Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL Network: Best QB in the AFC South?

(04-11-2018, 05:55 PM)Jags Wrote: From what I’ve seen, he’s 3rd best....at best.   Come on, we run the ball and play calling itself shows the confidence the team has.   I’m really hoping lye improves and the fixed wrist helps him.  I really want him to succeed.   But I’m calling it now,  we ain’t going to the AFC Championship Game

Don’t be a baby.
(emphasis added)

I can see you not thinking Bortles is not the best in the division.

But what I don't get is your closing statement in bold.

Why do you not think we will get back there?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2018, 06:02 PM by Jags.)

(04-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:55 PM)Jags Wrote: From what I’ve seen, he’s 3rd best....at best.   Come on, we run the ball and play calling itself shows the confidence the team has.   I’m really hoping lye improves and the fixed wrist helps him.  I really want him to succeed.   But I’m calling it now,  we ain’t going to the AFC Championship Game

Don’t be a baby.
(emphasis added)

Mainly because I’m a scorned Jaguar fan.  Secondly, I don’t see Bortles carrying the team if needed.  Third, it’s just freaking hard to do.

I’ll gladly eat the crow if wrong on any of those.

(04-11-2018, 06:02 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: (emphasis added)

Mainly because I’m a scorned Jaguar fan.  Secondly, I don’t see Bortles carrying the team if needed.  Third, it’s just freaking hard to do.

1.  Scorned Jaguars fan?!?  That doesn't sound good, especially for your argument.

2.  Maybe Bortles shouldn't carry the team.  Him not carrying the team got them to within 2:37 of the Super Bowl.

3.  Agree that it's hard to do.  But I think overall, we have a team that can get back there.

(04-11-2018, 06:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 06:02 PM)Jags Wrote: Mainly because I’m a scorned Jaguar fan.  Secondly, I don’t see Bortles carrying the team if needed.  Third, it’s just freaking hard to do.

1.  Scorned Jaguars fan?!?  That doesn't sound good, especially for your argument.

2.  Maybe Bortles shouldn't carry the team.  Him not carrying the team got them to within 2:37 of the Super Bowl.

3.  Agree that it's hard to do.  But I think overall, we have a team that can get back there.

We also were extremely fortunate as regards injuries on defense last year.

(04-11-2018, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Don’t be a baby.
(emphasis added)

I hope we do but I think it is hard to do back to back, patriots do it but they have Belichick and Brady. Also injury bug didnt catch us last year this year could be different. Really if we can run the ball with vs a stacked box consistently that'll help but still will be hard to do.
No Fun

(04-11-2018, 05:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 03:19 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: How is luck easily better if hes healthy? Just because espn and nfl network say he is the second coming does not make it true. His stats when he was heallthy are not much better then BB5. Im just not convinced he is as good as advertised he played against a very week divison his first few seasons.

Luck 5 years                          BB5 4 years

TD -Int     132-68                                     90-64
COMP %    59.2                                         59.1
YARDS     19,078                                      14,928
P RAT.       87.3                                          80.8

Taking your figures at face value Luck has thrown for 42 more TDs and about 4000 more yards missing all of last year.

It's no contest.

Now granted, Bortles has had some bad teams and bad coaching, but just looking at the raw numbers, it's huge advantage Luck.

The question now is if Luck will ever be healthy enough to physically approximate his performance his first four years. 

I doubt he will.
Bortles was drafted 2 years after luck. Luck has 1 more year of stats than Bortles so it's not a stretch to think Bortles could have close to the same tds and yds as Luck if he had 1 more year of production. Ints have been an issue but even so the Comp % is nearly identical. Couple that with Bortles having been sacked more than Luck plays a role. Let's also not forget that 2 of Blake's 4 years he was throwing to nearly all rookies. Luck has had either Reggie Wayne and or Ty Hilton for his whole career and he still has the same % as Bortles.  Bortles may not be better than Luck but Luck is not head over heels better than Bortles. Luck has had injuries so has Bortles, Bortles had one of the worst HCs ever and a new system every year. If Luck gets the excuses about the Dumpster fire he was brought into why doesn't Bortles?
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

1. Andrew Luck
  2. Deshaun Watson
  3. Marcus Mariota
  4. Blake Bortles
  5. Jacoby Brissett
  6. Cody Kessler
  7. Blaine Gabbert
  8. Brandon Weeden
  9. Alex Tanney
  10. Joe Webb
  11. Taylor Heinicke
  12. Brad Kaaya
  13. Tyler Ferguson
  14. Phillip Walker

'02

Don’t be a baby.

Hot take, bro.

Luck continuously carried one of the worst rosters in the league to 11-5 records. When he doesn’t play, they either go 1-15 (year before drafting him) or they have a top 5 pick. Their roster is downright pathetic.

A healthy Luck is close to being a top 5 QB. I love Blake but he’s not on Lucks level talent wise.

With all that said, who knows if Luck will ever be healthy again but the argument was “when healthy.” It’s Luck by a mile.

(04-11-2018, 07:30 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
  1. Andrew Luck
  2. Deshaun Watson
  3. Marcus Mariota
  4. Blake Bortles
  5. Jacoby Brissett
  6. Cody Kessler
  7. Blaine Gabbert
  8. Brandon Weeden
  9. Alex Tanney
  10. Joe Webb
  11. Taylor Heinicke
  12. Brad Kaaya
  13. Tyler Ferguson
  14. Phillip Walker

Mariota and Watson are buns. Bort is a league average QB. Luck is the only above average QB in the division but who knows if he will even be close to the same man he was before the injuries.

I take the #3 QB (BB) and another AFC South title all day, every day.

Mariota is the worst qb in the afc south. Blake would be fairly placed at 2 or 3. The upside of Watson is huge so i could see that giving him the edge. Luck is tbe best by default when healthy.

(04-11-2018, 09:53 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Mariota is the worst qb in the afc south. Blake would be fairly placed at 2 or 3. The upside of Watson is huge so i could see that giving him the edge. Luck is tbe best by default when healthy.

Mariota had a really bad season last year. Let's not act like Blake hasn't had that. Mariota was running the damn Mularkey offense which is hot garbo! He made the playoffs and got canned! His first two seasons were what you expect from a QB.. interesting to see how he responds with the new offense Vrabel's Titans are installing. As a Jags fan I hope he fails, but I don't know if the gap between Mariota and Bortles is as large as you say.

the thing with Watson is he got a lot of tds and big plays on some bigtime jump ball shouldn't have been caught plays by Hopkins. Coming off an injury, weak Oline, and people have tape on him now

There is no certainty that Luck will ever be the player he was.

Mariota is the real question mark to me, sometimes he looks like a savvy vet thats deadly accurate and others he looks like a lost rookie with accuracy issues thats frail and injury prone.

Bortles is a young tough big qb who can run. He has accuracy issues but has steadily improved. He went 3 years without a running game. He has never had a quality receiving TE, and has largely been throwing to undrafted rookies or young injury prone 1st-3rd year Wrs.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

You guys are whiners when the Jaguars don't get recognition by the media.

(04-11-2018, 11:04 PM)realtorpat Wrote: the thing with Watson is he got a lot of tds and big plays on some bigtime jump ball shouldn't have been caught plays by Hopkins.  Coming off an injury, weak Oline, and people have tape on him now

There is no certainty that Luck will ever be the player he was.

Mariota is the real question mark to me, sometimes he looks like a savvy vet thats deadly accurate and others he looks like a lost rookie with accuracy issues thats frail and injury prone.

Bortles is a young tough big qb who can run.  He has accuracy issues but has steadily improved.  He went 3 years without a running game.  He has never had a quality receiving TE, and has largely been throwing to undrafted rookies or young injury prone 1st-3rd year Wrs.

Yeah, I agree with everyone you said here, especially Mariota and Watson. Watson's numbers were stunning, but he didn't win a bunch of games, and (as was a favorite stat to be used against Bortles for years) he has almost as many pick sixes as he has nfl wins. Somehow I doubt we'll hear that one being thrown around on him since he doesn't play in Jacksonville.

Mariota I've never believed in, and I think if the titans significantly change their offense this season everyone will find out it wasn't mularky holding him back, it was his inability holding back what they could do in their offensive game plans.

(04-11-2018, 07:00 PM)AlsJagsFan Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Taking your figures at face value Luck has thrown for 42 more TDs and about 4000 more yards missing all of last year.

It's no contest.

Now granted, Bortles has had some bad teams and bad coaching, but just looking at the raw numbers, it's huge advantage Luck.

The question now is if Luck will ever be healthy enough to physically approximate his performance his first four years. 

I doubt he will.
Bortles was drafted 2 years after luck. Luck has 1 more year of stats than Bortles so it's not a stretch to think Bortles could have close to the same tds and yds as Luck if he had 1 more year of production. Ints have been an issue but even so the Comp % is nearly identical. Couple that with Bortles having been sacked more than Luck plays a role. Let's also not forget that 2 of Blake's 4 years he was throwing to nearly all rookies. Luck has had either Reggie Wayne and or Ty Hilton for his whole career and he still has the same % as Bortles.  Bortles may not be better than Luck but Luck is not head over heels better than Bortles. Luck has had injuries so has Bortles, Bortles had one of the worst HCs ever and a new system every year. If Luck gets the excuses about the Dumpster fire he was brought into why doesn't Bortles?

So Bortles could have had another 40 TDs?  When and how?

Under Bradley?  Pfft.

Under Marrone-with an emphasis on running the ball and no Allen Robinson?

(04-11-2018, 05:03 PM)rufftime Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 03:19 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: How is luck easily better if hes healthy? Just because espn and nfl network say he is the second coming does not make it true. His stats when he was heallthy are not much better then BB5. Im just not convinced he is as good as advertised he played against a very week divison his first few seasons.

Well according to your own data, Blake would have to throw 42 TDs to 4 interceptions next year to catch Luck.  That alone seems like a clear answer if everything else is equal.

(04-11-2018, 05:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Taking your figures at face value Luck has thrown for 42 more TDs and about 4000 more yards missing all of last year.

It's no contest.

I doubt he will.

Luck gets his stats because he throws more than anyone else. Despite missing all of last season, Luck still has 430 more passing attempts. I think Luck is better but his reputation far exceeds his skill, IMO.

Luck is still throwing whiffle balls because his shoulder is broken.

Watson and Mary have the same problem, a slight build, that will make both injury prone throughout their careers.

Bortles has had that nagging injury but he's played anyway.

So, none of the "when healthy" stuff matters, because none of them are, and half might never be again.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM by leopold332002.)

(04-12-2018, 07:21 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:03 PM)rufftime Wrote: Well according to your own data, Blake would have to throw 42 TDs to 4 interceptions next year to catch Luck.  That alone seems like a clear answer if everything else is equal.

(04-11-2018, 05:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Taking your figures at face value Luck has thrown for 42 more TDs and about 4000 more yards missing all of last year.

It's no contest.

I doubt he will.

Luck gets his stats because he throws more than anyone else. Despite missing all of last season, Luck still has 430 more passing attempts. I think Luck is better but his reputation far exceeds his skill, IMO.

You are absolutely right and the reason why that's the case when it comes to the media proclaiming a player's greatness because their job is no longer to be right but to be first on a situation. Andrew Luck was a Prodigy coming out of college with all the prerequisites and his favor on and off the field. So the media gravitated towards that and put him on a pedestal when he truly didn't deserve it. 

People keep saying that he took a 2-14 Indianapolis Colts team to the playoffs but failed to put everything into perspective. For one thing, look at his roster when he took over as the QB for that franchise because he had players such as Reggie Wayne, Ty Hilton, offensive tackle Anthony Costsanzo, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Tommy Harris, Austin Collie, Vontae Davis, Antione Bathea, Coby Fleener, Cory Redding, and Jerry Hughes. 

In addition, let's talk about the quarterbacks and teams he had to play against in the AFC South as well which was a rebuilding Jacksonville Jaguars team with Blaine Gabbert, a rebuilding Tennessee Titans team with Jake Locker and Charlie Whitehurst at QB, and a underachieving Houston Texan team with Pick 6 Matt Schaub at QB so the path was very easy for him during that time. So I think Andrew Luck is over it as well but unlike Blake, the media will make excuses for him because they don't want to feel like their fascination and admiration for a player's career was off base and was wrong on their predictions of said player.

Oh by the way, I got Blake ranked third in the AFC South right now until I know for sure Andrew Luck's health and how DeShaun Watson reacts once teams truly have film on him.
[Image: giphy.gif]