Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is the Most Irreplaceable Player on this Team?

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018, 10:32 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(04-23-2018, 10:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:50 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: I agree with you but I guess I don't consider quarterback as a need like you. Can the quarterback position on our team be upgraded? Yes but you can say that about a lot of franchises because unless a team has Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees or Russell Wilson then all of the other quarterbacks I did not mention can use an upgrade as well. However, I do think Blake Bortles is good enough to win with and many other teams would wish to have a quarterback that's good enough to men with as well.

Is Blake Bortles good enough to win with? yes. Is Blake Bortles good enough to win a Superbowl with. No. I just want someone who gives us a chance at a championship and I don't believe that is Bortles. I believe he is good enough to get us to the playoffs (obviously), but I don't wanna just be a playoff team. I want a championship and to me, Bortles is the equivalent of Andy Dalton.

I don't understand this line of thinking. We were minutes away from the SB, Blake did not lose that game. We were there because of him, not in spite of him.

In one trip to the playoffs, he has more playoff wins that Dalton has in like 5. 

We absolutely can win a SB with Blake. He was great in the playoffs last year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-23-2018, 10:31 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 10:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Is Blake Bortles good enough to win with? yes. Is Blake Bortles good enough to win a Superbowl with. No. I just want someone who gives us a chance at a championship and I don't believe that is Bortles. I believe he is good enough to get us to the playoffs (obviously), but I don't wanna just be a playoff team. I want a championship and to me, Bortles is the equivalent of Andy Dalton.

I don't understand this line of thinking. We were minutes away from the SB, Blake did not lose that game. We were there because of him, not in spite of him.

In one trip to the playoffs, he has more playoff wins that Dalton has in like 5. 

Just for a little playoff perspective here, Blake was kind-of bad vs the bills actually, good in part of the game vs the steelers, solid against the pats.  I don't think we were there in spite of him, but saying we were there because of him feels wrong as well. We were there because he added just enough contribution to the outstanding play of the defense to get us there. That's not really "because of him."

He missed on some throws in that NE game and I'm not sure why so many are willing to completely sweep that under the rug. The NE game was not a bad performance, but it's not one that puts your team over the top in any way. It's one that you can win with if your run game and defense dominate. 

The run and the defense faltered in the second half of that game though - which left it to Blake to win in a last ditch effort. 
He came up short on the throw to Westbrook. 
It would have been an amazing, aMAZing, pass had he led Westbrook properly there - I realize that. They'd still be looping it on ESPN and we'd all have the gif in our signatures.
But it was indeed short. Westbrook had to wait on it and it gave the defender time to make a very athletic play on the ball. Call it micro-analysis if you want ,but that's exactly what happened. 

That play, the struggles in wild card week, and the number of just plain inaccurate passes on the whole season are the reasons why so many have him firmly entrenched in the mid-tier group of QBs ( and some still see him as less than that.) 

Personally, I think the guy can still take another step forward in development, but I don't think he was "great" in the playoffs. That's a bit of a stretch to me. 

I do agree that we could win a SB with him. He'll need to take that step forward though, the run game will need to be even better, and the defense will need to stay on pace. Hopefully that's not asking too much. 

All of that said - without spending big in early FA (too late) or trading away the farm for a top pick, he'd be very hard to replace in 2018.

(04-22-2018, 10:44 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 09:42 PM)wrong_box Wrote: ok then...lets say quarter 1 first game of the year, Bortles has a season ending injury who will you replace him with? Granted we are a run first team, but we are not a run only team...We will have to pass fairly often in every game...The reason we still have Bortles is that there wasn't an upgrade available

It's easy to forget that Blake Bortles has 511 pass attempts last year which was 11th in the NFL overall. Yes we are a run-first team but we only ran the ball 523 times so it made our offense well-balanced big picture.

(04-22-2018, 11:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 10:44 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
People fail to forget
that Blake Bortles has 511 pass attempts last year which was 11th in the NFL overall. Yes we are a run-first team but we only ran the ball 523 times so it made our offense well-balanced big picture.

[Image: giphy.gif]
ok so as for my question if he were to go down with a season ending injury in the first game, who would you replace him with (since he is easily replacable)?

(04-23-2018, 12:14 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 09:42 PM)wrong_box Wrote: ok then...lets say quarter 1 first game of the year, Bortles has a season ending injury who will you replace him with? Granted we are a run first team, but we are not a run only team...We will have to pass fairly often in every game...The reason we still have Bortles is that there wasn't an upgrade available
I'm not saying first quarter. Again, QB is the most important position for EVERY single team.  Important doesn't mean replaceable. There were options in FA and there's options in the draft to replace Bortles. There's only a couple CBs in the world on Ramsey's stratosphere. Ramsey is irreplaceable. No options can be had to replace him. Only options would require absurd compensation. TBH, Kessler can probably do Bortles job just fine. Hand off the ball and run RPO. Yeah... totally irreplaceable...

The Jaguars looked in Fa, cousins was too expensive and not much of an upgrade, Breeze wasn't going to leave the Saints, there really wasn't a clear upgrade...If you NEED to replace Bortles due to injury, the draft isn't going to help except for the following year, finding an upgrade to Bortles that is at home sitting on his couch waiting for his phone to ring, is probably not going to be much help, Kessler will have to throw too...IDK why people just say oh he can handoff just fine when you know we can't do it every single play...There were many times last year we had to pass because we couldn't move the ball on the ground, so whoever would take Bortles place would have to throw quite a bit...After the draft, and after the season started, who would you replace Bortles with due to injury  (since he's easily replaced)?

(04-23-2018, 12:45 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 10:44 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: It's easy to forget that Blake Bortles has 511 pass attempts last year which was 11th in the NFL overall. Yes we are a run-first team but we only ran the ball 523 times so it made our offense well-balanced big picture.

(04-22-2018, 11:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]
ok so as for my question if he were to go down with a season ending injury in the first game, who would you replace him with (since he is easily replacable)?

Read the post above this one. I clearly state that Bortles' 2017 performance would be tough to replace right now. 

They would have had to spend big early in free agency or they'd have to trade away several picks to move up for a QB that might still need a year to develop. 

He may be a mid-tier QB in the NFL, but there aren't exactly dozens of those lying around to choose from at the moment.

(04-23-2018, 12:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 12:45 PM)wrong_box Wrote: ok so as for my question if he were to go down with a season ending injury in the first game, who would you replace him with (since he is easily replacable)?

Read the post above this one. I clearly state that Bortles' 2017 performance would be tough to replace right now. 

They would have had to spend big early in free agency or they'd have to trade away several picks to move up for a QB that might still need a year to develop. 

He may be a mid-tier QB in the NFL, but there aren't exactly dozens of those lying around to choose from at the moment.

Did you see what Sam Bradford just got in FA? I'm pretty pleased we got Blake for what we did

"He may be a mid-tier QB in the NFL, but there aren't exactly dozens of those lying around to choose from at the moment."

The quote above is exactly why Blake Bortles is extremely important. If you think we should find a replacement because he is not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, it is not realistic to just try and find that on command. Again, there are less than 32 human beings on planet earth that can run an NFL offense sufficiently. We currently have one, and we should all be very excited about that.

(04-23-2018, 01:01 PM)JNev Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 12:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Read the post above this one. I clearly state that Bortles' 2017 performance would be tough to replace right now. 

Did you see what Sam Bradford just got in FA? I'm pretty pleased we got Blake for what we did

I think it was a smart move, Blake's extension. It buys them time to find an upgrade and also affords him a chance to show whether he'll live up to his draft pick.

(04-23-2018, 12:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 12:45 PM)wrong_box Wrote: ok so as for my question if he were to go down with a season ending injury in the first game, who would you replace him with (since he is easily replacable)?

yeah my first quote contained 2 posts, my second contained just yours (which wasnt the one I intended) more coffee is required...I was referring to the post which said he was easily replaced...My question is who would you replace him with AFTER FA, AFTER the draft, AFTER the season started but no one has an answer, they just keep saying FA,Draft, or trade...

(04-23-2018, 01:15 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 12:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Read the post above this one. I clearly state that Bortles' 2017 performance would be tough to replace right now. 

yeah my first quote contained 2 posts, my second contained just yours (which wasnt the one I intended) more coffee is required...I was referring to the post which said he was easily replaced...My question is who would you replace him with AFTER FA, AFTER the draft, AFTER the season started but no one has an answer, they just keep saying FA,Draft, or trade...
I don't know. I never said he was easily replaced. I'm sure a few other posters will have opinions on that - Kessler or a draft pick being among the answers you're likely to get.

(04-23-2018, 01:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 01:15 PM)wrong_box Wrote: yeah my first quote contained 2 posts, my second contained just yours (which wasnt the one I intended) more coffee is required...I was referring to the post which said he was easily replaced...My question is who would you replace him with AFTER FA, AFTER the draft, AFTER the season started but no one has an answer, they just keep saying FA,Draft, or trade...
I don't know. I never said he was easily replaced. I'm sure a few other posters will have opinions on that - Kessler or a draft pick being among the answers you're likely to get.

yeah all I got was Kessler could hand off good enuff as if that is all there is to it

(04-23-2018, 12:57 PM)wrong_box Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 12:14 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I'm not saying first quarter. Again, QB is the most important position for EVERY single team.  Important doesn't mean replaceable. There were options in FA and there's options in the draft to replace Bortles. There's only a couple CBs in the world on Ramsey's stratosphere. Ramsey is irreplaceable. No options can be had to replace him. Only options would require absurd compensation. TBH, Kessler can probably do Bortles job just fine. Hand off the ball and run RPO. Yeah... totally irreplaceable...

The Jaguars looked in Fa, cousins was too expensive and not much of an upgrade, Breeze wasn't going to leave the Saints, there really wasn't a clear upgrade...If you NEED to replace Bortles due to injury, the draft isn't going to help except for the following year, finding an upgrade to Bortles that is at home sitting on his couch waiting for his phone to ring, is probably not going to be much help, Kessler will have to throw too...IDK why people just say oh he can handoff just fine when you know we can't do it every single play...There were many times last year we had to pass because we couldn't move the ball on the ground, so whoever would take Bortles place would have to throw quite a bit...After the draft, and after the season started, who would you replace Bortles with due to injury  (since he's easily replaced)?
They may not be cost friendly, but they are options. Name a single option from FA or draft that could replace Ramsey? Can't. Only Rhodes , Peterson, and maybe Lattimore can do what Ramsey can. Again... Blake is the most important. Just like Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, and AJ McCarron are. Are they irreplaceable just because they are the current #1 QB? No. They are not lol. Likely to be "replaced" in the draft, and if not.. guess what? They are the most important player on their teams for success.  QBs that are irreplaceable are guys like Rodgers. You ain't replacing that man. When week 1 starts and Bortles goes down ofcourse he can't be replaced as that point. My point is given an off-season to do so.. he could have been.. expensive options in FA or draft... they are still options. Ramsey is a generational talent. That's just a fact.

(04-23-2018, 10:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:23 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: Was that necessary? However, I made the necessary adjustments to my last post so I hope it makes your satisfaction sir because the last thing I want or deserve is the moderator to be constantly ridiculing me.

It's just a joke. Lighten up and laugh at yourself for a second when you type something silly like that. It will be OK. 
I'm not ridiculing you. I'm just having a chuckle. 

BTW - I'm on record saying that Bortles may be tough to replace in 2018 in this thread. Maybe not "the toughest to replace" but tough. I've also informed other posters numerous times in various threads about his pass attempt numbers when they diminish his contribution in 2017. So - I'm kind-of on your side a bit here.

My bad and my apologies for overreacting to your post but it's hard to know someone's  intention based on how others operate on this message board forum. Based on how some of these people on here operate it's hard to tell if someone is being light-hearted or a jerk overall. For now on I will now take your post with a grain of salt instead of just being defensive thinking that you were trying to attack me.

(04-23-2018, 04:31 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 10:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's just a joke. Lighten up and laugh at yourself for a second when you type something silly like that. It will be OK. 
I'm not ridiculing you. I'm just having a chuckle. 

BTW - I'm on record saying that Bortles may be tough to replace in 2018 in this thread. Maybe not "the toughest to replace" but tough. I've also informed other posters numerous times in various threads about his pass attempt numbers when they diminish his contribution in 2017. So - I'm kind-of on your side a bit here.

My bad and my apologies for overreacting to your post but it's hard to know someone's  intention based on how others operate on this message board forum. Based on how some of these people on here operate it's hard to tell if someone is being light-hearted or a jerk overall. For now on I will now take your post with a grain of salt instead of just being defensive thinking that you were trying to attack me.
All good. And that's a good way to take my posts. Just here to talk Jags football and have a laugh occasionally. I don't care to personally insult anyone unless they are really begging for it.  Defending Bortles and mis-typing a turn of phrase won't earn you that from me.

No one. End thread.

(04-23-2018, 10:31 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 10:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Is Blake Bortles good enough to win with? yes. Is Blake Bortles good enough to win a Superbowl with. No. I just want someone who gives us a chance at a championship and I don't believe that is Bortles. I believe he is good enough to get us to the playoffs (obviously), but I don't wanna just be a playoff team. I want a championship and to me, Bortles is the equivalent of Andy Dalton.

I don't understand how you can't see he's the weak link on this team. I guess we can agree to disagree.

(04-23-2018, 04:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:31 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: My bad and my apologies for overreacting to your post but it's hard to know someone's  intention based on how others operate on this message board forum. Based on how some of these people on here operate it's hard to tell if someone is being light-hearted or a jerk overall. For now on I will now take your post with a grain of salt instead of just being defensive thinking that you were trying to attack me.
All good. And that's a good way to take my posts. Just here to talk Jags football and have a laugh occasionally. I don't care to personally insult anyone unless they are really begging for it.  Defending Bortles and mis-typing a turn of phrase won't earn you that from me.
That's understandable and now I know how you move I would not take any offense to your post anymore.

It's easily Fournette and it's not even close.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM by Nashville.Dave.)

Tom Coughlin. 0-5 vs the tacks last 5 games with jags

(04-23-2018, 05:42 PM)haveaseat Wrote: It's easily Fournette and it's not even close.

The Jags have already won multiple games without him since he was drafted.