Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars need to be better with reinserting Starters, It cost us last year...

I'm referring to the Cole/Westbrook situation. The two guys were doing excellent to close the season when Hurns and Lee went down. Then for whatever reason, their playing time was cut beginning I believe the 49er game. In the playoffs Lee and Hurns got most of the snaps, Cole was completely absent.

I think back to the year MJD was holding out and Jennings was on fire all training camp and then preseason. He was ready to have a big year. What happened? First regular season game MJD was reinserted and it crushed Jennings confidence! They tried to give him relief snaps for MJD but he never ran the same and was cut or traded.

Athletes depend on their confidence a lot. Anyone who has participated in sports know what I'm referring too. Plus it throws off the moral in the locker room (though many won't admit it) when a guy has been putting in the work, earned playing time, and then the starting position is just handed back to the expected Starter. I could feel the energy the team gave off in the MJD/Jennings situation. Some guys in that locker room weren't happy at all how that was handled.

Last snap of the NE playoff game was a pass attempt to Westbrook who mentally wasn't there because the coaching staff chose to reinsert Lee and Hurns for the playoffs.

Just a area I think the coaching staff needs to pay more attention too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Westbrook had to deal with a pass interference on that last play , just saying

So we lost in the AFCCG because our rookie WRs were butthurt that they got fewer snaps in the post-season when Hurns was healthy again?

(03-16-2018, 10:35 AM)scottyg Wrote: So we lost in the AFCCG because our rookie WRs were butthurt that they got fewer snaps in the post-season when Hurns was healthy again?

No, but the OP has a point, specifically with how well Keelan Cole was playing at the end of the year. They inexplicably went away from him in the playoffs, despite his big play ability and his knack for making tough catches. He should've been a 7-10 target/game receiver but instead was only thrown at 1-2 times/game, that simply can't happen. I think that's the over-arching point of the original post

Jennings was never ready to have a big year. We hyped that dude up for no reason.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM by Firesky.)

(03-16-2018, 10:39 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 10:35 AM)scottyg Wrote: So we lost in the AFCCG because our rookie WRs were butthurt that they got fewer snaps in the post-season when Hurns was healthy again?

No, but the OP has a point, specifically with how well Keelan Cole was playing at the end of the year. They inexplicably went away from him in the playoffs, despite his big play ability and his knack for making tough catches. He should've been a 7-10 target/game receiver but instead was only thrown at 1-2 times/game, that simply can't happen. I think that's the over-arching point of the original post

I'm sorry ... Did Cole not catch a 40+ yard bomb down inside the 5 yardline to set up the game winning score in the Divisional round against Pittsburgh? He was very involved. But I think opposing teams started to recognize he was the big play threat and starting with week 17 began scheming to limit his explosive plays.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM by jagforlife85.)

(03-16-2018, 11:11 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 10:39 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote: No, but the OP has a point, specifically with how well Keelan Cole was playing at the end of the year. They inexplicably went away from him in the playoffs, despite his big play ability and his knack for making tough catches. He should've been a 7-10 target/game receiver but instead was only thrown at 1-2 times/game, that simply can't happen. I think that's the over-arching point of the original post

I'm sorry ... Did Cole not catch a 40+ yard bomb down inside the 5 yardline to set up the game winning score in the Divisional round against Pittsburgh? He was very involved. But I think opposing teams started to recognize he was the big play threat and starting with week 17 began scheming to limit his explosive plays.

Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, I don't think he was targeted in the Buffalo game and was only targeted a couple times against NE, despite making an insane sideline catch early in that game.

https://twitter.com/JSoJ_/status/9563010...id%3D27209

(03-16-2018, 11:24 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 11:11 AM)Firesky Wrote: I'm sorry ... Did Cole not catch a 40+ yard bomb down inside the 5 yardline to set up the game winning score in the Divisional round against Pittsburgh? He was very involved. But I think opposing teams started to recognize he was the big play threat and starting with week 17 began scheming to limit his explosive plays.

Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, 

For that now somewhat famous gif, track #30 on the Defense. where do you think he is at the time the pass is thrown?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(03-16-2018, 11:27 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 11:24 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote: Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, 

For that now somewhat famous gif, track #30 on the Defense. where do you think he is at the time the pass is thrown?

It looks like he would've been in the middle of the field, with a chance to defend the pass to Cole if it was thrown his way. My point isn't so much about Blake's decision to not throw the ball to Cole here, it's more about Cole's ability to quickly get open against one of the better CB's in football, creating yards of separation in the process. My assumption is if I were to watch the All-22, this wouldn't be an isolated event with Keelan Cole, he's shown the ability to get open and make tough catches in contested situations. He should've been fed more, especially against the Patriots who ran a ton of man to man concepts. Im of the opinion that he was better than any of the receivers on this roster last year.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 11:55 AM by Bullseye.)

(03-16-2018, 11:27 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 11:24 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote: Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, 

Pre-snap, it appears to be a 2 deep look, but you can't really tell because of the narrow view.  Assuming the defense remained consistent with the pre-snap look of a 2 deep (a HUGE freaking assumption), I would think #30 would have to be responsible for the deep half of the field going to his left (or the viewer's left).

Assuming his responsibility shifts based upon the development of the play and he takes Cole, I don't think his position would be enough to prevent a completion, assuming a well thrown pass.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Lee didn't play in weeks 15,16 and 17. During that stretch Westbrook had some ugly moments where he looked like a rookie. Add in the fact that Lee looked like an absolute stud in week 14 vs the seahawks and it was wise to re-insert him.
Cole still got looks in the playoffs. Just not as many as he did when Lee was out.

Dede got plenty of looks in the wildcard game (8 targets) but didn't produce. Some of that was on Blake.

Did they target Westbrook and Cole a bit less in the divisional and conference games with Hurns and Lee back? Yes - but Cole still got looks and had some catches - and Westbrook had been looking like he was in a bit of a "rookie wall" situation. He wasn't really earning targets at that point. It's possible Blake and/or Hackett lost some trust there.

I don't see any problem with how it was handled. Targeting vets over rookies a bit more in the playoffs actually makes a lot of sense.

The real issues in the conference game were more about the run game and the way the coaches switched their usage of it in the second half.

(03-16-2018, 11:11 AM)Firesky Wrote: I'm sorry ... Did Cole not catch a 40+ yard bomb down inside the 5 yardline to set up the game winning score in the Divisional round against Pittsburgh? He was very involved. But I think opposing teams started to recognize he was the big play threat and starting with week 17 began scheming to limit his explosive plays.

Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, I don't think he was targeted in the Buffalo game and was only targeted a couple times against NE, despite making an insane sideline catch early in that game.

Dude.  

That's on the QB. He looked right at Cole and then threw to Lee.

I'm not sure anyone was targeted in the Buffalo game... At least not successfully.

(03-16-2018, 01:07 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 11:24 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote: Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, I don't think he was targeted in the Buffalo game and was only targeted a couple times against NE, despite making an insane sideline catch early in that game.

I'm not sure anyone was targeted in the Buffalo game... At least not successfully.
Westbrook was targeted 8 times.

(03-16-2018, 10:51 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jennings was never ready to have a big year. We hyped that dude up for no reason.

Naw, he was straight ballin in the preseason, BEASTIN.

(03-16-2018, 12:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee didn't play in seeks 15,16 and 17.  During that stretch Westbrook had some ugly moments where he looked like a rookie. Add in the fact that Lee looked like an absolute stud in week 14 vs the seahawks and it was wise to re-insert him.
Cole still got looks in the playoffs. Just not as many as he did when Lee was out.

Dede got plenty of looks in the wildcard game (8 targets) but didn't produce. Some of that was on Blake.

Did they target Westbrook and Cole a bit less in the divisional and conference games with Hurns and Lee back? Yes - but Cole still got looks and had some catches  - and Westbrook had been looking like he was in a bit of a "rookie wall" situation. He wasn't really earning targets at that point. It's possible Blake and/or Hackett lost some trust there.

I don't see any problem with how it was handled. Targeting vets over rookies a bit more in the playoffs actually makes a lot of sense.

The real issues in the conference game were more about the run game and the way the coaches switched their usage of it in the second half.

(03-16-2018, 11:24 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote: Yes..... you also just made my point. When the ball was thrown his way, good things happened, the ball just wasn't thrown his way enough. The GIF below is an example of my point, Cole quickly gets open against one of the better CB's in football in Stephon Gilmore, but the ball isn't thrown his way. He was playing at an unbelievable level at the end of the year for an un-drafted guy and deserved more targets, I don't think he was targeted in the Buffalo game and was only targeted a couple times against NE, despite making an insane sideline catch early in that game.

Dude.  

Westbrook dropping that perfect dime in the end zone in that loss to tennessee is probably what hurt his snap counts going into the play-offs. That was a "gimme" TD play. And he dropped it. The GIF is on Blake. He has to see Cole there and make that throw. He'll get better. People keep forgetting he was operating all year with no Robinson, no Hurns, an inconsistent Lee and three rookies that weren't all there or available from the beginning of the year. He'll get better with these guys in a few months.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 02:40 PM by Deacon.)

(03-16-2018, 11:37 AM)jagforlife85 Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 11:27 AM)Deacon Wrote: For that now somewhat famous gif, track #30 on the Defense. where do you think he is at the time the pass is thrown?

It looks like he would've been in the middle of the field, with a chance to defend the pass to Cole if it was thrown his way. My point isn't so much about Blake's decision to not throw the ball to Cole here, it's more about Cole's ability to quickly get open against one of the better CB's in football, creating yards of separation in the process. My assumption is if I were to watch the All-22, this wouldn't be an isolated event with Keelan Cole, he's shown the ability to get open and make tough catches in contested situations. He should've been fed more, especially against the Patriots who ran a ton of man to man concepts. Im of the opinion that he was better than any of the receivers on this roster last year.

(03-16-2018, 11:53 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Pre-snap, it appears to be a 2 deep look, but you can't really tell because of the narrow view.  Assuming the defense remained consistent with the pre-snap look of a 2 deep (a HUGE freaking assumption), I would think #30 would have to be responsible for the deep half of the field going to his left (or the viewer's left).

Assuming his responsibility shifts based upon the development of the play and he takes Cole, I don't think his position would be enough to prevent a completion, assuming a well thrown pass.

Assuming a worst-case scenario for the route, I'm thinking that the Safety took the Inside Third of the field. I base this on how quick the DB who was up on Cole out his outside foot forward to take away the outside release. To me, that states that he was expecting the Safety to take away the inside release. Granted, this is as Bullseye points out a huge assumption, but this is a Belichik coached Defense we are talking about.

I don't think this play is on Bortles because it sure didn't seem like a good opportunity for a completion to Cole from my perspective. Yes, Cole got a quick release on Gilmore, but to me it looked like Gilmore was expecting inside help and there is nothing there that tells me that he wasn't getting it. Does this mean that Cole couldn't get green grass between him and Gilmore? Not at all, but I'm not so sure this one clip is enough to make any conclusions either way. Although it sure does seem like the Defense was aligning two defenders to Cole.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM by jagshype.)

(03-16-2018, 12:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee didn't play in weeks 15,16 and 17.  During that stretch Westbrook had some ugly moments where he looked like a rookie. Add in the fact that Lee looked like an absolute stud in week 14 vs the seahawks and it was wise to re-insert him.

Did they target Westbrook and Cole a bit less in the divisional and conference games with Hurns and Lee back? Yes - but Cole still got looks and had some catches  - and Westbrook had been looking like he was in a bit of a "rookie wall" situation. He wasn't really earning targets at that point. It's possible Blake and/or Hackett lost some trust there.

Dude.  

NYC4jags, I usually agree with your all22 assessments but I can't get behind this thought.

The Pats are running Cover 1 robber.
Gilmore vs. Cole, Gilmore is suppose to keep outside leverage.
#32, the robber safety, is to hold at the hash marks, and #30, the deep saftey, over the top
Cole running a post into that defense is not the correct read for Bortles
Versus that defense, the crosses were the correct read, just a poor throw.

I just don't see what every else is seeing and just wanted to know what you are seeing.

(03-16-2018, 03:09 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 12:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee didn't play in weeks 15,16 and 17.  During that stretch Westbrook had some ugly moments where he looked like a rookie. Add in the fact that Lee looked like an absolute stud in week 14 vs the seahawks and it was wise to re-insert him.

Dude.  

NYC4jags, I usually agree with your all22 assessments but I can't get behind this thought.

#32, the robber safety, is to hold at the hash marks, and #30, the deep saftey, over the top

I just don't see what every else is seeing and just wanted to know what you are seeing.

Thanks. I made a bit of a snap judgement there.
 First of all - The crop of the vid doesn't really let us see the safety who back-pedals out of frame. So it may be as simple as his position.
 Secondly - Blake looks away from Cole just as he's making his break. A split second longer looking that way and perhaps he makes the throw (dependant upon depth of aforementioned safety). 
If the deep safety is deep enough - Cole's break had him open for a brief window there. Maybe not the smart read, but potentially a big completion if #30 is backed off enough. 
Yes it was a poor throw to lee. 

And getting back to the original topic of thread - as you've pointed out, this video isn't really a great example of "Cole running wide open consistently" as the OP is attempting to illustrate. 

He looks open coming out of his break - but we can't see the entire secondary here. Though he gets separation pretty consistently on the whole.

I like Cole and expect big things from him, but I don't think his reduced targets are what cost us a conference championship.

(03-16-2018, 03:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 03:09 PM)jagshype Wrote: NYC4jags, I usually agree with your all22 assessments but I can't get behind this thought.

Thanks. I made a bit of a snap judgement there.
 First of all - The crop of the vid doesn't really let us see the safety who back-pedals out of frame. So it may be as simple as his position.
 Secondly - Blake looks away from Cole just as he's making his break. A split second longer looking that way and perhaps he makes the throw (dependant upon depth of aforementioned safety). 
If the deep safety is deep enough - Cole's break had him open for a brief window there. Maybe not the smart read, but potentially a big completion if #30 is backed off enough. 
Yes it was a poor throw to lee. 

And getting back to the original topic of thread - as you've pointed out, this video isn't really a great example of "Cole running wide open consistently" as the OP is attempting to illustrate. 

He looks open coming out of his break - but we can't see the entire secondary here. Though he gets separation pretty consistently on the whole.

I like Cole and expect big things from him, but I don't think his reduced targets are what cost us a conference championship.

I do agree. Cole and Westbrook still have a ways to go in nuanced route running, the little things that come with experience. And just recognizing situations and being on the same page as Bortles.

(03-16-2018, 09:08 AM)Mandeezee Wrote: I'm referring to the Cole/Westbrook situation. The two guys were doing excellent to close the season when Hurns and Lee went down. Then for whatever reason, their playing time was cut beginning I believe the 49er game. In the playoffs Lee and Hurns got most of the snaps, Cole was completely absent.

I think back to the year MJD was holding out and Jennings was on fire all training camp and then preseason. He was ready to have a big year. What happened? First regular season game MJD was reinserted and it crushed Jennings confidence! They tried to give him relief snaps for MJD but he never ran the same and was cut or traded.

Athletes depend on their confidence a lot. Anyone who has participated in sports know what I'm referring too. Plus it throws off the moral in the locker room (though many won't admit it) when a guy has been putting in the work, earned playing time, and then the starting position is just handed back to the expected Starter. I could feel the energy the team gave off in the MJD/Jennings situation. Some guys in that locker room weren't happy at all how that was handled.

Last snap of the NE playoff game was a pass attempt to Westbrook who mentally wasn't there because the coaching staff chose to reinsert Lee and Hurns for the playoffs.

Just a area I think the coaching staff needs to pay more attention too.

Dude, this is the NFL, not the lingerie league.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.