Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Agent Quarterbacks Still Available

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018, 12:56 PM by ATLjag.)

The Jags are a contending team.  They only have one QB on the roster.  They do not pick until the end of the 1st round, with too much draft capital needed to move far enough up to get a top rookie QB that has near term starter capability.  That leaves either a trade or remaining free agent QB to solve this year's primary backup role.  

The good news is the remaining free agent QBs should be available for cheap now.  The bad news is the quality of the remaining QBs is not stellar by any definition.  Here's who is left... (via Rotoworld)

Jay Cutler
Blaine Gabbert
Matt Moore
Geno Smith
Drew Stanton
Austin Davis
Brock Osweiler
Derek Anderson
TJ Yates
EJ Manuel 
Joe Webb
Mark Sanchez
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Mallet
Kellen Clemens
Scott Tolzien

Can any of these guys backup Blake this year, and run the Jags offense to a decent level if needed?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Manziel
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Good list.

But I wouldn’t be happy with any of those players, if Bortles went down injured.

In fact I’d probably have been more confident in Chad Henne.

Maybe we’re better off looking for a trade, if we aren’t going to draft someone.

Brissett? Lynch? Siemian? Hoyer? None of them are world-beaters, but I’d take any of them over the players on the free agent list.

I thought Matt Moore played decently for the Dolphins a couple of years back. I would not mind him here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-22-2018, 02:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought Matt Moore played decently for the Dolphins a couple of years back.  I would not mind him here.

I feel the same.  I can only imagine there's something that has taken him off our radar.

His 2017 was pretty bad, which may be a sign that he's done.  He's had a longer run than I remembered (11 years - one more than Henne.)  I guess I didn't recall the Panthers years.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Cutler: Probably the best option of those listed, but That just speaks of how bad the rest of these guys are. I'd rather draft a guy.  
Gabbert: The comedy option.
Moore: Probably the second best option of these.  Which says more about the other guys, than about Moore.
Smith: Not even if he agreed to pay us to let him play.  Can't believe I ever thought he'd be good.
Stanton: Just no.
Davis: Why?
Osweiller:  If we need a guy to throw interceptions, he'd be a better choice than Geno Smith.  But Bortles in his bad year is better still.
Anderson: Pretty sure a 7th round rookie would be able to hand the ball off just as well
Yates; Well he is pretty used to throwing to Jaguar players I guess... but NO!
Manuel: Better than some of these guys, but still terrible.
Webb: Pretty sure any rookie would be better
Sanchez: Wasn't even on a team last year.  I'd take Kaepernick over Sanchez if we want a guy who didn't play last year.
Weeden: He's bound to be AARP age by now.  Jokes aside, he hasn't played since 2015.
Mallet: TMD would be excited.  I'd be disappointed.
Clemmons: If we really need an interception thrower, Osweiller is still the better choice.
Tolzien: 2 career touchdowns.  9 Career interceptions.  Like I said, go Osweiller if you need a guy who can throw to the other team.

(03-22-2018, 02:27 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 02:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought Matt Moore played decently for the Dolphins a couple of years back.  I would not mind him here.

I feel the same.  I can only imagine there's something that has taken him off our radar.

His 2017 was pretty bad, which may be a sign that he's done.  He's had a longer run than I remembered (11 years - one more than Henne.)  I guess I didn't recall the Panthers years.

Perhaps they are waiting until after the draft.

If they don't get the guy they want late April, he should still be there in May.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018, 02:45 PM by pirkster.)

I'd like Cutler as a backup as well (would have liked him last year but not for that starter money.)

My concern with him would be... does he really want to play anymore? I can't read his mind, but it doesn't appear to me he's really been into his craft for a while - mailing it in. Just my unfounded opinion.

The lack of movement for a vet tells me they intend on drafting, and picking up a vet around final cuts after they see what they have in the rookie.

(03-22-2018, 02:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 02:27 PM)pirkster Wrote: I feel the same.  I can only imagine there's something that has taken him off our radar.

Perhaps they are waiting until after the draft.

If they don't get the guy they want late April, he should still be there in May.

I like the idea of that, too.  The "Tractor Technique."  We've got his number.  lol

Just snag Cutler and let's move on. He's plenty good enough, and we could still pick up a developmental QB in rounds three or four to be ready to start as early as December 2019.
'02

Someone might say "Kaep". Not me, I'm not saying it but someone else might.  Ninja
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Jags were one of thirteen teams today at the University of San Diego’s Pro Day to see Johnny Manziel throw.

I'd say we have our backup and we got to draft a starter but thats just me.
No Fun

(03-22-2018, 03:31 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Jags were one of thirteen teams today at the University of San Diego’s Pro Day to see Johnny Manziel throw.

I don't see how any team could trust Manziel at this point.

Bro, Cutler ain't gonna be a back up. You guys are dreaming. Think about it...

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2018, 04:15 PM by pirkster.)

(03-22-2018, 03:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Bro, Cutler ain't gonna be a back up. You guys are dreaming. Think about it...

Not dreaming.  Just stating what his role would be here.

If he wants to wait for another opportunity to start, he may be waiting quite some time.  His choice.

He stated he didn't want to move again or back anyone up.  So, that must mean he'll choose retirement unless he changes his mind again.

A couple years ago yes.  But he hasn't been the same since the Bud Dupree hit.

I don't want anyone on that list. I'd rather roll the dice with a rookie or two.

(03-22-2018, 04:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't want anyone on that list. I'd rather roll the dice with a rookie or two.

Yeah this may be what they are planning.
No Fun

(03-22-2018, 03:31 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Jags were one of thirteen teams today at the University of San Diego’s Pro Day to see Johnny Manziel throw.

Him and Blake can be drinking buddies