Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Raiders Game

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 01:05 PM by Bullseye.)

Please allow me to preface by providing fair warning to those who insist upon positivity in reading Jaguars related message board posts.  This board has a long tradition of Stepford Fans.  If you fall within this group that is categorically averse to negative postings regarding the Jaguars, I urge you to close this window now.  You have been given notice that you will not like what is to follow from me.  In fact, I suspect before long, a mod may be tempted to delete this posting.

I continue my preface to the readers by asserting the following guarantees.  I harbor no Raider antipathies, towards the team or the fans.  I have no obnoxious Raider fan buddy who would make my life hell because of this game.  I had nothing wagered on this game.  In fact, in the AFC South Forum, I predicted we'd lose this game.  There is nothing in my life outside of football that would cause me to lash out in anger.  I have no relationship issues, no abnormal stressors.  I do not drink, and I am not otherwise under the influence of any rage inducing substances.  What follows in this post is borne purely of the performance from today's game, and the perspective of a season ticket holder since 1995.

Finally, I feel compelled to apologize for the inadequacies of this post, though in fairness to me, I have a daunting task ahead.  A team of William Shakespeares working in three eight hour shifts working twenty four hours a day could not adequately convey the angst, revulsion and disgust stemming from this game.  Call me a bibber or self soiler if you must, place me in the category of the torch and pitchfork crowd, dismiss me as a Nattering Nabob of Negativism.  This catharsis must have life, even if brief in this forum.

During my tenure as a football fan in general and a STH for the Jaguars, I have seen some bad displays of football.  I have encountered the crushing disappointment of the AFCC game of 1999 and the morale draining seasons since 2008.  But this game marks the first time I have felt insulted by a Jaguars performance, the first time I have felt watching the team constituted a waste of time.  At least with the 44-0 loss to Detroit, qnd the 41-3 home loss to the Bears, solace could be had in the knowledge that this team was in the very beginnng stages of the franchise  in the former case, and the latter was the culmination of Gene Smith's failed rebuild.  This current roster has no such excuse for such a horrid performance.  In my mind, this as an epic display of neolithic incompetence, a damning degree of unpreparedness, and an appalling lack of focus and discipline.  My elaborations follow.

1.  During the offseason, this matchup was billed as a meeting between two up and coming teams generally, and  two young and promising QBs specifically. For whatever reasons, Bortles did not look like he belonged on the same field with Carr.  There have been myriad theories offered for Bortles' struggles.  Today, it appeared all of them have some merit.  Some, including myself, have offered that the lack of a running game has hindered his performance.  While Ivory had a nice run or two, the running game was still woefully inconsistent and did not draw in LBs underneath or deep safeties.  Others have said he is pressing, and the inexplicable throw into triple coverage ruining a chance to at least tie the game early one is an example of that,  Others have observed his mechanics are off, as evidenced by the numerous missed and inaccurate passes of open receivers like Hurns and Marcedes Lewis.  Another popular refrain places the blame at the feet of the coaches, and I certainly do not obsolve them here.  For the record, I do not want to see another bubble screen for the remainder of the year.  I'd rather the team punt than to subject themselves and the fans to such a thorough exercize in futility. The deep pass has been notably absent all year.  Why cant the intermediate and shorter routes be better utilized to move the ball after seven (7) weeks?   In the post game, FT theorized that Bortles doesn't trust his OL.  There may be some merit to that, but I saw times where he had plenty of time to throw, but was not overly decisive.  Bortles and the passing game have way too much aggregate talent to look so collectively constipated offensively.  As much as possible, the deficiencies muct be fixed and fast.

2.  The defense gets its share of the blame too.  WHile I was excited to see Fowler return to health, his mental lapses make it easy to see why he does not start.  He seems unable to consistently line up on sides.  Too often, he is flagged for lining up in the neutral zone, making charitable yardage donations to opposing offenses allowing them favorable down and distance situations.  I may be wrong, but I believe he tipped off a coverage on the second series.  He was lined up on the defensive left side, when he turned around to communicate with a DB.  My immediate thought was that he would drop into coverage.  Sure enough, he did.  If I could figure that out, Certainly Carr can, and he did, as he attacked that side of the field and got a pass completion for a first down.   If either propensity enabled him to get an edge rushing the passer, it might be tolerable, but neither he nor Ngakoue came close to sacking Carr.   Equally as disappointing was the run defense.  Last week, the run defense was very good.  Today, the Raiders ran pretty much at will.  In pass coverage, Amukumara had been a bright spot for us when he wasn't injured, but today, he was repeatedly exploited by a guy, who, quite frankly, is pretty average in Michael Crabtree.  Amukumara allowed a deep pass right before halftime that put the game out of reach.

3.  Lest we think this failure was anything less than comprehensive, special teams played a huge role in the loss today.  While Rashad Green has been an outstanding performer for us and a bad game from him was bound to happen sooner or later, his happened today and produced disastrous, field position killing errors in the muffed punt inside the 20, and later fielding the punt inside his own five yard line.  But as bad as those plays were from a guy who is clearly better than that, they were neither as demoralizing or infuriating as the play that happened late in the game where the punt coverage teams allowed a punter to field a horrible snap and run to convert a FOURTH AND TWENTY FOUR (4th and 24)!  Yes, you read that right.  Considering punt formation places a punter 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, the punt coverage teams could not manage to tackle a punter before he traversed 39 yards in total and move the chains when we were making the last ditch effort to come back.

4.  Then there was the obdurate, persistent lack of focus and discpline that has dogged this team all year.  I understand the officials have not been our allies this year, but when Malik Jackson earns three personal foul penalties in a half that got him ejected, and Ramsey followed up getting ejected late, -on top of all of the stupid penalties this team habitually draws, I can't say I blame them.  While Allen Robinson didn't committ any penalties, he had an uncharacteristic case of the dropsies.  You'd think by now, the team would have run out of feet in which to shoot themselves.  Can such ineptitude possibly be scripted any worse than what was on display today?

5.  Bottom line:  I do not know Shad Khan personally.  He seems like he is calm, cool, and collected.  But for the life of me, I cannot see how he is not absolutely frothing at the mouth over this performance.  This loss encapsulates every failure of the Bradley tenure here, and is or should be, in all honesty, a fireable offense.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This was the first game that I ever got angry inside and I wanted beat a raider fan up who stepped in my face talking trash

Wow Bullseye, you pretty much covered all my thoughts. I'm a patient man but after 4 years, there's no excuse for what transpired today. I hate walking back to my car with the opposing team's fans celebrating with no regard.

Excellent post! I enjoy reading them, thanks.

Too many words, not enough pictures

Quote:Please allow me to preface by providing fair warning to those who insist upon positivity in reading Jaguars related message board posts.  This board has a long tradition of Stepford Fans.  If you fall within this group that is categorically averse to negative postings regarding the Jaguars, I urge you to close this window now.  You have been given notice that you will not like what is to follow from me.  In fact, I suspect before long, a mod may be tempted to delete this posting.

I continue my preface to the readers by asserting the following guarantees.  I harbor no Raider antipathies, towards the team or the fans.  I have no obnoxious Raider fan buddy who would make my life hell because of this game.  I had nothing wagered on this game.  In fact, in the AFC South Forum, I predicted we'd lose this game.  There is nothing in my life outside of football that would cause me to lash out in anger.  I have no relationship issues, no abnormal stressors.  I do not drink, and I am not otherwise under the influence of any rage inducing substances.  What follows in this post is borne purely of the performance from today's game, and the perspective of a season ticket holder since 1995.

Finally, I feel compelled to apologize for the inadequacies of this post, though in fairness to me, I have a daunting task ahead.  A team of William Shakespeares working in three eight hour shifts working twenty four hours a day could not adequately convey the angst, revulsion and disgust stemming from this game.  Call me a bibber or self soiler if you must, place me in the category of the torch and pitchfork crowd, dismiss me as a Nattering Nabob of Negativism.  This catharsis must have life, even if brief in this forum.

During my tenure as a football fan in general and a STH for the Jaguars, I have seen some bad displays of football.  I have encountered the crushing disappointment of the AFCC game of 1999 and the morale draining seasons since 2008.  But this game marks the first time I have felt insulted by a Jaguars performance, the first time I have felt watching the team constituted a waste of time.  At least with the 44-0 loss to Detroit, qnd the 41-3 home loss to the Bears, solace could be had in the knowledge that this team was in the very beginnng stages of the franchise  in the former case, and the latter was the culmination of Gene Smith's failed rebuild.  This current roster has no such excuse for such a horrid performance.  In my mind, this as an epic display of neolithic incompetence, a damning degree of unpreparedness, and an appalling lack of focus and discipline.  My elaborations follow.

1.  During the offseason, this matchup was billed as a meeting between two up and coming teams generally, and  two young and promising QBs specifically. For whatever reasons, Bortles did not look like he belonged on the same field with Carr.  There have been myriad theories offered for Bortles' struggles.  Today, it appeared all of them have some merit.  Some, including myself, have offered that the lack of a running game has hindered his performance.  While Ivory had a nice run or two, the running game was still woefully inconsistent and did not draw in LBs underneath or deep safeties.  Others have said he is pressing, and the inexplicable throw into triple coverage ruining a chance to at least tie the game early one is an example of that,  Others have observed his mechanics are off, as evidenced by the numerous missed and inaccurate passes of open receivers like Hurns and Marcedes Lewis.  Another popular refrain places the blame at the feet of the coaches, and I certainly do not obsolve them here.  For the record, I do not want to see another bubble screen for the remainder of the year.  I'd rather the team punt than to subject themselves and the fans to such a thorough exercize in futility. The deep pass has been notably absent all year.  Why cant the intermediate and shorter routes be better utilized to move the ball after seven (7) weeks?   In the post game, FT theorized that Bortles doesn't trust his OL.  There may be some merit to that, but I saw times where he had plenty of time to throw, but was not overly decisive.  Bortles and the passing game have way too much aggregate talent to look so collectively constipated offensively.  As much as possible, the deficiencies muct be fixed and fast.

2.  The defense gets its share of the blame too.  WHile I was excited to see Fowler return to health, his mental lapses make it easy to see why he does not start.  He seems unable to consistently line up on sides.  Too often, he is flagged for lining up in the neutral zone, making charitable yardage donations to opposing offenses allowing them favorable down and distance situations.  I may be wrong, but I believe he tipped off a coverage on the second series.  He was lined up on the defensive left side, when he turned around to communicate with a DB.  My immediate thought was that he would drop into coverage.  Sure enough, he did.  If I could figure that out, Certainly Carr can, and he did, as he attacked that side of the field and got a pass completion for a first down.   If either propensity enabled him to get an edge rushing the passer, it might be tolerable, but neither he nor Ngakoue came close to sacking Carr.   Equally as disappointing was the run defense.  Last week, the run defense was very good.  Today, the Raiders ran pretty much at will.  In pass coverage, Amukumara had been a bright spot for us when he wasn't injured, but today, he was repeatedly exploited by a guy, who, quite frankly, is pretty average in Michael Crabtree.  Amukumara allowed a deep pass right before halftime that put the game out of reach.

3.  Lest we think this failure was anything less than comprehensive, special teams played a huge role in the loss today.  While Rashad Green has been an outstanding performer for us and a bad game from him was bound to happen sooner or later, his happened today and produced disastrous, field position killing errors in the muffed punt inside the 20, and later fielding the punt inside his own five yard line.  But as bad as those plays were from a guy who is clearly better than that, they were neither as demoralizing or infuriating as the play that happened late in the game where the punt coverage teams allowed a punter to field a horrible snap and run to convert a FOURTH AND TWENTY FOUR (4th and 24)!  Yes, you read that right.  Considering punt formation places a punter 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, the punt coverage teams could not manage to tackle a punter before he traversed 39 yards in total and move the chains when we were making the last ditch effort to come back.

4.  Then there was the obdurate, persistent lack of focus and discpline that has dogged this team all year.  I understand the officials have not been our allies this year, but when Malik Jackson earns three personal foul penalties in a half that got him ejected, and Ramsey followed up getting ejected late, -on top of all of the stupid penalties this team habitually draws, I can't say I blame them.  While Allen Robinson didn't committ any penalties, he had an uncharacteristic case of the dropsies.  You'd think by now, the team would have run out of feet in which to shoot themselves.  Can such imeptitude possibly be scripted any worse than what was on display today?

5.  Bottom line:  I do not know Shad Khan personally.  He seems like he is calm, cool, and collected.  But for the life of me, I cannot see how he is no absolutely frothing at the mouth over this performance.  This loss encapsulates every failure of the Bradley tenure here, and is or should be, in all honesty, a fireable offense.

Well said. We feel the same way man. Enough is enough.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:This was the first game that I ever got angry inside and I wanted beat a raider fan up who stepped in my face talking trash

Ummm, well then.

Thanks for the post. The term patience of Job plays in this scenario.  It is mind boggling that a team that tore the roster to sheds to get the players they wanted is so inept.  Honestly, the first year Gus team played with more discipline and it was obvious how gutted the roster was to start the season.

The wait for improvement should be over. The winless Browns deserve more respect then this team. I guess the team read their own press this summer.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Too many words, not enough pictures

Here you go:

[Image: 4CTDacDg.jpg]

Bullseye da GOAT

A post that I wish wasn't true, but hit the nail on the head

Good read Bullseye..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:Here you go:

[Image: 4CTDacDg.jpg]
this

Like they said the biggest voice is the wallet. ATTEMPT to sell your tickets, empty the stadium. Stop going to the games.

Things are really going to hell, both on the field and in the minds of the fans.  I've been a 22 year STH and can never recall feeling as much at a loss as I am right now.  This franchise is in disarray.  Planning to put my remaining 2016 tickets up for sale (I've previously missed 2 regular season home games and 2 pre-season home games in Jag's history).  This is my white flag.  Gus has to go and Blake has to sit before I'll go back.  I'm out.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Wonderful oratory Bullseye. Couldn't agree more.

I still believe in our talent 100%, but my trust in this coaching staff is -100%

This team looks like they fight with themselves to move a foot let alone a yard. Can't put together a successful opening drive ever. I appreciate those Coughlin offenses more and more. We didn't always win but we could drive and score. The scoring feels like an accident now.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Please allow me to preface by providing fair warning to those who insist upon positivity in reading Jaguars related message board posts.  This board has a long tradition of Stepford Fans.  If you fall within this group that is categorically averse to negative postings regarding the Jaguars, I urge you to close this window now.  You have been given notice that you will not like what is to follow from me.  In fact, I suspect before long, a mod may be tempted to delete this posting.

4.  Then there was the obdurate, persistent lack of focus and discpline that has dogged this team all year.  I understand the officials have not been our allies this year, but when Malik Jackson earns three personal foul penalties in a half that got him ejected, and Ramsey followed up getting ejected late, -on top of all of the stupid penalties this team habitually draws, I can't say I blame them.  While Allen Robinson didn't committ any penalties, he had an uncharacteristic case of the dropsies.  You'd think by now, the team would have run out of feet in which to shoot themselves.  Can such imeptitude possibly be scripted any worse than what was on display today?

5.  Bottom line:  I do not know Shad Khan personally.  He seems like he is calm, cool, and collected.  But for the life of me, I cannot see how he is no absolutely frothing at the mouth over this performance.  This loss encapsulates every failure of the Bradley tenure here, and is or should be, in all honesty, a fireable offense.I
I can add nothing to this post to acknowledge my disappointment with this 2016 team.  Well done Bullseye!

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:Wow Bullseye, you pretty much covered all my thoughts. I'm a patient man but after 4 years, there's no excuse for what transpired today. I hate walking back to my car with the opposing team's fans celebrating with no regard.
I hate to admit this but I encouraged Raider fans to celebrate their win today as I walked out in shame in my home stadium.  Whatever it takes to get Gus out of here I am willing to do.  

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Bullseye, you provided a well thought out and very rational posting. This says exactly what I wanted to say minus a truckful of 4 letter words.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn