play football.' It's tough to pitter patter about how much money you're making. It's all incredible. It's all a dream come true. We're all extremely lucky to do it.
"Rather than fight over money here or money there, let's take what we can get because it's more than I ever thought I'd make and it allows us to go get some other guys done and continue to be a good football team all around."

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 10:24 AM by MoJagFan.)

(02-25-2018, 09:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: They leaned on the defense more.  I'm surprised that he took this deal.  Maybe there was the chance they would have cut him prior to the option kicking in so this was a safe way forward.  Good on the team using incentives.  I really hope some of the stuff we saw last year was wrist related and everything improves naturally as more players mature.
I don’t think the wrist hurt him at all. He said he was never in danger of missing a game and the surgery was just a cleanup.

My daughter had some hairline fractures on each of the long bones as they meet at the wrist.  The big pain was in the damage the soft tissue took where all the ligaments and bones meet.  A surgery that cleans up an area will hurt and cause unexpected things when working on throwing a football.

I have no cartilage left in my left knee and they offered to go in there and clean it up for me.  The random jolts when I walk and do mundane tasks did impact everything I do.  The guy is tough there is no doubt about it.  I think there was some impact on his consistency.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-25-2018, 09:55 AM)d4rkman Wrote: Quote from Blake, I don't think anyone can question the kind of man he is, and I'm very proud we have this kind of person as our QB. I hope he only excels now.

Quote:Bortles said he stressed to Tollner that he didn't want to fight over financial details at the expense of limiting what the Jaguars could do with other players.
"That was one of the big things when me and Ryan talked early on about this a week ago," Bortles said. "I said, 'We're getting paid millions of dollars to play football.' It's tough to pitter patter about how much money you're making. It's all incredible. It's all a dream come true. We're all extremely lucky to do it.
"Rather than fight over money here or money there, let's take what we can get because it's more than I ever thought I'd make and it allows us to go get some other guys done and continue to be a good football team all around."

Wow.  That's a heck of an attitude.  Kudos to him.

Blake Bortles.......franchise quarterback.

(02-25-2018, 09:55 AM)d4rkman Wrote: Quote from Blake, I don't think anyone can question the kind of man he is, and I'm very proud we have this kind of person as our QB. I hope he only excels now.

Ahhhhh it would be so sweet if he came out and tossed 33 TDs next season

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 10:55 AM by BlueEyedJag.)

Cap hit will be 10 million this year...

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...0063570947

Wow....if they lowered his year 1 cap number to $9m, I am anxious to see the signing bonus they gave him that is being spread over the 3 year deal.

I have mixed feelings here, but I am glad he took the deal and glad the Jags got this deal done. I'm all about BAP in the draft this year, but a QB in (LJ please) the first round would be epic. There are now so many open options for the Jags in FA, going forward with the cap and that's what makes me even more excited now.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(02-25-2018, 11:03 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Wow....if they lowered his year 1 cap number to $9m, I am anxious to see the signing bonus they gave him that is being spread over the 3 year deal.

10 million guaranteed in 2018. 16 over the course of 2019+2020. I'd also wager there is an out in 2020. Possibly even in 2019.

Tidbits on #Jaguars QB Blake Bortles’ 3-year, $54M contract: $20M comes in year 1 (up from $19M from the 5th year option). All $26.5M is fully guaranteed at signing. 2019 is an affordable $16M. Incentives such as Super Bowl MVP get it to $66.5M max. Year 1 cap number: $10M.

-Per Rapoport

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018, 11:58 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I like the deal, hopefully we can sign Sitton and resign A Rob

(02-25-2018, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:00 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: The Jaguars took 102 pass attempts away from Bortles last season. There was basically zero difference in his statistics from the previous season.

The fact he accepted it actually tells us all we need to know about where he's at in the teams mind and his own. What other choice would he have though. No other team brings him in as "The" guy.

This will be Bortes fist time with 2 straight full years with the same offensive coordinator

So turns out it's 20 million guaranteed in 2018. Only 6.5 spread over the final 2. Beautiful contract

Jaguars QB Blake Bortles gets $20 million (all guaranteed at signing) in 2018, per source, as part of his new deal. In 2019, he’s due $16 million, $6.5 million on which is fully guaranteed at signing. So base value is $20M over 1; $36M over 2; and $54M over 3

So basically, the Jags can pay $6.5 million to bail from the Bortles deal after one year. If Bortles improves, deal becomes a bargain.

-Per Albert Breer