Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't write off QBs too soon (Bortles)

This Headline says it all:

Stafford's star turn a reminder: Don't write off QBs too soon

Staffords early career is similar to Bortles 

Rookie year - 13 tds 20 ints 53% comp

2nd year he only played 3 games so you can skip that

3rd year looked to break out 41 tds 16 ins 

Next year drops off 20 tds 17 ints 

The next 4 years he has slowly gotten better, cutting down INTs the last 2 years those 4 years he has been great

Eli Manning is another one, his first 3 years was awful, way worst then Blake

All QBs are not gonna take off right away, and some are up and down like Blake seems

QB dont grow on trees, you have to stick it out when they have talent and have shown they can play in the NFL, Bortles is down right now but given up on him would be dumb and set the team back another 3 years, coach him up, he has the talent he just has to keep working hard

Its a big difference between a awful QB like Gabbert and Bortles a young struggling QB

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I really want this to be the case.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I'm not writing anybody off, but the bilge that I'm seeing now makes it awfully difficult to be optimistic.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Good point, I was just thinking about this, to be honest it's my only hope at this point. What concerns me about Blake isn't so much the decision making, as that gets better with more playing time, it's the god awful mechanics (particularly the throwing motion and footwork) that lead to his inaccuracy issues, I just don't know if you can "fix" a throwing motion that is ingrained in him

Accuracy is extremely concerning. As is decision making. That is not acceptable in year 3.

He can't throw!

Blake is in a bad situation here. Jax is a team that has been so bad for so long that the fans (including me) are desperate for whatever could get us to start winning games. Right now, one of the major reasons why we are not winning games is the quarterback play. Could Bortles improve in the future? Maybe. But I doubt it. His issues are fundamental and technique issues that will be very hard to relearn. These are issues that should have been taught to him early on as a kid but they weren't. He's gone several years now with his style and it is ingrained in him.

Quote:This Headline says it all:

Stafford's star turn a reminder: Don't write off QBs too soon

Staffords early career is similar to Bortles 

Rookie year - 13 tds 20 ints 53% comp

2nd year he only played 3 games so you can skip that

3rd year looked to break out 41 tds 16 ins 

Next year drops off 20 tds 17 ints 

The next 4 years he has slowly gotten better, cutting down INTs the last 2 years those 4 years he has been great

Eli Manning is another one, his first 3 years was awful, way worst then Blake

All QBs are not gonna take off right away, and some are up and down like Blake seems

QB dont grow on trees, you have to stick it out when they have talent and have shown they can play in the NFL, Bortles is down right now but given up on him would be dumb and set the team back another 3 years, coach him up, he has the talent he just has to keep working hard

Its a big difference between a awful QB like Gabbert and Bortles a young struggling QB
I'd like to think that, but all the other QBs you listed didn't have problems being natural throwers of the football.  Blake is not a good thrower of the football, and never has been.  That's a big problem and after 3 years I don't think it's fixable.

Quote:I really want this to be the case.

Agreed. I love Bortles, but he didn't improve in the short passing game, which is what he needed to do this past offseason. He's still wildly accurate, and makes the most routine NFL throws look difficult. Decision making I thought had improved, until he threw into triple coverage yesterday when the game was not out of reach. (IIRC, it was 3-0 when that happened)
No commercial messages in sigs

Wobble wobble, duck duck...

How many times yesterday did he throw the ball behind the receiver...it was a bunch.  Several almost leading to more interceptions.

Have you seen my baseball?

I agree. Eli was horrible his first 3 1/2 years. Ten it just clicked. I think the same will happe for Blake. We all understood it would take 3-4 to really develop him

Quote:I'd like to think that, but all the other QBs you listed didn't have problems being natural throwers of the football.  Blake is not a good thrower of the football, and never has been.  That's a big problem and after 3 years I don't think it's fixable.

My thoughts as well

Quote:Agreed. I love Bortles, but he didn't improve in the short passing game, which is what he needed to do this past offseason. He's still wildly accurate, and makes the most routine NFL throws look difficult. Decision making I thought had improved, until he threw into triple coverage yesterday when the game was not out of reach. (IIRC, it was 3-0 when that happened)

Absolutely... I like Bortles.. I really really want it to be bad coaching rather than regressed talent.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Stafford and Manning can functionally throw a football. No comparison to bortles.

Really you should compare bbint to Leftwich and tebow. And sadly Leftwich was a much better QB. Tebow is about even with Bortles in passing ability but at least he could win games.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

This Eli trash is what everyone was saying about Gabbert. Here we go. "Give him more time".

Quote:I'd like to think that, but all the other QBs you listed didn't have problems being natural throwers of the football.  Blake is not a good thrower of the football, and never has been.  That's a big problem and after 3 years I don't think it's fixable.
I think the same.

I hope we are wrong though and I'll happily say I was wrong if he turns it around.

You should give him four more seasons.

ImATexan

We also have to keep things in context with "today's" football. More and more players are coming out of college "pro" ready. This is readily seen in quarterbacks. Dak Prescott, Carson Wentz, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, Andrew Luck, etc... These quarterbacks aren't "project" QBs like Bortles is. We need to be looking at players that can come in and make a difference right away. Bortles is not it.

Hey, we were right about Gabby when we brought up these same arguments, right?

Quote:You should give him four more seasons.

I mean Osweiler is trash too but he is at least better than Bortles, I'll give you that.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!