Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do we spend the spare cap on?

Suppose we don’t pay ARob or Colvin...

We’d have some spare cash to spend and nobody else in desperate need of re-signing to a big deal.

So who do you go for with the money?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to spend it. That 's how you end up over paying for mediocre players like Gerhart or Odrick.

If it doesn’t go to ARob then I think it goes to Lee, Colvin, and a FA guard.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2018, 07:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

You have to remember,  we can be under the cap this year, but if it's because of past carry-forwards, then the same payroll could put us over the cap next year.  

For example, if the cap this year is $150 million, and we had $30 million in carry overs from last year, we could spend $170 million and still be under the cap by 10 million.  But next year, suppose the cap goes up to $155 million, and we carry over the $10 million from this year, that gives us a total cap of $165 million, which means with the same payroll, we are $5 million OVER the cap.  

This is why carryover cap room has to be bled off slowly over a period of years and not all spent in one year.   Or else you have to have a plan to cut your payroll in future years.  What I'm saying is, sometimes it's not wise to just spend all your cap room.  You have to have a payroll that is sustainable.

Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you have to spend it. We may really need it in the future, so maybe it would be smart to keep it for a "rainy day."

I think we pay Robinson/Colvin, target a Guard in FA, make a slight run at Burton at TE....and then draft G/TE/QB in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(03-02-2018, 07:07 AM)DragonFury Wrote: Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to spend it. That 's how you end up over paying for mediocre players like Gerhart or Odrick.

^^ this

(03-02-2018, 07:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You have to remember,  we can be under the cap this year, but if it's because of past carry-forwards, then the same payroll could put us over the cap next year.  

For example, if the cap this year is $150 million, and we had $30 million in carry overs from last year, we could spend $170 million and still be under the cap by 10 million.  But next year, suppose the cap goes up to $155 million, and we carry over the $10 million from this year, that gives us a total cap of $165 million, which means with the same payroll, we are $5 million OVER the cap.  

This is why carryover cap room has to be bled off slowly over a period of years and not all spent in one year.   Or else you have to have a plan to cut your payroll in future years.  What I'm saying is, sometimes it's not wise to just spend all your cap room.  You have to have a payroll that is sustainable.

That is assuming that you structure a contract completely evenly or backload it. I think all 32 decision makers in the NFL are smart enough to know to frontload rollover cap space. It's pretty basic.

Beer and Ganja!!!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I would be shocked if one of either Arob or Colvin isn't signed to a deal.

An interior OL would be my next hope.

If we don't use it on ARob or Colvin, then save it. Draft our linemen and TE. Maybe get Pugh or another FA guard. But other than that, save it. Maybe go after Dez once Dallas cuts him lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(03-02-2018, 02:44 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I would be shocked if one of either Arob or Colvin isn't signed to a deal.

I'd be shocked if Colvin is signed to a deal. Some team is likely to throw CB1 money at him but even if he's worth CB1 money he'd still be CB3 on our roster.

Resign Robinson (tag if you have to). Guard in FA like Pugh. Draft a TE in round 1 or 2. Draft a CB in the top 4 rounds and have him compete with a guy like Patmon for the nickel.

(03-02-2018, 03:10 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 02:44 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I would be shocked if one of either Arob or Colvin isn't signed to a deal.

I'd be shocked if Colvin is signed to a deal. Some team is likely to throw CB1 money at him but even if he's worth CB1 money he'd still be CB3 on our roster.

We differ as I don't see him getting CB1 money from anyone.  Good for him if he does get that though.

Hookers and Cocaine

(03-02-2018, 03:25 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 03:10 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I'd be shocked if Colvin is signed to a deal. Some team is likely to throw CB1 money at him but even if he's worth CB1 money he'd still be CB3 on our roster.

We differ as I don't see him getting CB1 money from anyone.  Good for him if he does get that though.

He's not going to get the type of deal Bouye got or Ramsey will get but teams have cottoned on to the fact that cornerbacks are a premium position and like with QB's there will be a team willing to pay vastly more than we're willing to pay.

I could use some help with bad plumbing.

(03-02-2018, 04:21 PM)scottyg Wrote: I could use some help with bad plumbing.

Laxatives might help with that.

(03-02-2018, 07:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You have to remember,  we can be under the cap this year, but if it's because of past carry-forwards, then the same payroll could put us over the cap next year.  

That always isn't the case.  Caldwell does a good job of front loading contracts so the following year the same players get payed less.

Player A might count as 15 million on this years cap but Player A counts only 7 million on the following years cap.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-02-2018, 08:10 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(03-02-2018, 07:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You have to remember,  we can be under the cap this year, but if it's because of past carry-forwards, then the same payroll could put us over the cap next year.  

That always isn't the case.  Caldwell does a good job of front loading contracts so the following year the same players get payed less.

Player A might count as 15 million on this years cap but Player A counts only 7 million on the following years cap.

Not really though. If you look at the big contracts on the team right now most are have flat cap hits. A.J. Bouye for example has a $15.5 million on each of the remaining 4 years left on his contract. The key to contracts on this team is the management of dead money hits, essentially every contract is structured in a way that within 2 years of signing a player can be cut and save us money on the cap. That's how we were able to get rid of players like Gerhart, Odrick and Thomas so fast. Their two years were up and we weren't held hostage by a contract with a bunch undeclared dead money on it.