Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
For Anyone Still Kicking Around the idea of signing Manziel

This tweet is from Andrew Perloff, quoting johnny Manziel.

Quote:"If Cleveland did any of their homework they would have known I wasn't a guy who came in every day and watch film. I wasn't a guy who really knew the X's and O's of football." - Johnny Manziel on @dpshow

While the quote uses past tense language, I'm left to wonder how Manziel makes the transition from that to the NFL QB ideal.

I grant that people can change, and that people can mature.  But assuming he has matured, who does he get with to learn the work and study habits of a successful NFL QB?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That does give me pause; but also makes me feel great about his understanding of the games outside of the X's and O's. How many men off of the street can come in and play QB, even at the college level, the way he did and have that type of success? Yes, he needs to study but i think he understands enough to at least earn a backup/practice squad QB spot like he wants.

FWIW, BB5 and most other QBs, study all the time to try and get better but dont have the talent or understanding to make it work. Thats even with practice and repeated repetitions on a regular basis while also studying x's and o's.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(04-04-2018, 10:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This tweet is from Andrew Perloff, quoting johnny Manziel.

Quote:"If Cleveland did any of their homework they would have known I wasn't a guy who came in every day and watch film. I wasn't a guy who really knew the X's and O's of football." - Johnny Manziel on @dpshow

While the quote uses past tense language, I'm left to wonder how Manziel makes the transition from that to the NFL QB ideal.

I grant that people can change, and that people can mature.  But assuming he has matured, who does he get with to learn the work and study habits of a successful NFL QB?

At some point, the task of learning falls on the student. While a mentor would help him along the way, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have an idea of what it takes to be an NFL QB. In his statement, he lays out the things that he didn't do and the knowledge that he didn't have. 

From my perspective, he knows what he needs to do. It's just up to him to go out and actually do it.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

CFL bound...

He was on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday and sounded good. Who knows with him but I'm cheering for him. It was a great interview.

Good interview by Dan Patrick...thanks for sharing.

Deacon nailed it objectively, and subjectively, as a kid who watched my parents suffer to try to give me an opportunity coming from a borderline-poverty household, I’m not the biggest fan of extra chances for players or persons who have clearly demonstrated their selfishness and lack of respect for the game.

Johnny will be fine either way. He’ll inherit millions. How anyone could root for this child is beyond me. I get that the rich stick to their own, but Christ.

Character should mean something. Especially at QB.

(04-05-2018, 07:40 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 10:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: ...

I grant that people can change, and that people can mature.

At some point, the task of learning falls on the student. While a mentor would help him along the way, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have an idea of what it takes to be an NFL QB. In his statement, he lays out the things that he didn't do and the knowledge that he didn't have. 

From my perspective, he knows what he needs to do. It's just up to him to go out and actually do it.

(04-10-2018, 10:20 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: Deacon nailed it objectively, and subjectively, as a kid who watched my parents suffer to try to give me an opportunity coming from a borderline-poverty household, I’m not the biggest fan of extra chances for players or persons who have clearly demonstrated their selfishness and lack of respect for the game.

Johnny will be fine either way.  He’ll inherit millions.  How anyone could root for this child is beyond me.  I get that the rich stick to their own, but Christ.  

Character should mean something.  Especially at QB.

Good points.  

I don't have any expectation he'll ever make it back to the NFL, and can't bring myself to root for him that way.

I do, however, wish him well in terms of managing or conquering his addiction enough to do something (anything)  positive with his life.  After his college career - he could use his experience and name recognition to do something good for kids or those struggling with addiction if he ever got right and set his mind to it. 
Of course - this  ^  currently seems as unlikely as him signing with the Broncos next week.

(04-10-2018, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 07:40 AM)Deacon Wrote: At some point, the task of learning falls on the student. While a mentor would help him along the way, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have an idea of what it takes to be an NFL QB. In his statement, he lays out the things that he didn't do and the knowledge that he didn't have. 

(04-10-2018, 10:20 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: Deacon nailed it objectively, and subjectively, as a kid who watched my parents suffer to try to give me an opportunity coming from a borderline-poverty household, I’m not the biggest fan of extra chances for players or persons who have clearly demonstrated their selfishness and lack of respect for the game.

Johnny will be fine either way.  He’ll inherit millions.  How anyone could root for this child is beyond me.  I get that the rich stick to their own, but Christ.  

Good points.  

I don't have any expectation he'll ever make it back to the NFL, and can't bring myself to root for him that way.

I do, however, wish him well in terms of managing or conquering his addiction enough to do something (anything)  positive with his life.  After his college career - he could use his experience and name recognition to do something good for kids or those struggling with addiction if he ever got right and set his mind to it. 
Of course - this  ^  currently seems as unlikely as him signing with the Broncos next week.

I do agree with that NYC.  I hope he overcomes the very serious trial of addiction.  I don’t mean to come off as a prole hating those who’ve had a better chance at success.  But QB demands a certain degree of group think, and I doubt his instincts to care/help people outside himself.  Granted I could be wrong.  That’s football.

(04-10-2018, 10:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 07:40 AM)Deacon Wrote: At some point, the task of learning falls on the student. While a mentor would help him along the way, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't have an idea of what it takes to be an NFL QB. In his statement, he lays out the things that he didn't do and the knowledge that he didn't have. 

Good points.  

My statement was made in reference to him being a better professional, not a better person. I do think and hope that he can be a better person, but at this point in his life it is up to him and him alone. I'm rooting for him to make it.

I am not rooting for him to be back in the League. With the League in general being as short-sighted and long-memoried as they are, I have serious doubts he'll ever get back on a roster.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

As a human being, I hope he finds his purpose in life.

He has rare talent, but doesn't appear to have the drive to hone any craft at all.

I couldn't imagine being so physically talented, and have unlimited resources to give me opportunities few have.

I see a lost child who has everything in front of him and no idea what to do with it all.

Don't confuse this sentiment with sympathy. It's just sad to see so much go to waste.

At his worst, he serves as a cautionary tale and many lessons about purpose, work ethic, and having higher standards for yourself in all facets of life.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-12-2018, 09:30 AM)pirkster Wrote: As a human being, I hope he finds his purpose in life.

He has rare talent, but doesn't appear to have the drive to hone any craft at all.

I couldn't imagine being so physically talented, and have unlimited resources to give me opportunities few have.

I see a lost child who has everything in front of him and no idea what to do with it all.

Don't confuse this sentiment with sympathy.  It's just sad to see so much go to waste.

At his worst, he serves as a cautionary tale and many lessons about purpose, work ethic, and having higher standards for yourself in all facets of life.

That's how i feel for Blackmon who actually seems to be battling some major demons in life. Manziel just cared more about partying than anything else. Kid just needs to grow up, not convinced he has any serious emotional trauma that's causing these problems.

Glad we took BB5

He's not an addict, he's a spoiled brat.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-30-2018, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He's not an addict, he's a spoiled brat.

His parents are rich. He doesn't give a crap about anything.

(04-12-2018, 09:30 AM)pirkster Wrote: As a human being, I hope he finds his purpose in life.

Don't confuse this sentiment with sympathy.  It's just sad to see so much go to waste.

He should have used the Manning brothers as a guide.

I have to say. I listened to the entire interview as it was happening, I think on Dan Patrick's show. This is a severe case of something being taken out of context. Manziel came across as humble and honest throughout the entire interview. It was more about him conceding that he was a bad choice for a draft pick, and had zero to do with him criticizing the Browns organization. He knew he wasn't prepared mentally to be in the NFL and struggled with that. But I guess spinning it into a shot at the Browns thing makes a better story.

I personally don't think any 21-25 year old boy can be addicted to beer. They just clubing like most of us did. When he gets in his 30's, those hangovers start lasting longer. Itll break him them eventually.

(05-12-2018, 08:40 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I personally don't think any 21-25 year old boy can be addicted to beer. They just clubing like most of us did. When he gets in his 30's, those hangovers start lasting longer. Itll break him them eventually.

You clearly have no idea how addiction works. You can be an alcoholic before you drink a drop of alcohol. I had alcohol tendencies before I ever had my first drink.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.