Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Time Passes

Is it fair to believe that the more time that passes by with us not having a new deal worked out with A-Rob or Colvin, the more likely that they're at least going to test the market?  From all of the reports and speculation, I'm leaning heavily towards believing that we've already decided to not use the Franchise tag.  If this is the case, I'd be very surprised if A-Rob doesn't want to test the market.  I'm a big A-Rob fan, but there will be another time, i.e. the 49ers, Bears, Browns, etc, that will overpay to bring him in, pricing us out of retaining him.  Reading through the lines of Dave's press conference at the combine, it was pretty obvious that we're not going to pay A-Rob like he's a top tier WR, which is what I'm sure he's seeking, and will probably find on the over inflated free agent market.  I know that there has been speculation about us retaining A.C., but I definitely don't think we're going to over pay for his services either.  I think the only we keep him in house is if he hits free agency, and his market is much smaller than he expected.  This just won't be the case for A-Rob because there will always be teams willing to overpay for the chance to hit it big with a top tier talent at a position of importance.  I think that A.C. will have a harder time finding a big pay day for a nickel CB.  I know that this position is much more relevant than it used to be, but teams aren't going to over him like they will a WR. Our front office recognizes all of the big contracts that we're going to have to dish out in the next couple of years, primarily on the defensive side of the ball, i.e. Ramsey, Yannick, and Jack. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think we're going to let both of these guys go, and will only possibly retain Colvin at our asking price.  For some reason though, I think we're going to come out of nowhere and aggressively pursue Andrew Norwell, the guard from Carolina.  I also think we'll go after Trey Burton at the TE position.  If we do let Robinson walk, I would look for us to circle back around on Marquise Lee for some continuity, and then take one of the top WR prospects in the draft. 

What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

When your talking about millions of dollars and negotiating for your future, it takes a little time.

It's not like Arob and Caldwell kinda bump into each other at the gas station, and dap each other up and be like "Oh hey man, how's the family....oh and Hey...will you stay with the team if I offer you 10 million?

Be patient man. It'll all work out.

And PS...if we lose Colvin then who cares.

(03-03-2018, 08:58 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: And PS...if we lose Colvin then who cares.
That is pretty much the way I feel about Robinson. Colvin would be my priority out of those two.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(03-03-2018, 08:58 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: When your talking about millions of dollars and negotiating for your future, it takes a little time.

It's not like Arob and Caldwell kinda bump into each other at the gas station, and dap each other up and be like "Oh hey man, how's the family....oh and Hey...will you stay with the team if I offer you 10 million?

Be patient man. It'll all work out.

And PS...if we lose Colvin then who cares.

I understand the being patient part, but remember they only have until Tuesday to tag him.  If they don't tag him Tuesday and he hasn't agreed to a deal, I would not expect him back.  I would think that if they are going to be able to come to a deal before the tag deadline Tuesday, we should be hearing some reports of some significant process by tomorrow/Monday.  So you can say be patient, but the reality is that time is of the essence.

There is nothing wrong with setting a fiscally responsible course and then sticking to it. This is what the Jaguars appear to be doing, some fan-favorites will not be re-signed but the team will remain competitive.

Think a little about the gamble the 49ers are taking on Jimmy Garropolo with his $27.5 mill/year contract or what the Redskins are doing with Alex Smith and is $71 million guarantee. If JG is a bust or if AS suddenly loses it, those franchises will be crippled.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Looking at it another way, what were you expecting Caldwell to say mid-way through negotiations?

He’s hardly going to tell the media (and through them, ARob’s agent) “the money doesn’t matter, we’re going to pay whatever it takes”.

Perhaps the comments from Marrone (who perhaps wasn’t being so guarded, but still knew the situation) might be closer to the truth - ie. we have the cash to get deals done.

I still think a deal is possible.

But yes, it needs to be done soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colvin was always a long shot to retain. We still have a bit more time to make it work, but I wouldn’t count on it.
ARob will be tagged before the deadline if they don’t announce a longer term deal tomorrow.

How about that draft class by the way?
3 players already signed to second contracts on the Jags
1 player potentially getting the tag
2 players likely getting deals with other teams
2 players still in the league
3 UDFA still on the team
Only one player out of the league

That is an extremely rare hit rate. Kudos to the scouting department.

(03-04-2018, 08:56 AM)rufftime Wrote: Colvin was always a long shot to retain. We still have a bit more time to make it work, but I wouldn’t count on it.
ARob will be tagged before the deadline if they don’t announce a longer term deal tomorrow.

How about that draft class by the way?
3 players already signed to second contracts on the Jags
1 player potentially getting the tag
2 players likely getting deals with other teams
2 players still in the league
3 UDFA still on the team
Only one player out of the league

That is an extremely rare hit rate. Kudos to the scouting department.
Thanks for pointing that out, it is indeed remarkable.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I’m thinking Colvin gets paid and Arob walks. Based on some interviews I’ve seen, it sounds as if he believes he has more potential elsewhere. His speak always has a personal tone and never a team one. I don’t believe the team thinks he is worth the tag number ( $16+ million), therefore he will most likely get overpaid elsewhere. I think he has huge upside and can be a game changer at times but to pay him like he is THE receiver on the team after one consistent and productive year is crazy talk if it affects the overall ability to maintain team continuity of play on both sides of the ball.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 12:28 PM by imtheblkranger.)

Also keep in mind, the combine is when a lot of these deals get worked on. Everyone is in the same facility with plenty of time to discuss contracts
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Probably nothing, but if you look at ARob’s activity on Twitter, he no longer seems to be talking about himself and his ability.

He has gone back to talking about normal stuff again (mostly sports).

Does this indicate he is feeling more relaxed about his future?

And if so, is that good news?

On one hand it could mean he has made up his mind to leave and is now just waiting for free agency.

On the other it could mean he has made up his mind to stay and is just waiting for the details to be tied up.

Or, like I said - could be nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM by JackCity.)

I'm 80% sure Arob will be here in 2018.

They'll reach a deal tomorrow or tag will be placed. I'd wager the long term deal is much more likely though.

(03-03-2018, 09:07 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(03-03-2018, 08:58 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: And PS...if we lose Colvin then who cares.
That is pretty much the way I feel about Robinson. Colvin would be my priority out of those two.

So you feel the third best CB on the team is more important than the best WR on the team?

Surprisingly, a trusted league source told us today to expect the #Jaguars to keep Marqise Lee, NOT ARob

From RosterWatch on Twitter. A-Rob also liked it. I think it’s looking less and less likely that A-Rob is back. If that’s the case, I wish we could figure out a way to trade him.

Yeah saw that..still think he stays.

Our front office has zero leaks.

(03-04-2018, 08:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah saw that..still think he stays.  

Bortles contract leaked.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 08:48 PM by JackCity.)

(03-04-2018, 08:46 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote:
(03-04-2018, 08:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah saw that..still think he stays.  

Bortles contract leaked.

Not really. They had him signed up pretty quickly. 
Allbright was making stuff up.

He's gone

https://twitter.com/Thee_AR15/status/970...13410?s=19

Still not feeling like an unnecessary status quo round of back pats or however I phrased it last week?

I was kind of expecting it the past couple of days.

Thing is that without tagging him trading him is basically impossible...would suck just letting him walk with nothing in return..