Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
David Caldwell - Yay or nay?

Yall just want everyone fired. Yall think yall can do better? Seriously, lets snap back into reality here people. Rebuilding means losing even more. No one is gong to instantly make us win.

Except Goodell, who I think is holding us down on purpose. 

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Did everyone just conveniently forget the press conference Caldwell did in December 2014 where he made it clear that he and Khan had agreed upon a four year plan to rebuild the team?

Yes, he hired a head coach that a'int gettin' it done. But they wanted the youngest team in the league to have some consistency in staff. That was part of the plan. That part failed.

He also drafted a QB that's looking more and more like a bad decision weekly.

Those are two pretty big knocks against Dave.

Still, he got a number of things right and assembled a roster that's pretty stacked with talent. Underachieving, undisciplined talent, but it's plain to see there are several quality NFL starters on this roster.

I think they've stuck with Gus because that was "the plan" and they are simply trying to stick to their script.

Clearly there are changes coming. I don't want Caldwell to be one if them. He's good at acquiring talent IMO.

Lol its year 4 and we are worse than last year.

I think Caldwell deserves a shot to fix his problems.

I think he's done well hedging his bets so far. Beachum for Joker. Continued to add DBs until we finally got some good ones. He drafted Allen knowing Henne would be gone soon and he didn't want Allen on the PS cuz he knows he'll get picked up. Allen is the back-up plan if Bortles fails. Other veteran options will be available in the next couple seasons as well.

He's made some FA signings that were great, and some that didn't work.

His drafts have improved each year, imo.

He is gaining experience as a GM. The team seems to be under achieving and that always falls on coaching. I think Caldwell should get a chance to fix that much like he's actually fixed almost every position on the team.

If he hires from within instead of starting from scratch, his leash should be very short.

I for one hope it all gets turned around rather quickly... a new GM usually has a new vision...

and that means really starting over again.

I don't want to become the Browns.....

Quote:Ok, this year four of the rebuild and the team still sucks. I agree that Dave has added some good talent to the team, but he has failed at the two most important personnel decisions a GM can make. He's hired the worst coach in NFL history, and he drafted the worst QB in the NFL.

Sucks that it has to be this way, but Khan needs to send Dave packing along with coach Gussy.
Reasonable take. I respect that opinion. 

I'm optimistic abut Dave because I see him as capable of being able to learn from his miscues as a first time GM that was saddled with an incredibly tall order of a rebuild. 

I feel like he can fix it if given the chance, but it's understandable if he isn't given that chance. 

I think he has learned from his failures and drastically improved.  If he was the sole reason Gus's contract was extended then I do question his ability to evaluate coaches/leadership.  However, if keeping Gus around was Khan's doing then that is different.

As far as being a GM on the player side, he'd have a job elsewhere next year if we fired him.

One potential reason to get rid of Caldwell is his link with Blake.

Caldwell is unlikely to give up on Blake already and that may impact potential HCs like Haley/McDaniels/Shanahan who might not want to work with Bortles and may want their own hand picked or drafted QB instead

Quote:Lol its year 4 and we are worse than last year.

Thanks for the update. 

What's your point?

I mean, I don't actually think you'll have anything of substance to add to the discussion, but if you're going to snark at my posts I'll at least ask you to try harder.

I'd say yay; based on the drafts. We've had some good drafts; compared to the bafoon Gene whiffs-a-lot and Shack attack Harris. But he has whiffed on our major 1st rd picks (Bortles it seems like and Lukey dukey). And FA's and coaching picks are now questionable. So I could see going the other way with him. I'm just not sure who we would replace him with right now. I think he's doing a decent job. So I'd stick with him a little longer and see how the team turns out with better coaching and leadership.

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:One potential reason to get rid of Caldwell is his link with Blake.

Caldwell is unlikely to give up on Blake already and that may impact potential HCs like Haley/McDaniels/Shanahan who might not want to work with Bortles and may want their own hand picked or drafted QB instead
I really think Caldwell has no problem finding solutions to his mistakes.

I don't see why any HC would dismiss an opportunity to turn Bortles around while also having a kid like Allen and probably the ability to bring in a veteran like Romo, Kap, etc.

Quote:Thanks for the update.

What's your point?

I mean, I don't actually think you'll have anything of substance to add to the discussion, but if you're going to snark at my posts I'll at least ask you to try harder.

Let me spell it out for you. DAVE IS A BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Ask yourself this question. Is there are a lot of talent on this team? I believe the answer is yes.

A-Rob

Hurns.

Linder.

Ngakue

Ramsey

Telvin Smith

Cann

Marquis Lee

Those are just a few who come to mind. Yes, keep Caldwell.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 12:29 PM by Kane.)

Quote:Let me spell it out for you. DAVE IS A BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM.
I don't think Caldwell has anything to do with play development.

But... go on?

As a rookie GM he made a lot of mistakes but he's improved each season. And his contracts to free agents have always been team friendly which hasn't put us in any sort of binds. With the rookie wage scale, we don't have to worry about being tied to a 3rd overall selection beyond 3 or 4 seasons.....

Caldwell has cornerstone pieces in place at all 3 levels on defense. He has 3/5 Oline positions solidified. A plethora of WR talent. QB is a ? but nothing is a done deal with Bortles just yet, and the Allen kid might actually be pretty good in his own right. We need a playmaker RB, we probably need to readdress TE and add more to the Oline. But I don't think Caldwell is the reason this team can't close out games or keeps beating themselves with pop warner problems.

As much as I've defended Bradley over the seasons... this is clearly just like the Wade Phillips Cowboys who had all the talent in the world and couldn't get over .500.

We need a staff that maximizes the roster's talent instead of misusing or not using it.

EDIT: I know DC chose Bradley. He was a fiery coach from a defense that was all the rage. I'm sure ATL will regret their decision with Quinn too.

Don't hire the scheme, hire the man. I think DC will make a better choice the second time around.

Quote:I really think Caldwell has no problem finding solutions to his mistakes.

I don't see why any HC would dismiss an opportunity to turn Bortles around while also having a kid like Allen and probably the ability to bring in a veteran like Romo, Kap, etc.

We havn't seen any evidence of that yet unfortunately as much as I like him.

Because Bortles looks fundamentally broken as a QB at the moment. Not sure there's much to work with there for any offensive gurus or QB whisperers in the league.

Quote:We havn't seen any evidence of that yet unfortunately as much as I like him.

Because Bortles looks fundamentally broken as a QB at the moment. Not sure there's much to work with there for any offensive gurus or QB whisperers in the league.
Beachum for Joker looks like its turning out OK.

He drafted some DBs that didn't work, so he went and signed some that were better. (And then also drafted Ramsey)

He signed Toby and drafted D. Rob and then went and got Ivory and Yeldon.

I'm just saying... learning on the job is tough... he clearly was in over his head his first year but has gotten better at deals and selections each season.

He's covered his [BLEEP] pretty well and I know we don't know much about the Allen kid but I saw him play a lot in college. He's gonna be good, especially sitting and watching disaster lol

Also... I don't think we need an offensive guru to put Bortles in position to succeed. 

Where are the bootlegs? Why are we passing on first and running on second?

What happened to Olson the one we thought was turning our offense around?

I don't get our offensive play calls this year.

I agree Bortles has played poorly but I think it has to do with him wanting or needing to do to much. We have to be able to run the ball. And whether that is scheme or blocking or a combination, I dunno...

but against the leagues worst defense, way bottom of rush D... we ran it like 6 times or something in the first 20 plays or so...

Sometimes you gotta force the issue to get some lanes opened. Too often it ....was pass incomplete, run for 2 yards, 3rd and long after penalty.

Bortles go out there and complete this long throw, oh over thrown, next time under throw it, and then throw some more, eventually you'll throw a boneheaded INT.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 12:40 PM by irontrooper83.)

Still yay for me about Caldwell. I liked what he has done for the most part. 

The thing is he missed badly with Bradley (and this is fixable) and Bortles honestly hasn't developed as they were hoping. And it was a risk taking a guy with Blake mechanics issues to fix that high in the draft. 

I would give him a chance to try and fix these 2 main areas but while the coaching staff should be an easier transition it will be damn hard to fix the QB situation: good QBs aren't easy to find and we see that all around the league.

I also wanted more help on the OL in the last FA (and a proven pass rusher, but again...not easy to find and not his fault the Vernon situation) but this is a minor complaint. Joeckel was another bad pick but he recovered by acquiring Beachum finally. 

What he needs to get right is the QB situation and the coach. And while i'm positive he can find a solution for the latter I'm afraid the former will be a real problem for a good while.

Quote:Let me spell it out for you. DAVE IS A BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Right. You already said that. So, nothing new to add to the discussion?  

I mean, you are at liberty to reply to my posts with an "LOL insert insanely obvious statement here" whenever you want, but it's kind of annoying when you have zero to bring to the table besides whining. 

I don't think you can say he didn't draft a QB, when he got one that could put up the numbers he did last year (go ahead and take out what you want to call garbage time, and the numbers still are pretty good) and now he is putting up what he has been this year.  

The whole thing goes to coaching.

I think it boils down to an attempt at the coaching staff trying to change from a "Let's just get better" mentality to a "Must produce Wins" mentality that they really tried to change before week 3 of the preseason.

Now, after the hype of the offseason, the players feel exposed, know the system is failing, and it all is falling apart.  In short, they justifiably have lost faith in themselves, their teammates, and most of all the coaching staff.

I don't think Blake lacks ability.  I think he is sorely lacking in confidence and hesitates making everything off.  

Quote:Ask yourself this question. Is there are a lot of talent on this team? I believe the answer is yes.

A-Rob

Hurns.

Linder.

Ngakue

Ramsey

Telvin Smith

Cann

Marquis Lee

Those are just a few who come to mind. Yes, keep Caldwell.

I think he just have a serious problem selecting players for the offensive line. Atlanta had that same problem
Formerly known as The Real Joker

Quote:I think he just have a serious problem selecting players for the offensive line. Atlanta had that same problem
Truth.  ^  

Caldwell needs to re-evaluate the way he and his scouts are ranking O-Linemen. 

I say Yay for Caldwell. It was a much stronger Yay before this season started though.

In terms of an eye for talent, I think Caldwell has one of the best that I've seen come through this franchise. He has accumulated a ton of talent. Problem is, it's for nothing when it isn't being developed, and since he picked this moron we have at head coach, he deserves some of the blame. Gus SHOULD have been fired after last year... appreciate DC's patience, but he should have done what was best for the team instead of being stubborn and sticking to his "plan".

Bortles has regressed to a ridiculously bad level, almost unfixable. However, this is why DC wanted him to sit year one. And even then, Bortles would've still been developed under this staff.

I honestly won't be bothered if he loses his job. We need a good head coach, and if it means DC has gotta go to get that guy, so be it. Hopefully, because he does have an eye for talent, he throws his stubbornness out the window and hires a good HC, even if it means bye bye to Bortles.
No commercial messages in sigs