Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What will DJ Hayden bring to the Jaguars?

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2018, 09:09 PM by knarnn.)

A pretty good breakdown by the guys at Locked on Jaguars. Their content is already better than the what gets put out on BCC. 

https://www.lockedonjaguars.com/jaguars/...e-jaguars/

Quote: In 2017, Hayden allowed a career-best 0 TDs and 76.7 passer rating when targeted on 488 snaps, per Pro Football Focus. Hayden allowed 29 receptions on 50 targets (58.0% catch rate) for only 315 yards with 6 pass deflections and 2 fumble recoveries (1 returned for TD). One negative about Hayden is that from 2015-2017, Hayden led all defensive backs with 13 defensive pass interference penalties on 162 targets for a shocking 8.02% DPI%. For reference, the next highest on this list is Delvin Breaux with a 5.98% DPI%. But don’t panic, Jaguars fans. Only 2 of these 13 came with the Lions in 2017, and most of these stemmed from Hayden not having safety help over the top in Oakland and having to do what was needed to prevent a big play. For the Jaguars fans waving goodbye to the nickel blitz due to Hayden’s limited sack numbers; Hayden was only dispatched on a blitz on 2 of 488 snaps, getting home for a half-sack.

In comparison, Aaron Colvin allowed 45 receptions on 62 targets (72.6% catch rate) for 317 yards on 700 snaps, also not allowing a TD in 2017. Colvin’s passer rating against when targeted was 83.9 and he finished the regular season with 1 pass deflection and no interceptions.....

While I’m not a huge fan of the signing and feel there was other guys out there who were better (and cheaper) this article somewhat shines the light on what our front office sees in the guy.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I know a lot of fans weren't enamored with the FA signings this year, but this article does a good job of showing why they like Hayden.  Also, nfl.com pointed out a couple of Jags signings as best contacts, affordable contracts with potential.

I think Hayden has more upside than Colvin

I think they overpaid for him because they saw him as one of the few guys who can be a good nickel corner but also move outside if one of them goes down (god forbid). Seems like.last year was his best year as a pro and he is an improving player. He will definitely be tested often next year as QBs will look away from Jalen and AJ. We will see how he does...

Really good Beats. Disco Disco !!!!

I have no idea what he brings. I'm just gonna wait and see and make my judgement from his play on the field.

From what I hear, Hayden is weak against the run. This worries me a bit because Colvin made a lot of plays against the run in the slot.

I don’t think he will be that much different than Colvin in terms of coverage.

(03-20-2018, 09:13 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: From what I hear, Hayden is weak against the run. This worries me a bit because Colvin made a lot of plays against the run in the slot.

I don’t think he will be that much different than Colvin in terms of coverage.

Where are you hearing that?

Considering TC has a history of taking chances on former first round picks (Ware, Howard, Pritchett, Brown, Brady, Rison, Lageman, Clark, etc) this signing was not a total shock.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Hayden is the same age as Colvin, and according to those metrics it appears he's an upgrade for less money. We're only paying Hayden $6.3 mil per while the Texans are paying Colvin $8.5 mil per.
'02

(03-20-2018, 11:56 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Hayden is the same age as Colvin, and according to those metrics it appears he's an upgrade for less money. We're only paying Hayden $6.3 mil per while the Texans are paying Colvin $8.5 mil per.

I think he's faster, too.

At this point, I still think Colvin is a more complete player, but hopefully I am wrong, or the difference between Colvin and Hayden is not enough to make a big difference in the defense.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

Ouch!!!
Hayden gave up 10.86 yards per catch.
Colvin gave up 7.04 yards per catch.

Essentially, Hayden gave up a first down each time the opponent completed a pass against him. The line to gain for a first down is set at a distance of ten yards from the initial line of scrimmage.

As for aggressive posture against the run, Colvin had three times as many tackles for loss.

Interestingly, how you incorporate either Colvin or Hayden into the team defense.

For example: opposing QB rating or QB rating for the quarterback facing each defense:

Jaguars 68.5
Lions 84.1

You aren't going to use this stat to suggest that Hayden faced off against better QBs in the NFC North than Colvin did in the AFC South, are you?

(03-20-2018, 12:00 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Ouch!!!
Hayden gave up 10.86 yards per catch.
Colvin gave up 7.04 yards per catch.

Essentially, Hayden gave up a first down each time the opponent completed a pass against him. The line to gain for a first down is set at a distance of ten yards from the initial line of scrimmage.

As for aggressive posture against the run, Colvin had three times as many tackles for loss.

Interestingly, how you incorporate either Colvin or Hayden into the team defense.

For example: opposing QB rating or QB rating for the quarterback facing each defense:

Jaguars 68.5
Lions 84.1

You aren't going to use this stat to suggest that Hayden faced off against better QBs in the NFC North than Colvin did in the AFC South, are you?

These stats say more about the defenses as a whole than they do the individual players.
'02

12th pick in his draft, he's going to be beasting out there with Ramsey and Bouye in the back and speed and ferocity of the front 7

This is one of those wait and sees signings for me. Honestly don't know what to think, especially since we historically spend so much time in nickel. I guess we'll see any weaknesses pretty quickly.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

He's not good but I don't think Marrone will willingly play someone who continually stinks. So he'll either play well or ride the bench

(03-20-2018, 04:19 PM)B2hibry Wrote: This is one of those wait and sees signings for me. Honestly don't know what to think, especially since we historically spend so much time in nickel. I guess we'll see any weaknesses pretty quickly.

A lot of people were up in arms about the Bouye signing. Saying that 15 million per year was too much for any CB, let alone one who was undrafted and only had 1 season of success. Bouye obviously balled out and proved the doubters wrong and was worth every cent. Just like Caldwell has a knack for finding WR's, it appears that this front office knows how to identify talent at the CB position. He was a starter on the outside in Oakland and split reps at the #2 spot in Detroit; covering the 3rd best WR on the opposing teams I think he'll do a fine job. I'm really not worried about him tbh.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Lol what, who wasn't raving about the Bouye signing?

If the Jaguars plan is to use D.J. Hayden as a slot type of CB replacing Aaron Colvin, the game tapes when he was with the Raiders in 2016 would be much more valuable to watch than the game tapes when he was with the Lions in 2017. In 2017, the vast majority of Hayden's Defensive plays were as an outside CB when he came in for parts of games in place of Nevin Lawson.

(03-20-2018, 07:53 PM)D6 Wrote: If the Jaguars plan is to use D.J. Hayden as a slot type of CB replacing Aaron Colvin,   the game tapes when he was with the Raiders in 2016 would be much more valuable to watch than the game tapes when he was with the Lions in 2017.   In 2017,   the vast majority of Hayden's Defensive plays were as an outside CB when he came in for parts of games in place of Nevin Lawson.

The hope is that he's improved a lot since his Raiders days.
'02