Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft rumors

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180...ll-signing

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-17-2018, 08:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 08:38 AM)Markulous Wrote: Only reason they are moving up in the first round a significant amount is for a QB, much like Kansas City did last year. I can see maybe moving up a couple picks if Hernandez or Wynn was there and the cost was peanuts, but that's it really.
I agree that it will be for a QB but the big 4 are not falling to 20. Which leaves Rudolph and Jackson. Are they really going to mortgage the future for a QB who may also fall to 29? I sure hope not.

Wynn, Hernandez, Daniels, McGlinchey, Williams... That's 5 players who all have the chance to be available at 29. I hope the Jags either stand pat or trade with the Browns for their 2 2nd rounders.

Obviously they would only move up because they think one of those QBs won't be there and they see them as a franchise guy that will take over for Bortles in a year or two.  If that's not the case, they won't move up.

Do they have all of those lineman graded similarly?  If so, then yes I agree, just stand pat.  If not, then like I said maybe they move up a couple spots for very little equity, but otherwise they will unlikely move up for a non-QB in the first.

The forthcoming obvious statement is probably obvious, but I'm gonna state it anyway; you don't trade up for Offensive Linemen unless they are truly special, and I really don't see any 'special' types along the OL with the exception of Nelson and I wouldn't even trade up for him. You trade up for Impact Players. QBs, DEs and the like.

If the team is looking to trade up, I'm betting that they are looking for a high profile type, not a converted OT.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018, 09:48 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Markulous

Only reason they are moving up in the first round a significant amount is for a QB, much like Kansas City did last year. I can see maybe moving up a couple picks if Hernandez or Wynn was there and the cost was peanuts, but that's it really.

But of the group of teams between us and Detroit, who appears to be in the market for a first round QB?

21.  Cincinnati-Wouldn't appear to make sense for them at this point.  If they were, they would have stayed at 12.  This year is shaping up as Marvin Lewis' last hurrah

22.  Buffalo-Yes, but they are now in Cincy's former position at 12, and could package this pick to move up.  Any team in the top 5 that would trade back with Buffalo wouldn't be interested in QB at whatever pick they trade, otherwise they would use that pick for a QB instead of dealing back.

23.  New England-Possibly needs Brady's replacement. 

24.  Carolina-No

25.  Tennessee-No

26.  Atlanta-No

27.  New Orleans-possibly needs Brees' replacement

28.  Pittsburgh-possibly needs BigBen's replacement

Arguably, since New England was just in the Super Bowl and New Orleans and Pittsburgh were in the playoffs, they could eschew a QB for a guy who meets a more immediate need to maybe push them over the hump.  For instance, New Orleans could draft one of the young TEs, or Pittsburgh could bolster their run defense.   But assuming all three are legitimate threats to draft a QB, Jacksonville may not have to go all the way to 20.  Besides, if New England were truly interested in a QB, perhaps they package some picks to move up, possibly ahead of Arizona.

Somehow, if the Detroit talk has any validity, I don't think it's for a QB.

(04-17-2018, 09:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
Quote:Markulous

Only reason they are moving up in the first round a significant amount is for a QB, much like Kansas City did last year. I can see maybe moving up a couple picks if Hernandez or Wynn was there and the cost was peanuts, but that's it really.

But of the group of teams between us and Detroit, who appears to be in the market for a first round QB?

21.  Cincinnati-Wouldn't appear to make sense for them at this point.  If they were, they would have stayed at 12.  This year is shaping up as Marvin Lewis' last hurrah

22.  Buffalo-Yes, but they are now in Cincy's former position at 12, and could package this pick to move up.  Any team in the top 5 that would trade back with Buffalo wouldn't be interested in QB at whatever pick they trade, otherwise they would use that pick for a QB instead of dealing back.

23.  New England-Possibly needs Brady's replacement. 

24.  Carolina-No

25.  Tennessee-No

26.  Atlanta-No

27.  New Orleans-possibly needs Brees' replacement

28.  Pittsburgh-possibly needs BigBen's replacement

Arguably, since New England was just in the Super Bowl and New Orleans and Pittsburgh were in the playoffs, they could eschew a QB for a guy who meets a more immediate need to maybe push them over the hump.  For instance, New Orleans could draft one of the young TEs, or Pittsburgh could bolster their run defense.   But assuming all three are legitimate threats to draft a QB, Jacksonville may not have to go all the way to 20.  Besides, if New England were truly interested in a QB, perhaps they package some picks to move up, possibly ahead of Arizona.

Somehow, if the Detroit talk has any validity, I don't think it's for a QB.

I would guess New England.  Lots of rumors of them wanting a QB and Brady still has a year or two left, so someone like Jackson could be groomed.

(04-17-2018, 09:42 AM)Deacon Wrote: The forthcoming obvious statement is probably obvious, but I'm gonna state it anyway; you don't trade up for Offensive Linemen unless they are truly special, and I really don't see any 'special' types along the OL with the exception of Nelson and I wouldn't even trade up for him. You trade up for Impact Players. QBs, DEs and the like.

If the team is looking to trade up, I'm betting that they are looking for a high profile type, not a converted OT.

I don't understand the rationale of not trading up for an OL.

Nobody here is categorically opposed to drafting an OL in the first round.  Over the years, I've seen countless sentiments expressed that you should never draft a RB or a WR in the first round but rarely have I seen people argue that a team should never draft OL in the first.  To the best of my recollection, only myself and KYJaggy (?) ever came anywhere near that sentiment.

So if a team should consider drafting an OL in the first, why not trade up for the guy you want?

I don’t know what they have in mind, but isn’t a trade up with a team like the Lions something you usually do once the draft is running? When you have a better idea what is available and how the draft is working out?

Unless you know how the first 19 picks will work out, it could end up being a pointless move up (either because the player or players you want are taken or because they are all falling to 29).

I do believe there are more big trades to come though.

Just hope the Patriots aren’t allowed to grab Brady II. We don’t want them dominating the NFL for another decade.

(04-17-2018, 10:18 AM)Andy G Wrote: I don’t know what they have in mind, but isn’t a trade up with a team like the Lions something you usually do once the draft is running? When you have a better idea what is available and how the draft is working out?

Unless you know how the first 19 picks will work out, it could end up being a pointless move up (either because the player or players you want are taken or because they are all falling to 29).

I do believe there are more big trades to come though.

Just hope the Patriots aren’t allowed to grab Brady II.  We don’t want them dominating the NFL for another decade.

This is why I do not believe there is anything substantive to this.

Might the Jaguars and Lions kicked around the idea of a trade?

Sure, but teams kick around trade possibilities all the time before the draft.

I will say if they did have talks, then Detroit likely leaked the information to drum up demand for the pick.

This is all setting up to be the most exciting draft in years.

6 QBs likely to go in the first and how many of them can we pinpoint what teams are gonna pick them?

The QBs are certainly the story.

Which is ironic, since I'm not sure they're going to hold water to the QB classes they're being compared to.

What's also interesting is that without them, this would have probably been one of the most boring drafts. It appears to be a very weak draft in nearly every other aspect outside the QB intrigue.

Day 1 will certainly be something to watch. Beyond that, I'm not so sure... unless day 1 trades or rumors spilling into day 2 breathe life into it.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM by Deacon.)

(04-17-2018, 09:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 09:42 AM)Deacon Wrote: The forthcoming obvious statement is probably obvious, but I'm gonna state it anyway; you don't trade up for Offensive Linemen unless they are truly special, and I really don't see any 'special' types along the OL with the exception of Nelson and I wouldn't even trade up for him. You trade up for Impact Players. QBs, DEs and the like.

I don't understand the rationale of not trading up for an OL.

Nobody here is categorically opposed to drafting an OL in the first round.  Over the years, I've seen countless sentiments expressed that you should never draft a RB or a WR in the first round but rarely have I seen people argue that a team should never draft OL in the first.  To the best of my recollection, only myself and KYJaggy (?) ever came anywhere near that sentiment.

So if a team should consider drafting an OL in the first, why not trade up for the guy you want?

I make that statement because I believe more in the value of the draft than I do any one player. What I mean is that while I do believe that there are players out there that are better than two or even three players in total, I believe that those types are few and far between.

Let's say that a trade you are proposing will cost you a Second Round pick this year, and a First next year. To me, that means that you are saying that the player you are trying to get is worth two additional starting level players. How many of those guys are even in the League now? Maybe four or five QBs? a WR? Two or three DEs? Yes, it's good to have conviction that the player you want is going to be a good player, but what is it really costing your team in terms of long-term production? And is there any OL in this draft that is worth two starters four years from now? From my perspective their isn't.

The Draft is the best and easiest way to add top tier talent to your roster; use it wisely.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Rumors are now swirling that Rosen will fall out of the top 5.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(04-18-2018, 09:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: Rumors are now swirling that Rosen will fall out of the top 5.

If he slid to say like..... 11 and you were the jaguars would you make the move to get him?

I would do it. I think he's the best QB in this draft. But that's just me haha
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(04-18-2018, 10:08 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 09:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: Rumors are now swirling that Rosen will fall out of the top 5.

If he slid to say like..... 11 and you were the jaguars would you make the move to get him?

We don't have the ammo to get him if he did fall that far.

(04-18-2018, 10:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 10:08 PM)Achilles Wrote: If he slid to say like..... 11 and you were the jaguars would you make the move to get him?

Our first and second with next year's first would suffice.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(04-18-2018, 10:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 10:08 PM)Achilles Wrote: If he slid to say like..... 11 and you were the jaguars would you make the move to get him?

It would probably cost a 1/2/3 this year and handful of high future picks but it could be done.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I think Rosen is at worst the 3rd QB off the board.

Probably goes at 4/5/6 to some team.

I think oneof the top 5 QBs are going to fall out of the top 15. Just not sure who.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018, 02:57 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-18-2018, 11:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think Rosen is at worst the 3rd QB off the board.

Agreed. I believe Denver likes him more than Allen, from everything I've read. He and John Elway have similar personalities.

(04-19-2018, 12:26 AM)Dimson Wrote: I think oneof the top 5 QBs are going to fall out of the top 15. Just not sure who.

I don't see any of them falling passed 12, but if they do, I believe it will be Allen. I just can't see the logic in drafting him so high, when he has major accuracy issues and showed little to no improvement during his college career. IMO, he has "bust" written all over him.

(04-19-2018, 02:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 11:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think Rosen is at worst the 3rd QB off the board.

Agreed. I believe Denver likes him more than Allen, from everything I've read. He and John Elway have similar personalities.

(04-19-2018, 12:26 AM)Dimson Wrote: I think oneof the top 5 QBs are going to fall out of the top 15. Just not sure who.

I don't see any of them falling passed 12, but if they do, I believe it will be Allen. I just can't see the logic in drafting him so high, when he has major accuracy issues and showed little to no improvement during his college career. IMO, he has "bust" written all over him.

Honestly I'm not sure I'd even pick Allen if he were available at 29