Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I'm a little worried about our cap.

(03-14-2018, 10:20 AM)rfc17 Wrote: This is starting to look like what happened to us after 98/99 when the cap nearly killed us.  And we wont have the luxury of expansion Texans saving our backside again.  I understand spending big money for one elite player like Norwell.  But if you do that, I would have expected the rest of the deals would be small vet minimum types to plug holes.  This big spending on average players is really head scratching.  Hopefully we have a salary cap wizard who can manage this.

We do have a non-coughlin that is a cap wizard.  I don't have any worries at this point.  I think we could move forward really well with growth on offense.  After the decade of crap we had, I'm not going to hand wring through FA period and the draft.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-14-2018, 10:14 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: So far, besides signing Norwell, this FA has been mediocre at the high end and awful at the low end (cough, Hayden, cough),

So besides landing the #2 overall free agent...

I feel a little better after reading these comments.

(03-14-2018, 12:05 PM)JNev Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 10:14 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: So far, besides signing Norwell, this FA has been mediocre at the high end and awful at the low end (cough, Hayden, cough),

So besides landing the #2 overall free agent...

Which is a completely warranted post because without Norwell this FA is an F grade easily, considering the past couple of years. Sorry you can't see that, but it's true, it's damn true. 

This FA period is mind boggling.

(03-14-2018, 10:25 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 10:20 AM)rfc17 Wrote: This is starting to look like what happened to us after 98/99 when the cap nearly killed us.  And we wont have the luxury of expansion Texans saving our backside again.  I understand spending big money for one elite player like Norwell.  But if you do that, I would have expected the rest of the deals would be small vet minimum types to plug holes.  This big spending on average players is really head scratching.  Hopefully we have a salary cap wizard who can manage this.

We do have a non-coughlin that is a cap wizard.  I don't have any worries at this point.  I think we could move forward really well with growth on offense.  After the decade of crap we had, I'm not going to hand wring through FA period and the draft.

I'm with you here, but Coughlin is that guy's boss, so...

... still keeping my fingers crossed the old guy isn't drunk on power again and doing his best Prince impersonation down at the stadium offices. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblt2EtFfC4

(03-14-2018, 01:25 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 12:05 PM)JNev Wrote: So besides landing the #2 overall free agent...

Which is a completely warranted post because without Norwell this FA is an F grade easily, considering the past couple of years. Sorry you can't see that, but it's true, it's damn true. 

Thats like saying as a child I'm mad about my Christmas gifts because all I got was a pony and a bunch of expensive Swiss chocolate I dont like. I still got a freaking pony

(03-14-2018, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 10:25 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: We do have a non-coughlin that is a cap wizard.  I don't have any worries at this point.  I think we could move forward really well with growth on offense.  After the decade of crap we had, I'm not going to hand wring through FA period and the draft.

I'm with you here, but Coughlin is that guy's boss, so...

... still keeping my fingers crossed the old guy isn't drunk on power again and doing his best Prince impersonation down at the stadium offices. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblt2EtFfC4

+1. You're going to get me in trouble at work!
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-14-2018, 06:22 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:24 AM)Dakota Wrote: Marcedes Lewis says hi.

If you think marcedes Lewis is a decent tight end right now then we all as a fanbase are at a pathetic place because he is below-average as they come and you know it. We need a legit tight end in the passing game and marcedes Lewis because of age can no longer do that for this team.

Yet you are jocking a QB who couldn't muster up 75 passing yards in his first playoff game.

Now, who's pathetic?
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

LOL we don't need LB. Expert takes here from geniuses.

(03-14-2018, 01:46 PM)JNev Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:25 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Which is a completely warranted post because without Norwell this FA is an F grade easily, considering the past couple of years. Sorry you can't see that, but it's true, it's damn true. 

Thats like saying as a child I'm mad about my Christmas gifts because all I got was a pony and a bunch of expensive Swiss chocolate I dont like. I still got a freaking pony

Cool man, I'll wait until the day that you can elaborate on how you getting wasted gifts at Christmas (which mean jack [BLEEP] to you in the future of course) compare to the Jaguars getting wasted gifts that impact the future. 

I'd say nice try, but that was completely lazy (mod edit) at best.

(03-14-2018, 03:21 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: LOL we don't need LB. Expert takes here from geniuses.

I don't believe it's terribly high on the list of needs, but it's a need. 

If Myles Jack is the full time MLB now and Telvin is your starting WLB, who is your SLB in 2018? 
Are you content with your depth of Blair Brown and Donald Payne, or can they be upgraded?

(03-14-2018, 01:25 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 12:05 PM)JNev Wrote: So besides landing the #2 overall free agent...

Certainly looks puzzling without the Norwell signing. I'll go with an overall C right now. 

Norwell- A: Perfect signing for this team
Lee- C+: Lee got the value he deserved, I just am in the boat that I don't think the Jags needed to sign him. Not bad though TBH. 
Moncrief- C: Fills a need, but again didn't think the Jags needed to sign this guy for 7M. John Brown got less on a one year deal and has done much more. McCardell will get the most out of him. 
Hayden- Caldwell/Coughlin drunk??? F: WAYYYY better corners are getting paid less money. EVEN if he does perform well, that doesn't justify the contract given at this point in time because he has been a complete disaster in the NFL.

I feel like every FA signing after Norwell is a panic move, from having lost Robison and Colvin. We're just signing "guys" now.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM by Tyler1Reformed.)

(03-14-2018, 03:41 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:25 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Which is a completely warranted post because without Norwell this FA is an F grade easily, considering the past couple of years. Sorry you can't see that, but it's true, it's damn true. 

Certainly looks puzzling without the Norwell signing. I'll go with an overall C right now. 

Lee- C+: Lee got the value he deserved, I just am in the boat that I don't think the Jags needed to sign him. Not bad though TBH. 
Moncrief- C: Fills a need, but again didn't think the Jags needed to sign this guy for 7M. John Brown got less on a one year deal and has done much more. McCardell will get the most out of him. 
Hayden- Caldwell/Coughlin drunk??? F: WAYYYY better corners are getting paid less money. EVEN if he does perform well, that doesn't justify the contract given at this point in time because he has been a complete disaster in the NFL.

Exactly. Obviously everyone loves the Nowell signing, absolutely shocking and 100% approved. 
Lee - Ehh - he was the standout at times and the disappointment at times. Wasn't surprised he was resigned when Robinson walked (which I fully expected, even before this year, he demonstrated he didnt want to be here, he's a moron)
Moncrief - What? Dude's injured period so it better be looked at as a low risk high reward if he actually makes it on the field. 
Hayden - What? I'm not even gonna get into this because it's only going to make me pissed off. 

Completely sub par offseason compared to the last couple years, honestly makes you wonder what's going on at this point. It's like they didnt expect to lose a few pieces and had no idea what to do and just scrambled when they should have known Robinson and Colvin were out the door already.

(03-14-2018, 03:43 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: I feel like every FA signing after Norwell is a panic move,  from having lost Robison and Colvin. We're just signing "guys" now.

Jesus christ, I didn't even read your reply before I posted mine and it goes hand in hand what I was saying. 

100% agreed for sure.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM by Kane.)

(03-14-2018, 03:41 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

Hayden allowed 0 TDs on 273 snaps

He isn't awful. And his guarantee money is half of what Colvin was paid.
Outside of the Honey Badger, I'm not sure there was much out there in free agency.
Where are all the "better corners getting paid less money"?

Also... I wonder how many years people thought we'd be breaking the bank on free agents......

we got guys coming up next season or two needing to be resigned and our roster is very talented.
Amazing how some people are never satisfied.

We're lucky they went big on Norwell. The loss of AR15 isn't nearly as bad as some chicken little's would believe.

The only signing I wasn't a fan of was Lee. But I suppose he played fairly well down the stretch as most of his counted drops were midseason.

Details on the contracts are starting to come out. I been saying 2018 is going to be our best chance to win since we will have everyone still here together and it is starting to look more and more so. There is going to much more cuts in 2019 than I thought so seeing that the Norwell and Hayden deals were backloaded, haven't even seen the others yet. Jags already -12M in the red for 2019. Going to be a real different team then, might have to cut ~3 big contract guys if they aren't restructured. Completely shocked they backloaded these deals.

(03-15-2018, 03:50 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Details on the contracts are starting to come out. I been saying 2018 is going to be our best chance to win since we will have everyone still here together and it is starting to look more and more so. There is going to much more cuts in 2019 than I thought so seeing that the Norwell and Hayden deals were backloaded, haven't even seen the others yet. Jags already -12M in the red for 2019. Going to be a real different team then, might have to cut ~3 big contract guys if they aren't restructured. Completely shocked they backloaded these deals.

I don't think that accounts for an inevitable rise in the cap or any carry over (which we may or may not have thanks to the low hits this year). I think one of the DTs goes after next season, but that's not the biggest deal really. Malik or Dareus getting cut saves us $15M on it's own. The sky is NOT falling, I repeat, the sky is NOT falling

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018, 05:07 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

You can't really back load deals. You either front load them or spread the guarantee out over the life of the contract with a larger signing bonus. Norwell got a $15 million dollar signing bonus which works out to $3 million per year for the 5 years. His base salary for 2018 is $2 million and for 2019 it's $13 million. The signing bonus and his first two years of base salary equal the $30 million guaranteed in the deal. If he's trash or suffers significant injury, the Jags don't owe him anything after 2018 and can cut him although they still have to account for the remaining $9 million in signing bonus for the last 3 years as far as the cap number is concerned. There's really nothing shocking about the way this deal was structured.

(03-15-2018, 03:50 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Details on the contracts are starting to come out. I been saying 2018 is going to be our best chance to win since we will have everyone still here together and it is starting to look more and more so. There is going to much more cuts in 2019 than I thought so seeing that the Norwell and Hayden deals were backloaded, haven't even seen the others yet. Jags already -12M in the red for 2019. Going to be a real different team then, might have to cut ~3 big contract guys if they aren't restructured. Completely shocked they backloaded these deals.

In regards to 2019
Hurns and Dareus alone free up ~19 million
Gipson and Parnell is another ~13 million

Restructuring will also need to be done similar to what the Eagles are doing this year

The backloading will catch up though and when you add restructures to that, it can snow ball quickly into a bad situation.
Gotta trust the cap people I guess.

(03-15-2018, 11:18 AM)Kane Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 03:41 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Certainly looks puzzling without the Norwell signing. I'll go with an overall C right now. 

Hayden allowed 0 TDs on 273 snaps

He isn't awful. And his guarantee money is half of what Colvin was paid.
Outside of the Honey Badger, I'm not sure there was much out there in free agency.
Where are all the "better corners getting paid less money"?

Also... I wonder how many years people thought we'd be breaking the bank on free agents......

we got guys coming up next season or two needing to be resigned and our roster is very talented.
Amazing how some people are never satisfied.

We're lucky they went big on Norwell. The loss of AR15 isn't nearly as bad as some chicken little's would believe.

The only signing I wasn't a fan of was Lee. But I suppose he played fairly well down the stretch as most of his counted drops were midseason.
DJ Hayden- Proven absolutely nothing in the NFL- Graded #96 CB by PFF - gets 3yr-19M-9.5MG

Shouldn't have said less... let's go with better options in reasonable range? 

TJ Carrie- got 10M in guarantees for 4 years @ 30M- best CB on OAK last year- #21 CB by PFF
Pat Robinson- 4 yr-20M- 10MG- best slot CB in NFL last season- #6 CB by PFF
Traimaine Brock- 1y-4m- comes with baggage but proven to be a good player
Breeland- 3-24-11MG- 4 yr starter
Robey-Coleman-3-15- really got slot CB

These were guys signed who in terms of money guaranteed and price that are much better options than Hayden. There are some solid options still out there too... Gaines, McCourty, Melvin, Dennard, Cockrell, DRC..

I got no issue signing Hayden if he is given market value. They panicked ... pure and simple. He may very well play solid enough that we say he is "worth" that money, but that would just be flat out terrible business from the Jags stand point. That'd be like someone selling you a car that you know is worth a 100K and is on sale for 10K, but you're like nah man... i'ma give you the 100K anyways.