Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell Speaks

(03-07-2018, 09:15 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(03-07-2018, 08:26 AM)Rico Wrote: We got the same, if not better, production out of Cole and we didn't have to waste a draft pick on him.

No two picks were wasted. One was a paranoia pick wasted on a redundant pass rushing DE. The other was a waste attempting to solidify the stealthy offensive weapon Caldwell is STILL trying to replace.

We all know what a WR looks like. We know the measurements. The stride. The route-running ability, etc. 

What the Robinson injury exposed is how one deep he has this team. 

I mentioned Cooper Kupp because he is a legitimate candidate for a number one or number two role on the team. When Robinson went down Caldwell had only spiffy slot guys left.

https://youtu.be/m63oXszDTP8

Had Robinson not gone down to injury, then any WR that we picked in round 3 would look the same way as Smoot. You have the luxury of hindsight, but our pass rush didn't appear solved before the season started. Caldwell was likely hoping for more potential star pass-rushers and someone to replace anyone we lose. 

Besides, we weren't one-deep at WR. We lost Robinson for 16 games, Hurns for 6 games, and Lee for 2 games. Who would've guessed we would've lost all three starters for multiple games?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I can't shake the feeling that Dave and Co. drafted Smoot in order to take over for Campbell in a few years.

While Smoot is nowhere near as tall as Campbell (6' 3" to 6' 8"), he seems like more of the traditional "5 Tech" DE than an edge bender along the likes of Ngakoue. He carries his weight the same way as Campbell does.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(03-08-2018, 09:35 AM)Deacon Wrote: I can't shake the feeling that Dave and Co. drafted Smoot in order to take over for Campbell in a few years.

While Smoot is nowhere near as tall as Campbell (6' 3" to 6' 8"), he seems like more of the traditional "5 Tech" DE than an edge bender along the likes of Ngakoue. He carries his weight the same way as Campbell does.

I agree, and from what I saw of Smoot, he seemed to play very well.

(03-08-2018, 09:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 09:35 AM)Deacon Wrote: I can't shake the feeling that Dave and Co. drafted Smoot in order to take over for Campbell in a few years.

I agree, and from what I saw of Smoot, he seemed to play very well.

Consensus!
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(03-07-2018, 05:17 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Why not ask Caldwell why, in the third round, he drafted Dawuane Smoot instead of Cooper Kupp? 

Another fine example of how drafting to fill a 'perceived need' blinds a team from taking an exceptionally more talented football player.

Kupp is bathed in the bright light of early NFL stardom. Smoot poses zero threat to the stability of the starting defensive end rotation as it was established prior to the 2017 NFL draft.

I don't see it as "perceived need."

My perception is, it was strictly a Tony Khan analytics/"moneyball" decision.

For better, or worse.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Yeah I could see that. Smoot was ultra productive pressure wise in the conference with the best Olines and looked like a potential 1st round pick in 2015. I could see the analytics guys loving him for the pressure stats.

Also think he covers you as he can moonlight at weakside and strong side.

I feel this is precisely what he was thinking. Keep in mind that just a year earlier Smoot was being talked about as one of the top few DEs in college. He didn't really start to see any real action until December, so next year could get interesting. Smoot just might be key to carrying on the Sacksonville nickname longterm. 

'02

This was my thought when he was selected. 

Still kind of wish we’d gone G or TE there.

(03-09-2018, 06:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Still kind of wish we’d gone G or TE there.

I wasn't going to say it in yet another thread, but yes Kittle instead of Smoot and we'd be in business.

Pat Elflein was available there too. He turned out alright for the Vikings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-09-2018, 06:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

This was my thought when he was selected. 

It just proves Caldwell picks B.A.P.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-10-2018, 01:23 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 06:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This was my thought when he was selected. 

It just proves Caldwell picks B.A.P.

No...it proves he took Smoot.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think smoot was drafted for depth in case Fowler didn't pan out, in today's game your dline needs depth or you risk gassing your starters late in the game when you need them most. You can never have enough trench players if you ask me.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(03-08-2018, 12:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah I could see that. Smoot was ultra productive pressure wise in the conference with the best Olines and looked like a potential 1st round pick in 2015. I could see the analytics guys loving him for the pressure stats.

Also think he covers you as he can moonlight at weakside and strong side.

Think the only pressure he generates is behind the scenes as analytics guys jockey the football people to get him more reps so the pressures can start stockpiling.

[Image: DYF0HYsUMAAMvyu.jpg]