Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
David Caldwell - Yay or nay?

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 11:12 AM by JackCity.)

I have been a big supporter of Caldwell the last few years. He's obviously a very smart guy with a knack for good deals and has shown very good ability when drafting in the mid rounds and for adding talent.

Unfortunately he has some fairly huge knocks against him. He's hired the worst coach in NFL history and kept him there for 4 years. Its looking like he's drafted two busts as Top 5 picks (Joke and Bortles) with a 3rd (Fowler) still a question mark.

This is the first time I've really began to question Caldwell's influence on the roster. Should he stay if we finish 5-11/6-10 this year? I'm really not sure he should as much as I like him and think that he has a future as a GM.

Yay or nay?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nah, I like Dave, but he failed. He hired the worst head coach in the league and drafted the worst QB in the league. Next!
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

His free agent signees sucked.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM by BklynJag.)

Nay. He's to blame as well. How are our first round picks doing? How is our coach?

Does Gipson play? Had many opportunities to improve the online with a ton of cap space, what happened?

Yay, just need OL help and bortles to play decent.

Oh and by the way, Where has Jack been?

I will give him another one season.

He needs to hire a REAL NFL head coach, and to improve the Oline.

Gipson, Jackson, Bortles, Yeldon etc...are not bad because they don't care. They are bad because of poor coaching.

Who would be a top GM candidate?

Dave needs to go, I started that thread a week ago and got scolded for it lol

Jaguars Braves Hawks Gators

Did everyone just conveniently forget the press conference Caldwell did in December 2014 where he made it clear that he and Khan had agreed upon a four year plan to rebuild the team? 

Yes, he hired a head coach that a'int gettin' it done. But they wanted the youngest team in the league to have some consistency in staff. That was part of the plan. That part failed. 

He also drafted a QB that's looking more and more like a bad decision weekly. 

Those are two pretty big knocks against Dave. 

Still, he got a number of things right and assembled a roster that's pretty stacked with talent. Underachieving, undisciplined talent, but it's plain to see there are several quality NFL starters on this roster. 

I think they've stuck with Gus because that was "the plan" and they are simply trying to stick to their script.

Clearly there are changes coming. I don't want Caldwell to be one if them. He's good at acquiring talent IMO. 

I don't want Dave to get canned, but if this season continues to be this bad, he just may. He's not blameless, he's made some poor decisions as well, but he's done more good than bad. It's about Blake tho, if he's turns out to be a bust, well.....that may be the death knell for Dave.

If there is a better guy out there that will be available THIS offseason, but likely not next offseason is the thought process that should go through Khans mind. If there isn't, then you stick with Dave. You don't just replace him for the heck of it. Now for Gus, we all know a squirrel can coach this team better than him.   

Quote:Did everyone just conveniently forget the press conference Caldwell did in December 2014 where he made it clear that he and Khan had agreed upon a four year plan to rebuild the team?

Yes, he hired a head coach that a'int gettin' it done. But they wanted the youngest team in the league to have some consistency in staff. That was part of the plan. That part failed.

He also drafted a QB that's looking more and more like a bad decision weekly.

Those are two pretty big knocks against Dave.

Still, he got a number of things right and assembled a roster that's pretty stacked with talent. Underachieving, undisciplined talent, but it's plain to see there are several quality NFL starters on this roster.

I think they've stuck with Gus because that was "the plan" and they are simply trying to stick to their script.

Clearly there are changes coming. I don't want Caldwell to be one if them. He's good at acquiring talent IMO.

Ok, this year four of the rebuild and the team still sucks. I agree that Dave has added some good talent to the team, but he has failed at the two most important personnel decisions a GM can make. He's hired the worst coach in NFL history, and he drafted the worst QB in the NFL.

Sucks that it has to be this way, but Khan needs to send Dave packing along with coach Gussy.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

For me, everyone gets a pass because I believe that is how bad and poisonous Gus is. Major blunder keeping the guy around though. That can't be argued, even if that were the 4 year plan they needed to jump ship in the offseason. Everyone gets a new coach and then we will have a much more clear picture on Dave

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 11:44 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Yea dave is not the problem.  Blake is what he is.  A gunslinger.  He has drafted well.  And FA aren't terrible.   Has he made some mistakes?  Of course. However who hasn't.  

Coaching is the issue. And the makeshift o line.   When blake has time and receivers get separation he is real good.  Dave just cant fix everything at once. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Yea dave is not the problem.  Blake is what he is.  A gunslinger.  He has drafted well.  And FA aren't terrible.   Has he made some mistakes?  Of course. However who hasn't.  

Coaching is the issue. And the makeshift o line.   When blake has time and receivers get separation he is real good.  Dave just cant fix everything at once. 
He's not even gun slinging this year. He's just bad. How many times do we really go deep this year? Ill wait

Jaguars Braves Hawks Gators

He has the same gm record as Gus has his special coaching record. He can't be far off from the worst gm in NFL history record wise or quickest to 40 losses for a gm. That whole trinity of Khan, Caldwell, and Bradley sucks majorly when it comes to football if anyone is being honest with themselves.

I'm still at "yay".  I think he's done a lot right, although it appears he did one very large thing wrong, i.e. hire a coach.  He may've done another big thing wrong in his selection of Blake Bortles.  As I said in another thread, I'd like to see Blake with a competent coaching staff, OL, running game, etc before totally giving up on him, but things certainly appear bleak on that end.

But, I guess I would say that plenty of high-quality GM's have goofed over the years on coaches and QB's.......it's part of the biz.........it just has come at an oh-so-bad of a time for us...............so, I wouldn't fire him over those two issues.  Now, I would fire him if the rest of his moves had been sub-par, but I don't think that's the case here.  I think if I were Khan, I'd instruct Dave to fire Gus immediately, and make it clear to him that he's got one more shot at this.  Not in the total rebuild kind of "one more shot"..........but one more shot at finding the right coach and either resuscitating Bortles or finding an NFL QB.

I am still fine if he stays or goes. I think he has done an above average job at talent acquisition across the board, but not many GMs survive missing on their hand picked HC and QB. 

I look at the roster and I see there's talent there but I agree that accountability should include the GM as well.  He did pick the head coach.  Based on some of his player acquisitions though I think he should get another year with a new coach and possibly QB.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.