Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles is a bigger problem than Gus

Quote:Where does the buck stop here? The regression of his throwing motion is atrocious when compared to where it was at last year even at it's worst. OC? QB Coach? All of the above? Either way attempting to correct Bortles has got to be the right plan and it has to start soon.

I think it starts at the head coach and trickles down. The fact that it is the end of week 7 and the motion looks like its getting worse makes me think that Gus is not taking the issue seriously. What's worse, he's not on Olsen or the qb coach to light a fire under them. And clearly those 2 either don't see it as a problem are are incapable of showing bb5 how to fix it.

In addition, bb5 is not absolved from accountability either.

Its not rocket science here. The fact that it is not getting fixed reflects poorly on all of them. But the poo starts at the top and flows down hill.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The funny thing was the answer was there. Bortles broke a decent run on the option. It could really help ease the anaemic running Game, but for some bizarre reason we didn't do it again.

Bortles plays better out of the pocket, trying to make him play just like a Phillip Rivers is not playing to our qbs strengths.

A bad coaching staff can destroy a QB and surrounding players. Look at the players that leave here and become great all of a sudden (Reggie Nelson, Daryl Smith *he was good here too though*, Pot Roast, and I know I'm missing a bunch). But a good coaching staff will bring out the best in their players. We haven't had this in a very very long time............

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

He's been bailed out by the Allens in the past yet they aren't bailing him out now.

I don't get that logic.

They are problems 1a and 1b, don't care the order. There is no problem 2 or 3 or 4. Maybe pass rush is #5, but that's how far back it is in priority to coaching and QB play.

Something I've always noticed and wondered about, why doesn't Bortles ever look at the tablets that they use on the sideline during games?

In every game, every week you see QBs go straight to the bench and start going back through the looks the Defense showed on that previous series of downs.

I don't think I've ever seen Bortles look at one on the sidelines during games. He just goes to the bench and sits there with a blank look on his face until Olsen comes over with one. Then he'll glance at it while Olsen is showing him whatever on it, but I can't say I've ever seen Bortles do it on his own.

Obviously they don't show Bortles the whole time on the sideline, so maybe he does. But they show him quite a bit and he's usually just sitting there.

I'm getting worried that bortles has a problem.....a major problem.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:I am absolutely shocked at what has happened to Bortles this year.

I was as well, but certain demons can catch up to you.

Quote:My question is, how come nobody is helping him fix it? I hear no mention of his mechanics.
So you never watch any of the press conferences that Bortles does after practices?  

Because he's talked about needing to clean his footwork, timing and accuracy in two different pressers this year.  

Quote:So you never watch any of the press conferences that Bortles does after practices?

Because he's talked about needing to clean his footwork, timing and accuracy in two different pressers this year.

Clean implies he is doing it mostly right. It needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

Quote:Clean implies he is doing it mostly right. It needs to be blown up and rebuilt.
I'm not quoting him verbatim.  Don't read too much into the semantics. 

He was clear about needing to improve. 

Quote:I'm not quoting him verbatim. Don't read too much into the semantics.

He didn't work with House this past offseason, right?

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 10:05 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Quote:I'm not quoting him verbatim. Don't read too much into the semantics.

My biggest issue is drafting a guy with mechanical issues that high in the first place. I think Caldwell put way too much faith in having a competent coaching staff to develop him.

Quote:He didn't work with House this past offseason, right?
He did, but for a shortened period of time. 

I actually wonder if the two different camps are part of the problem.  He's potentially having to reconcile different advice and techniques that conflict at times. 

Quote:He did, but for a shortened period of time.

I actually wonder if the two different camps are part of the problem. He's potentially having to reconcile different advice and techniques that conflict at times.

It isn't something that can be fixed in 1 or even 3 offseasons.

Quote:It isn't something that can be fixed in 1 or even 3 offseasons.
I'd share that opinion if I didn't witness him improve his mechanics and then regress.  But I saw him make some solid steps in the right direction only to take two steps back.  

Can he take three more forward?  I have no idea, but it's getting tougher to have faith that he will with every passing week. 

Quote:I'm getting worried that bortles has a problem.....a major problem.

Don't worry, they have to fire Gus eventually.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I'd share that opinion if I didn't witness him improve his mechanics and then regress. But I saw him make some solid steps in the right direction only to take two steps back.

Can he take three more forward? I have no idea, but it's getting tougher to have faith that he will with every passing week.

Being a golfer, I compare it to taking a swing change from the range to the course. I would be much happier if Bortles were throwing terrible passes WITH better mechanics. It would at least mean he was further along in the process of change.

Quote:Being a golfer, I compare it to taking a swing change from the range to the course. I would be much happier if Bortles were throwing terrible passes WITH better mechanics. It would at least mean he was further along in the process of change.
Agreed.

Quote:Being a golfer, I compare it to taking a swing change from the range to the course. I would be much happier if Bortles were throwing terrible passes WITH better mechanics. It would at least mean he was further along in the process of change.
It's worse than that even. On the course you get complete silence and all the time you need to get ready or take practice swings. In the NFL you have 60k people screaming while 300+ lb men are trying to kill you. It's natural that in that chaos you would go with the motion that you have had for your entire life and that brought you as far as Blake as gotten thus far.