Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft rumors

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM by pirkster.)

That's like saying don't draft Darnold because USC.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-13-2018, 01:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 12:57 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Cherry picking those three games make me think you're looking at a game log of stats and didn't really watch him. If you watched any of his games you'd know instantly that he is special. His Barry Sanders like agility and ability to make yards o  his own without any help is the best I've ever seen.

I saw more Penn State games last year then I cared to. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I didn't watch him. I tend not to buy into media hype regarding players and judge them by what I see, instead. Keep in mind that 3 of the 50 biggest draft busts in NFL history have been Penn State RB's (Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas and Curtis Enis.)
Credibility is lost when you make comments like this.

It means nothing when talking about Barkley.

(04-13-2018, 12:57 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Cherry picking those three games make me think you're looking at a game log of stats and didn't really watch him. If you watched any of his games you'd know instantly that he is special. His Barry Sanders like agility and ability to make yards o  his own without any help is the best I've ever seen.

I saw more Penn State games last year then I cared to. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I didn't watch him. I tend not to buy into media hype regarding players and judge them by what I see, instead. Keep in mind that 3 of the 50 biggest draft busts in NFL history have been Penn State RB's (Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas and Curtis Enis.)

I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously on this. Maybe you're just trying to be contrarian, but saquon was a high profile guy before the media even started talking about him.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status...57312?s=19
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(04-13-2018, 02:31 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status...57312?s=19
Cowboys will certainly be in the market even more so now.

Sutton, Ridley, Washington, and Moore. The WR run could happen quick.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 03:58 PM by Bullseye.)

I believe a school's history of producing successful/unsuccessful players at a position or overall can be instructive to some extent.

When there is schematic/coaching continuity over time, you can get a sense in what type of players that program wants in a position.  It's interesting that for as long as Penn State was a national power under Paterno, they never produced any defensive backs worth anything in the NFL.  Outside of Bill Rowe, their defensive linemen typically sucked in the NFL.  Yet, Penn State got the reputation as being "Linebacker University," because they have produced a plethora of outstanding NFL linebackers.  Penn State has also produced a number of outstanding fullbacks and interior OLs.  I believe coaches/programs have a paradigm of what they look for in a player at a given position, and how they are to coach those players.  Those paradigms may or may not be conducive to a productive NFL career.

I think recruiting/traditions also play a role in what schools produce what players at which positions.  You don't think a coach recruiting a T prospect to USC wouldn't point to noteworthy USC alums like Anthony Munoz, Bruce Matthews, Tony Boselli and Tyron Smith and tell that young prospect that could be him?  I'm pretty sure UGA points to Georgia's history of producing stud RBs like Herschel Walker, Rodney Hampton and Terrell Davis in trying to convince the next group of runners to come to the school.
I think this tends to work in the opposite direction as well.  If a school does not have a great history of producing NFL players, they certainly can't use that to their advantage in getting many players. 

Is a player coming from a school with a long history of producing players at his position guaranteed to succeed in the NFL?  No.  Is a player coming from a school without a history of producing stud players guaranteed to fail in the NFL?  No.  But I submit the school/program can be a guide or one of several factors.

I do not think I would hold those three busts against Penn State or against Barkley.  First, before those guys washed out in the NFL, Penn State produced very talented and productive NFL RBs, most notably Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell and Curt Warner.  Secondly, I think Ki-Jana Carter had all of the tools to make it in the NFL.  He went to a bad team with a bad offensive line and blew out his knee immediately.  Curtis Enis and Blair Thomas?  Maybe they were destined to bust.  But then after those guys, Penn State broke that string of busts with Larry Johnson who had some good years with the Chiefs.  Barkley has wiggle and change of direction that none of those Penn State runners have had since Warner.  He has the burst that Enis and Thomas never had, but also has the size to be a feature back.

(04-13-2018, 02:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 02:31 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status...57312?s=19

Yes it could.

In the mid to late first round, you have Arizona, Baltimore, Dallas, Buffalo, Tennessee and Jacksonville all with needs at WR.

I don't think all of those teams definitely will go WR in the first, but it should come as a shock to nobody to see any of these teams going WR in the first.

I know I don't want Moore, based upon what I have seen.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-12-2018, 11:42 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'd put my money on Darnold going to them. Think the Allen stuff is just noise to amp up the QB market even more.

That's basically what I'm thinking, but then I think...

"Well, it is the Browns."

If any team is going to royally screw the pooch, it's the Browns.

Courtland is the only WR in the draft that I really, REALLY want, and I would totally take him at #29 over anyone else.
'02

(04-13-2018, 04:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Courtland is the only WR in the draft that I really, REALLY want, and I would totally take him at #29 over anyone else.

Any other receiver or any other player likely to be at #29?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-13-2018, 04:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 04:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Any other receiver or any other player likely to be at #29?

For the Jaguars, I feel he's a perfect fit and will dominate downfield. I think he'll be better than ARob. I'm not even sure any other WR will beat out Moncrief.

And yeah I'd take him over any OL including my top OLs Isaiah Wynn and Conner Williams, over my top TEs Dallas Godert and Gesicki, over my top possibly available QB Lamar Jackson, and over my top SLB Vander Esch. 

'02

(04-13-2018, 04:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 04:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Any other receiver or any other player likely to be at #29?

I'm not even sure any other WR will beat out Moncrief.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/ar...owns-game/

I think you'd like that read. Harmon's reception perception is what unearthed Arob as a gem years ago, and put Matt on the map and road to ultimately leading NFL.com's NGS.

(04-13-2018, 04:16 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 04:08 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
I'm not even sure any other WR will beat out Moncrief.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/ar...owns-game/

I think you'd like that read. Harmon's reception perception is what unearthed Arob as a gem years ago, and put Matt on the map and road to ultimately leading NFL.com's NGS.

St. Brown's height-speed ratio stood out to me at the combine, but I can't help but think he'd be a reach at #29 but probably doesn't quite make it to the end of round two. 
'02

If Ridley wouldn't be a reach at 29 then neither would St. Brown. I'm not necessarily saying I'd pick St. Brown at 29 either, just that it would be every bit as good of a pick in that range as Ridley would be...and for the needs of our WR corps it would be an even better pick IMO.

(04-13-2018, 04:27 PM)Upper Wrote: If Ridley wouldn't be a reach at 29 then neither would St. Brown. I'm not necessarily saying I'd pick St. Brown at 29 either, just that it would be every bit as good of a pick in that range as Ridley would be...and for the needs of our WR corps it would be an even better pick IMO.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if the Jaguars took him there.
'02

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 06:42 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-13-2018, 01:42 PM)pirkster Wrote: That's like saying don't draft Darnold because USC.

Carson Palmer was a pretty good NFL QB with a long NFL career. He's what I think of when I see USC QB. You have to go all the way back to Curt Warner to find a Penn State RB who was consistently good in the NFL. Larry Johnson had two monster NFL seasons and then came crashing down to earth the rest of his career, never again reaching 1,000 yards in a season.

(04-13-2018, 01:45 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 01:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I saw more Penn State games last year then I cared to. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean I didn't watch him. I tend not to buy into media hype regarding players and judge them by what I see, instead. Keep in mind that 3 of the 50 biggest draft busts in NFL history have been Penn State RB's (Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas and Curtis Enis.)
Credibility is lost when you make comments like this.

It means nothing when talking about Barkley.

I find this rather ironic, since a lot of people on this board have a systematic bias against Big 12 QB's.

(04-13-2018, 02:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

ESPN reported a couple of weeks ago that the Cowboys had met with Sutton several times and are extremely high on him. I could easily see them selecting him in round 1.

(04-13-2018, 06:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 01:42 PM)pirkster Wrote: That's like saying don't draft Darnold because USC.

Carson Palmer was a pretty good NFL QB with a long NFL career. He's what I think of when I see USC QB. You have to go all the way back to Curt Warner to find a Penn State RB who was consistently good in the NFL. Larry Johnson had two monster NFL seasons and then came crashing down to earth the rest of his career, never again reaching 1,000 yards in a season.

You're not helping yourself.

Carson is the one and only one, and not typical of what USC produces.

Yet, that has nothing to do with Darnold.

Ditto Barkley and those who came before him at PSU.

The mental gymnastics you're using to try to back your argument are quite impressive and fun to watch, though.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Chris Mortenson is reporting that John Dorsey hasn’t told a single person which player he’s taking at #1.

So all these reports about Allen have no substance. No one knows what’s happening at 1.

(04-13-2018, 06:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 02:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Cowboys will certainly be in the market even more so now.

ESPN reported a couple of weeks ago that the Cowboys had met with Sutton several times and are extremely high on him. I could easily see them selecting him in round 1.

I can see that as well unless Vita Vea is there. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-13-2018, 06:57 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 06:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Carson Palmer was a pretty good NFL QB with a long NFL career. He's what I think of when I see USC QB. You have to go all the way back to Curt Warner to find a Penn State RB who was consistently good in the NFL. Larry Johnson had two monster NFL seasons and then came crashing down to earth the rest of his career, never again reaching 1,000 yards in a season.

You're not helping yourself.

The mental gymnastics you're using to try to back your argument are quite impressive and fun to watch, though.

I guess we will see after the season which one of us is right. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but if I'm right, I'll let you know it.  Big Grin

(04-13-2018, 07:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Chris Mortenson is reporting that John Dorsey hasn’t told a single person which player he’s taking at #1.

So all these reports about Allen have no substance. No one knows what’s happening at 1.

One thing is for sure, if the past is any indicator, they're sure to screw it up. #BrownsbeingBrowns

(04-13-2018, 08:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 06:57 PM)pirkster Wrote: You're not helping yourself.

I guess we will see after the season which one of us is right. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but if I'm right, I'll let you know it.  Big Grin

(04-13-2018, 07:18 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Chris Mortenson is reporting that John Dorsey hasn’t told a single person which player he’s taking at #1.

One thing is for sure, if the past is any indicator, they're sure to screw it up. #BrownsbeingBrowns

I mean even if Barkley busts it's not gonna be because of Penn State's RB draft history. We can rule that out right now.

(04-13-2018, 08:14 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 08:09 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I guess we will see after the season which one of us is right. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but if I'm right, I'll let you know it.  Big Grin

I mean even if Barkley busts it's not gonna be because of Penn State's RB draft history. We can rule that out right now.

So that should mean all talk of Mason Rudolph being a potential bust should be shut down due to people citing he comes from the Big 12, where QB's have not panned out as expected, right?