Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Austin Seferian Jenkins plans to visit the Jags

(03-14-2018, 01:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: If we manage to land him it makes the draft *very* interesting.

It would certainly make it seem like a QB in the first is possible. Even without that, we could just take the talent as it falls. Although we still need more OL.

I'm thinking more and more that this may be a possibility as they continue to be active in free agency. Seems like they may be ramping up for a very specific draft strategy like going QB early  -maybe even in a trade up.

Ninja what if they mortgaged the farm to move up and take Barkley thus forming the ultimate two-headed-monster rushing attack?

Seriously though, I think they must be setting themselves up for a strategy of some kind in the draft - even if it is simply to go BAP. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-14-2018, 01:23 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:18 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Where is the money coming from?

Exactly... this team looked like it was heading towards some smart decisions and possibly keeping from having to worry about signing people like Ramsey/Yannick once it came time to... this team will be depleted in 3-4 years. It's pretty scary considering how long we went without a competitive team but hopefully the next 3-4 years are some of the best years we've ever seen out of this team and possibly any team in the NFL period for a decent period of time.

"Depleted" as we are forced to cut a few of 31 year old Malik Jackson, 31 year old Marcel Dareus, 33 year old Barry Church, 30 year old Tashaun Gipson, 34 year old Calais Campbell, and Blake Bortles before the 2020 season... However will we replace those guys! We'll have 3 drafts and free agency periods to replace them

(03-14-2018, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: If we manage to land him it makes the draft *very* interesting.

It would certainly make it seem like a QB in the first is possible. Even without that, we could just take the talent as it falls. Although we still need more OL.

I'm thinking more and more that this may be a possibility as they continue to be active in free agency. Seems like they may be ramping up for a very specific draft strategy like going QB early  -maybe even in a trade up.

Ninja what if they mortgaged the farm to move up and take Barkley thus forming the ultimate two-headed-monster rushing attack?

Seriously though, I think they must be setting themselves up for a strategy of some kind in the draft - even if it is simply to go BAP. 

I tend to agree. If they sign a TE, they have categorically filled every need. They can then proceed to go into the draft with the BAP strategy or they can trade up and begin targeting specific players.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018, 01:47 PM by Kcirred.)

Filling all their needs in free agency. I'm thinking they're going to trade up for quarterback, probably Mayfield.

(03-14-2018, 01:47 PM)Kcirred Wrote: Filling all their needs in free agency.  I'm thinking they're going to trade up for quarterback, probably Mayfield.

That thought crossed my mind too

(03-14-2018, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

It certainly appears that way right? Seems like they want all of their starting spots filled before the draft so they can not worry about using picks to move up.  Or so they can just take their favourite player each round. 

I think they are trying to balance maximising this window AND allowing us to prosper years from now.

(03-14-2018, 01:49 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm thinking more and more that this may be a possibility as they continue to be active in free agency. Seems like they may be ramping up for a very specific draft strategy like going QB early  -maybe even in a trade up.

It certainly appears that way right? Seems like they want all of their starting spots filled before the draft so they can not worry about using picks to move up.  Or so they can just take their favourite player each round. 

I think they are trying to balance maximising this window AND allowing us to prosper years from now.

You mean they aren't mutually exclusive??

Cool

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018, 01:56 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-14-2018, 01:23 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:18 PM)ColoJag Wrote: Where is the money coming from?

Exactly... this team looked like it was heading towards some smart decisions and possibly keeping from having to worry about signing people like Ramsey/Yannick once it came time to... this team will be depleted in 3-4 years. It's pretty scary considering how long we went without a competitive team but hopefully the next 3-4 years are some of the best years we've ever seen out of this team and possibly any team in the NFL period for a decent period of time.

You are looking at Contracts like a straight lined amortization schedule.  Contracts are structured differently and the Jags Front Office is fully aware of the complexities of retaining our key defensive players so there's not doubt in my mind that we will have easy out-clauses (with very little financial commitments) worded into the contract if we decide to release players after this season or the season after.

(03-14-2018, 01:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: It certainly appears that way right? Seems like they want all of their starting spots filled before the draft so they can not worry about using picks to move up.  Or so they can just take their favourite player each round. 

You mean they aren't mutually exclusive??

Cool

GDI the front office may have cracked the code!

(03-14-2018, 01:47 PM)Kcirred Wrote: Filling all their needs in free agency.  I'm thinking they're going to trade up for quarterback, probably Mayfield.

How? They don't have the draft capital to get into the top14?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-14-2018, 02:23 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

Future picks?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-14-2018, 01:40 PM)JNev Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 01:23 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Exactly... this team looked like it was heading towards some smart decisions and possibly keeping from having to worry about signing people like Ramsey/Yannick once it came time to... this team will be depleted in 3-4 years. It's pretty scary considering how long we went without a competitive team but hopefully the next 3-4 years are some of the best years we've ever seen out of this team and possibly any team in the NFL period for a decent period of time.

"Depleted" as we are forced to cut a few of 31 year old Malik Jackson, 31 year old Marcel Dareus, 33 year old Barry Church, 30 year old Tashaun Gipson, 34 year old Calais Campbell, and Blake Bortles before the 2020 season... However will we replace those guys! We'll have 3 drafts and free agency periods to replace them
You added a year to almost everyone's age.

Not a fan of ASJ’s work ethic, but if any team should be able to “light that fire,” it’d be us. Doug and Tom wouldn’t put up with his nonsense. Still kinda hope they pass on him, but I have faith the FO will do what they think is best for the team. The guy’s talented.

(03-14-2018, 02:23 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

How don't they have the draft capital?  Might cost a future 1st, maybe not.  Personally I think Mayfield falls further than people think he will.  Just a thought, this team has very few holes right now.  Its really only QB and TE.

(03-14-2018, 02:38 PM)Kcirred Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:23 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: How? They don't have the draft capital to get into the top14?

How don't they have the draft capital?  Might cost a future 1st, maybe not.  Personally I think Mayfield falls further than people think he will.  Just a thought, this team has very few holes right now.  Its really only QB and TE.

Chiefs moved up from #27 last year to #10 for that years 1st and 3rd round picks, and a 1st the following year.

(03-14-2018, 02:43 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:38 PM)Kcirred Wrote: How don't they have the draft capital?  Might cost a future 1st, maybe not.  Personally I think Mayfield falls further than people think he will.  Just a thought, this team has very few holes right now.  Its really only QB and TE.

Chiefs moved up from #27 last year to #10 for that years 1st and 3rd round picks, and a 1st the following year.

And they got their preferred QB who sat for a year. 

That's a really good example of what the Jags may indeed be planning to do.

(03-14-2018, 02:43 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:38 PM)Kcirred Wrote: How don't they have the draft capital?  Might cost a future 1st, maybe not.  Personally I think Mayfield falls further than people think he will.  Just a thought, this team has very few holes right now.  Its really only QB and TE.

I'd 100% do that for Mayield but Him, Rosen, and Darnold are likely all going top 6.

After seeing how much money we are throwing around for some average talent I would think every free agent in football would pick up the phone if they see a 904 area code

can we offer him hayden's contract instead?
[Image: harley-quinn-bubble-gum.gif]

(03-14-2018, 02:52 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 02:43 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Chiefs moved up from #27 last year to #10 for that years 1st and 3rd round picks, and a 1st the following year.

I'd 100% do that for Mayield but Him, Rosen, and Darnold are likely all going top 6.

that's a good bet. But hopefully the new Giants coach was serious about sticking with Eli. They don't take one and one may fall all the way to 15.