Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't write off QBs too soon (Bortles)

Quote:I'm sure the same can be said about Head Coaches. Let's give Gus another 4 years just in case he breaks out
Gus has had enough time 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We have to tailor a offense to fit Bortles. Olsen hasn't done a good job of that this year. The offense looks like they want to settle for third downs everytime and then we can't covert so now we have the lowest 3rd down conversion percentage in the NFL. We need to get creative like Patriots offense or Steelers. 

Honestly, Stafford and Eli have never looked as bad as Blake has.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 02:07 PM by Caldrac.)

I think he's going to be given another chance in 2017. He's under contract. So there's no reason to write him off just yet. But he's going to have to step it up somehow this year. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Bradley, Olson and Wash are out after this season. Doesn't matter if it happens after the season is nearly over or this Friday after the game in tennessee. But I think in fairness another coaching staff will come in. They'll try to fix his mechanics and mental lapses but you can bet your [BAD WORD REMOVED] they'll be signing or drafting his potential replacement to get him further motivated.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Tweet from Sam Kouvaris (@samsportsline) - Gus: "I firmly, firmly believe in Blake Bortles." #Jaguars

https://twitter.com/samsportsline/status...6794293248
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

There are traits that should entice coaches and organizations to stick with a QB through a slow statistical start to his career. Stafford certainly has those traits in spades. Eli has some too, plus obvious name pedigree that shouldn't but does mean something. 

Bortles doesn't have any of those. 

Quote:There are traits that should entice coaches and organizations to stick with a QB through a slow statistical start to his career. Stafford certainly has those traits in spades. Eli has some too, plus obvious name pedigree that shouldn't but does mean something.

Bortles doesn't have any of those.

So no coaches will be willing to work with Bortles? Got it.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:So no coaches will be willing to work with Bortles? Got it.
That's a bit of a stretch, but I'd be willing to bet that any HC worth their salt is going to be highly dubious of BB's chance to succeed, at a minimum.

Quote:So no coaches will be willing to work with Bortles? Got it.
There are only 32 HC jobs on the planet, there will be interest. It most likely won't be the ones that are being pursued the most, it will be the Mularkey type that doesn't have any other options. 

This is of course dependent on how willing they think Dave is to bring in QB competition or a replacement. If they think our first rounder on a QB or possibly a big trade for Garoppolo or something is a possibility then perhaps. 

Quote:There are only 32 HC jobs on the planet, there will be interest. It most likely won't be the ones that are being pursued the most, it will be the Mularkey type that doesn't have any other options. 

This is of course dependent on how willing they think Dave is to bring in QB competition or a replacement. If they think our first rounder on a QB or possibly a big trade for Garoppolo or something is a possibility then perhaps. 

I think that's an incredibly lazy and negative assumption.  

You have no idea who Dave and Khan will or won't lure -  and you have no idea how much influence over personnel decisions those candidates will be offered. 

Quote:I think that's an incredibly lazy and negative assumption.  

You have no idea who Dave and Khan will or won't lure -  and you have no idea how much influence over personnel decisions those candidates will be offered. 
We heard all the rumors in the preseason from the insiders telling us that the coaches and front offices around the league weren't nearly as enamored with Blake's 2015 as the media and fans were. Blake's bottom 5 play has surely only turned those from rumors into roars. 

A hot HC candidate isn't going to come here if he thinks he's going to be handcuffed with Blake and only meager competition, it's not that difficult to me. Especially since two of the hottest names are going to be guys who will be on their 2nd tries. If they fail again it's lights out. 

You're free to think otherwise, of course.

Quote:We heard all the rumors in the preseason from the insiders telling us that the coaches and front offices around the league weren't nearly as enamored with Blake's 2015 as the media and fans were. Blake's bottom 5 play has surely only turned those from rumors into roars. 

A hot HC candidate isn't going to come here if he thinks he's going to be handcuffed with Blake and only meager competition, it's not that difficult to me. Especially since two of the hottest names are going to be guys who will be on their 2nd tries. If they fail again it's lights out. 

You're free to think otherwise, of course.

Of course many coaches won't want to come if they think they'll be handcuffed.  That's obvious. 

It's your assumption that Caldwell wouldn't give them the freedom to be involved in placing the QB they desire that I don't understand. 

You have no idea whether Caldwell would handcuff anyone to Bortles, yet you are going on like it's a done deal. 

I don't think Dave is that dumb.  If he wants the best coach - he's not going to limit his options by saying "you have to start Blake if you take this job." 

Quote:I'd like to think that, but all the other QBs you listed didn't have problems being natural throwers of the football. Blake is not a good thrower of the football, and never has been. That's a big problem and after 3 years I don't think it's fixable.

Quote:Ok clown, feel free to point out where I was wrong?
Pretty much from beginning to end.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 03:53 PM by atburg.)

Quote:Ok clown, feel free to point out where I was wrong?
Pretty much from beginning to end.
Quote:Both are inaccurate and have long wind-up deliveries. Only difference is Tebow knew how to win games whereas all blake does is lose.
Tebow made ONE freaking throw!! ONE!!!

And to save you the trouble, this is in no way defending BBottles.He needs to remove head from backside quick!

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 03:37 PM by Kcirred.)

Bortles has talent, he led a scrub UCF team to a bowl win and they've been terrible ever since he left, but he comes off as lazy to me, and the coaches just let it be. There should be no reason why his mechanics are worse than they were his rookie year. He really fooled Caldwell and many scouts with his "competitve" mindset, like competing in every drill at the combine for example.

Quote:Bortles has talent, he led a scrub UCF team to a bowl win and they've been terrible ever since he left, but he comes off as lazy to me, and the coaches just let it be. There should be no reason why his mechanics are worse than they were his rookie year. He really fooled Caldwell and many scouts with his "competitve" mindset, like competing in every drill at the combine for example.
And what he did in college matters..........

It doesn't.

Quote:And what he did in college matters..........

It doesn't.

What he did in college factored into him getting drafted 3rd overall.

Quote:What he did in college factored into him getting drafted 3rd overall.

His draft position also does not matter.

Sure, but they had more to work with in Stafford.  Stafford came out of college with an NFL-ready arm.......nobody was needed to teach him how to throw a football, he just needed to learn decision-making, etc.  Bortles we drafted knowing his mechanics were off, but has all of the other physical/mental traits and we were gonna teach him mechanics.  Having said that, as I said elsewhere, I want to see Blake with a competent coaching staff, and a reasonably decent OL and running game before I write him off.