Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TE Luke Willson visiting Friday

I really don't think Luke Willson and his whopping career of 1.2 catches for 15.7 yards a game is or was ever affecting our first round pick. If they love a TE at 29 they'd pick him regardless of Willson, and if they were planning on trading up for a QB they would do that too regardless of Willson.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2018, 02:16 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Willson was never a guy I was enthused about anyway. Once we signed ASJ, we got our TE.

(03-18-2018, 02:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Willson was never a guy I was enthused about anyway. Once we signed ASJ, we got our TE.

I just have this hunch that Hurst falls into our laps at the end of round two. I see Goedert going mid-to-late round one, although he's top on my list if he's actually there at #29. Then around the tail end of round one, I can see someone... maybe the Saints... enamored with Gesicki's combine and taking him.

As we move into round two it appears that teams all have specific needs outside of TE in the first half, but maybe in that mid-second we'll see Andrews go. I love Andrews and think he'll be a great TE, but I see him slipping a bit deep in round two with his medical red flag... a red flag that gets a little redder an bigger when you consider the thought of him trying to play in Florida's humidity.

Then I see Hurst falling right into the Jaguars laps. I realize Mayock has him first on his list, but his college stats didn't really stand out and I suspect GMs aren't going to bite on him early. For the Jaguars, he's truly a perfect fit with everything we're looking for including that passion to play in Duval.

'02

(03-18-2018, 01:51 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 09:25 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: He's off now to visit the Lions.  Didn't work out in Jax I guess. I wonder if they agreed to host him,  despite knowing that the TE position was full after signing ASJ,  minus a TE or 2 that they were going to draft.  Anyways,  I am more excited about getting a TE in the draft.

With Luke likely moving on I'm now back to thinking Hayden Hurst with the late round two pick.

As for why I liked Luke over ASJ, it was mainly because he's been healthier and shown more consistency year in and year out. 

Consistency?

You mean like not catching more than 17 passes in a season the last 3 years?

Once ASJ was signed, bringing in another vet TE was really not needed, unless he was willing to sign very cheaply. Obviously, he wasn't willing.

Having ASJ under contract for the next 2 seasons gives the Jags the reason to not draft a TE in the first couple of rounds this year. There are more important positions of upgrade (or backup) opportunity now than TE. QB, ROG, ROT, RB, CB, and LB are just a few in my mind.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-18-2018, 09:40 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Once ASJ was signed, bringing in another vet TE was really not needed, unless he was willing to sign very cheaply.  Obviously, he wasn't willing.  

Having ASJ under contract for the next 2 seasons gives the Jags the reason to not draft a TE in the first couple of rounds this year.  There are more important positions of upgrade (or backup) opportunity now than TE.   QB, ROG, ROT, RB, CB, and LB are just a few in my mind.

Why is ROT being brought up now? I recall mentioning Parnell as a possibilty to upgrade soon after the season, and I got slammed with not realizing how he hardly allowed any pressure and was one of the best, etc. It was made clear to me at the time that I must have been a bonehead for even thinking as much.

Also, we may be set at RB considering we seem to be keeping more players at other positions like WR, TE and possibly a third QB.

'02

(03-19-2018, 12:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Why is ROT being brought up now? I recall mentioning Parnell as a possibilty to upgrade soon after the season, and I got slammed with not realizing how he hardly allowed any pressure and was one of the best, etc. It was made clear to me at the time that I must have been a bonehead for even thinking as much.

Also, we may be set at RB considering we seem to be keeping more players at other positions like WR, TE and possibly a third QB.

In my mind, Parnell is just OK.  I expect a guy his size to be more dominant in the running game, which is why I think he could be upgraded.  However, I think the team can play with him for another year...he's not a liability, just upgradeable.

At RB, Yeldon and Grant are more situational backs; I am not sold that the Ivory rotational "take a breather 4net" back is on the roster.

(03-19-2018, 12:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 09:40 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Once ASJ was signed, bringing in another vet TE was really not needed, unless he was willing to sign very cheaply.  Obviously, he wasn't willing.  

Having ASJ under contract for the next 2 seasons gives the Jags the reason to not draft a TE in the first couple of rounds this year.  There are more important positions of upgrade (or backup) opportunity now than TE.   QB, ROG, ROT, RB, CB, and LB are just a few in my mind.

Why is ROT being brought up now? I recall mentioning Parnell as a possibilty to upgrade soon after the season, and I got slammed with not realizing how he hardly allowed any pressure and was one of the best, etc. It was made clear to me at the time that I must have been a bonehead for even thinking as much.

Parnell needs a replacement due to his age not production.  Back when you brought up the topic, pre Bortles re-signing/Free Agency, TE/QB/OG/WR/NCB were all seen as bigger issues and some of those could still be seen as more of a need than ROT.  Those who "slammed" you felt that Parnell could easily still hold down the ROT spot for the next 2 years if needed but Cann/Omameh, Poz, Colvin, AR15 would need upgrades/replacements.

As it stands now I still would take:  RG/QB/WR over a RT and might even take the MLB over RT.   The ASJ signing and his age make TE  take a back seat.