Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hurns to be our number 1

(03-13-2018, 10:42 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 09:22 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Hurns can go. He was a URFA to begin with. His play sparkled against a back-drop of 3-13 awful. 

Hurns has faded away and needs to be jolted into renewing his game.

He's very replaceable.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The man was our best pass catcher as a rookie even when Lee & Robinson played (he earned the start opening day as a UDFA and caught 2 TD's on his first 2 nfl catches)  He had 1000 yards & 10 TD's while playing through a sports hernia the whole year. Last year after getting his ankle messed up, crawled off the field as to not get a 10 second runoff in a 2 minute situation. You can't teach that kind of grit, you don't cut or renegotiate salarys of players like that unless it would free up the space to land a Drew Brees etc.  

People like to think of the games where Cole, Westbrook and Mickens popped off (against Seattle without half of the LOB. Against Houston, the Niners & the Colts ... not exactly A-Tier Defenses/secondaries), but forget the games where they struggled (Arizona, and the last game against the Tacks) and we had no reliability in the passing game. Hurns can play all 3 positions X, Y & Z. Is tough as nails, willing to go over the middle, plays hurt, is a great locker room guy, and has existing chemistry with Bortles. He's the most veteran guy in the receivers room and is still young.

Also seeing the contract that Arob & Sammy Watkins got .... let alone the $8 million per year that Albert Wilson just got from leaving the Chiefs for Miami (this is a guy who's never topped 600 yards in a season mind you) the $7 million we'd be paying Hurns this year is a BARGAIN!!!!!! There's no reason to ask him to take a pay cut; if we cut him he'd leave in FA to another team and easily get a contract worth $10 million per, the way the market has unfolded so far.

I'm quite honestly amazed at this fanbase continually underrating Hurns and everything he's done in the league so far.

+1000, funny how people can overate ARob so much while underrating Hurns. But I do agree that Hurns has got to put up some numbers next year or he will be in trouble.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-13-2018, 01:55 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 10:42 AM)Firesky Wrote: I couldn't disagree with you more. The man was our best pass catcher as a rookie even when Lee & Robinson played (he earned the start opening day as a UDFA and caught 2 TD's on his first 2 nfl catches)  He had 1000 yards & 10 TD's while playing through a sports hernia the whole year. Last year after getting his ankle messed up, crawled off the field as to not get a 10 second runoff in a 2 minute situation. You can't teach that kind of grit, you don't cut or renegotiate salarys of players like that unless it would free up the space to land a Drew Brees etc.  

People like to think of the games where Cole, Westbrook and Mickens popped off (against Seattle without half of the LOB. Against Houston, the Niners & the Colts ... not exactly A-Tier Defenses/secondaries), but forget the games where they struggled (Arizona, and the last game against the Tacks) and we had no reliability in the passing game. Hurns can play all 3 positions X, Y & Z. Is tough as nails, willing to go over the middle, plays hurt, is a great locker room guy, and has existing chemistry with Bortles. He's the most veteran guy in the receivers room and is still young.

Also seeing the contract that Arob & Sammy Watkins got .... let alone the $8 million per year that Albert Wilson just got from leaving the Chiefs for Miami (this is a guy who's never topped 600 yards in a season mind you) the $7 million we'd be paying Hurns this year is a BARGAIN!!!!!! There's no reason to ask him to take a pay cut; if we cut him he'd leave in FA to another team and easily get a contract worth $10 million per, the way the market has unfolded so far.

I'm quite honestly amazed at this fanbase continually underrating Hurns and everything he's done in the league so far.

+1000, funny how people can overate ARob so much while underrating Hurns. But I do agree that Hurns has got to put up some numbers next year or he will be in trouble.

Hurns' drops in 2016 were nearly as bad as Lee's in 2017.  I love the guy - but he hasn't been Mr.Consistency. 

Hurns 2016:  6 drops on 35 receptions  
Lee 2017:   8 drops on 56 receptions

Combine that with the concussions and injuries, and its not that Hurns is underrated. People love the guy. 
He's just not expected to play up to the dollar figure of his contract.

(03-13-2018, 02:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 01:55 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: +1000, funny how people can overate ARob so much while underrating Hurns. But I do agree that Hurns has got to put up some numbers next year or he will be in trouble.

Hurns' drops in 2016 were nearly as bad as Lee's in 2017.  I love the guy - but he hasn't been Mr.Consistency. 

Hurns 2016:  6 drops on 35 receptions  
Lee 2017:   8 drops on 56 receptions

Combine that with the concussions and injuries, and its not that Hurns is underrated. People love the guy. 
He's just not expected to play up to the dollar figure of his contract.

Man... it sure felt like Lee had more than 8 drops all season.
Matter of fact, that was his drop number just 8-9 games into the season.

It's like the stat people said "he drops so much we're gonna stop counting" lol

He will probably get cut
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(03-13-2018, 10:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 09:31 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Reminds me of the 2005 Patriots when there was no true #1

David Givens 738 yds - 6' tall
Deion Branch 998 yards - 5"9" tall
Troy Brown 466 yards - 5'10" tall

Sort of, yeah. 
The guy behind center makes the comparison a bit lopsided though.

(03-13-2018, 10:46 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: My understanding is that this is a good draft for WRs and TEs. Is that correct?

Seems to be 5 or 6 TEs to choose from that should represent an upgrade to our roster. 

The receivers don't have a group of top tier studs like many draft classes - but there are again a half dozen or so that stand out if you are looking for a guy to fill A-Rob's former role. 

Caldwell's record with receivers leaves me worry free in that regard. Hopefully they hit on a TE too.

Not sure why the qb comparison is lopsided? Brady did not start in 2000, so 2005 would be year 5. Wouldn't that make him , and bortles basically the same?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Lots of respect for him for what he did in that Chargers game crawling off the field in serious pain.

But he isn't worth 7 mil with the receivers on the roster.

I hope for a restructure, but likely a cut.

(03-14-2018, 02:41 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Lots of respect for him for what he did in that Chargers game crawling off the field in serious pain.

We just paid Moncrief 7 million, and Marqise Lee 9.5 million... not to mention what lesser tier receivers are getting in the open market (Wilson $8 million to the phins) Hurns is worth every cent of that 7 million; if he were a free agent in this market i can almost guarantee he'd get a deal worth 10 million per.

He cut down on the drops from 2016, and didn't have a concussion all year. I don't get the gripe against Allen Hurns. He's a very good #2 WR when healthy (even playing hurt tbh).

There is 0 incentive for Hurns to restructure, personally he's the third highest paid receiver for this years cap with the most production/pedigree. I really don't get the disdain for this guy.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-14-2018, 06:34 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:41 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Lots of respect for him for what he did in that Chargers game crawling off the field in serious pain.

We just paid Moncrief 7 million, and Marqise Lee 9.5 million... not to mention what lesser tier receivers are getting in the open market (Wilson $8 million to the phins) Hurns is worth every cent of that 7 million; if he were a free agent in this market i can almost guarantee he'd get a deal worth 10 million per.

He cut down on the drops from 2016, and didn't have a concussion all year. I don't get the gripe against Allen Hurns. He's a very good #2 WR when healthy (even playing hurt tbh).

There is 0 incentive for Hurns to restructure, personally he's the third highest paid receiver for this years cap with the most production/pedigree. I really don't get the disdain for this guy.
Exactly. Everyone's an expert I guess.

I agree with you.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I've seen zero disdain for Hurns. 

I've seen lots of admiration for his grit and regret that he may not continue to play out his contract. 

The fact that his level of play dipped after he got paid coupled with the unfortunate injuries piling up is what is hurting his chances and likely causing the front office to value him less than you do.  I'm certain he's capable of meaningful contribution if he is lucky enough to avoid further concussions because is work ethic his unquestionable. He may not get that chance in Jacksonville. 

Sad but true.

Hurns might not make the final roster. After he got paid his play has been awful.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

This is all true.

The problem is that all the cap the Jags have spent this year has to come from somewhere. I think Hurns will be cut, and the Moncrief deal was the nail in the coffin. Personally, I'd rather have Hurns than Moncrief, but that's not the way it appears this will turn out.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

He's played only 21 games the last two years and hasn't surpassed 500 yard receiving. 

There are now 5 formidable receivers on the roster. Lee and Moncrief just got signed, so they're gonna get their time. Westbrook and Cole need playing time to develop. I think the writing is on the wall. I'd be happy to be wrong. Their is no disdain.

(03-14-2018, 06:59 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Hurns might not make the final roster.  After he got paid his play has been awful.

Did you watch the championship game when he was finally healthy?

I think there is no way Hurns is getting cut or restructuring this year based on FA. I see guys who don't even have 1k yards in their career getting 5-7 million from the Ravens. WR aren't cheap anymore.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.