Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
David Caldwell - Yay or nay?

Quote:Ok, this year four of the rebuild and the team still sucks. I agree that Dave has added some good talent to the team, but he has failed at the two most important personnel decisions a GM can make. He's hired the worst coach in NFL history, and he drafted the worst QB in the NFL.

Sucks that it has to be this way, but Khan needs to send Dave packing along with coach Gussy.

A GM is expected to draft talent picking at the top of the round every year. The problem is, he is routinely compared to Smith which he could never look bad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I have been a big supporter of Caldwell the last few years. He's obviously a very smart guy with a knack for good deals and has shown very good ability when drafting in the mid rounds and for adding talent.

Unfortunately he has some fairly huge knocks against him. He's hired the worst coach in NFL history and kept him there for 4 years. Its looking like he's drafted two busts as Top 5 picks (Joke and Bortles) with a 3rd (Fowler) still a question mark.

This is the first time I've really began to question Caldwell's influence on the roster. Should he stay if we finish 5-11/6-10 this year? I'm really not sure he should as much as I like him and think that he has a future as a GM.

Yay or nay?
You should make this a poll.  He stinks.  Look at all the high round picks that are looking like bust.  Bortles, Joeckle, and Fowler look like scrubs.  Just terrible.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote: Yall think yall can do better?
It's damn near impossible to do worse.  Yes I could do better

I'm probably one of his loudest critics, that said I'd give him one more year just because a new GM probably means starting at square one and I'm not ready for that again.

His biggest flaw is instance on building this scheme he pictures. He has this vision and puts on blinders to anyone that doesnt fit this vision of role players he wants. It's lead to us taking questionable picks to fill roles he needs to complete this scheme.

I prefer a GM that solely focuses on talent and then let the coaches figure out the scheme based on the rosters strength.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Caldwells drafting has done nothing for the win column Mel Kiper couldn't have done or any fan for that matter.

A GM is tied to the hip for his QB and coach.  We see how that is going now

Quote:A GM is tied to the hip for his QB and coach.  We see how that is going now

I disagree...Caldwell has clearly improved as a GM.  I think he will do better picking the next coach and QB if needed.

Does anyone have a better alternative to Caldwell?

Quote:What do you mean one good year? He went to San Francisco with Jim Harbaugh and was there the entire time until San Francisco was stupid enough to fire Harbaugh. Roman was there and helped resurrect Alex Smith's dying career and the last time Colin Kaepernick looked like an NFL quarterback was under his coaching. Not anybody else. And as far as him being fired by Rex Ryan in Buffalo? What's your point? Oh, so because the Bills beat a Bradyless Patriots team and edge out a weak Miami team after they fired him that somehow makes him a bad offensive coordinator? They hung 33 points on Arizona before he got fired. And they've beaten chump teams like SF and LA who don't have any offensive firepower to combat any opponent....

That 49ers team relied so much on an elite defense. They certainly weren't a top team because of Roman and his offense. The one good year was the year when he unleashed Kaep. The year after, they changed their offense around and tried to make Kaep into a pocket passer instead of doing what they did well the season before.

That offense hovered around 200 ypg passing.

Roman became a hot name after that blowup year by Kaep. But there's a reason why he hasn't been talked about as a HC since, and was fired two games in. And oh yeah...that 33 points on Arizona? That happened AFTER he got fired.

And worth a read:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/9/1...s-rex-ryan

I think the reason Dave was purportedly crying in the press box was that his franchise Quarterback is going the way of Josh Freeman.

Quote:I disagree...Caldwell has clearly improved as a GM. I think he will do better picking the next coach and QB if needed.

Does anyone have a better alternative to Caldwell?

Tom Heckert is an option.

Quote:As a GM, you shouldn't be expected to hit a homerun with every decision you make, but you have to wonder how someone like Bradley can manage to slip through the cracks and blow some smoke in front of a group of NFL professionals and get a million dollar paying head coaching gig

Keep in mind he was the frontrunner for the Philly job before Chip Kelly decided to tuck tail on Oregon before the sanctions came down.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Yall think yall can do better?
I hate seeing this argument. I'm sure you can't direct or edit a film but that doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about a movie. You don't need to be an expert at something to recognize someone else's shortcomings. 

Caldwell needs to fire Gus ASAP and, if he doesn't, he is directly responsible for this season's failure. We all know what Gus is and isn't. Caldwell shouldn't be supporting Gus any longer

Quote:Just the fact that he has been extremely resistant with giving up on his previous pet projects. He tried to shoehorn Joeckel in at LG without bringing in any real competition in case the position switch didn't work out. Cyprien never got any competition. Chris Smith sticking around despite a glaringly superior prospect being drafted this year. Gus being here past his expiration date.

I think the better question would be what evidence has Dave shown that he is willing to admit a mistake on an investment with a strong alternative solution? Much less his career defining hand picked QB investment.

Well for starters, Joeckel was shoehorned into LG because he was replaced at LT. Jackson was paid and Day drafted to hedge against Marks. Ivory?

You can only have so much roster turnover in a given offseason. I think Caldwell has played it fairly smart and "ignored" positions where you can get away with hiding players, i.e. LG, SS. At least until more guys can be drafted.

Quote:I'm probably one of his loudest critics, that said I'd give him one more year just because a new GM probably means starting at square one and I'm not ready for that again.

His biggest flaw is instance on building this scheme he pictures. He has this vision and puts on blinders to anyone that doesnt fit this vision of role players he wants. It's lead to us taking questionable picks to fill roles he needs to complete this scheme.

I prefer a GM that solely focuses on talent and then let the coaches figure out the scheme based on the rosters strength.

This. This is understated. I think Wade Phillips said it awhile back but it was basically along those same lines. You don't try to force your personnel into a scheme they don't fit. You create a scheme that fits your personnel so that they can click. Good coaches can and should be able to adapt with the personnel they have. I am also in the same field. I'd rather not see another face in here as the general manager. Because now you're really looking at another overhaul. And I don't think this fanbase can stomach it once again.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:That 49ers team relied so much on an elite defense. They certainly weren't a top team because of Roman and his offense. The one good year was the year when he unleashed Kaep. The year after, they changed their offense around and tried to make Kaep into a pocket passer instead of doing what they did well the season before.

That offense hovered around 200 ypg passing.

Roman became a hot name after that blowup year by Kaep. But there's a reason why he hasn't been talked about as a HC since, and was fired two games in. And oh yeah...that 33 points on Arizona? That happened AFTER he got fired.

And worth a read:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/9/1...s-rex-ryan

Fair points. Good read. But after the abysmal offensive performances AND defensive performances we've had under Gus Bradley. Come on man. Do you really think we could do much worse? And of course their offense hovered around 200 yards passing per game. They were more into ball control and using Alex and Colin's legs along with a stout backfield to keep the clock rolling. All I can remember about Roman's offense is the fact that they outshined the Patriots in New England during a primetime game. And that when it came to the play-offs they were reeling off big games left and right. They almost came back and beat a pretty good Raven's defense in the superbowl loss they had too. That stood out to me a lot more than anything else. Seattle has churned out Bradley and Quinn because of the players they had on defense. The scheme didn't change. But Roman and Harbaugh left the Bay Area and that entire offense imploded.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Im still on the Yay train for him. Would love to see him with a new HC and see what happens then. I believe he has had some solid hits but of course, just like any GM hes had some pretty horrible misses. However the massive miss that is his HC is the thing that hurts the most IMO, can he recover and find a better HC?

I say "may"...

As in may-be...

See what I did there????  See it!?!?!?!?!?!?