Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Worked out Hurst

Jaguars were smart here.

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180...-nfl-draft

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM by imtheblkranger.)

I'm all about him at 29 or even jumping up above Carolina to grab him for the right price

I really love the athleticism of Gesiki but Hurst's blocking ability makes him the ideal fit in Jax IMO
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

That’s my guy !

(04-22-2018, 09:14 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm all about him at 29 or even jumping up above Carolina to grab him for the right price

I really love the athleticism of Gesiki but Hurst's blocking ability makes him the ideal fit in Jax IMO

His blocking has been very oversold this offseason in my opinion. 

His effort is good but his technique is poor and not a guy you want sealing off the edge or drive blocking on the runs. 

Granted last year was a really strong class but I wouldn't have taken him until the 5th round in that class.

(04-22-2018, 11:23 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 09:14 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm all about him at 29 or even jumping up above Carolina to grab him for the right price

His blocking has been very oversold this offseason in my opinion. 

His effort is good but his technique is poor and not a guy you want sealing off the edge or drive blocking on the runs. 

Granted last year was a really strong class but I wouldn't have taken him until the 5th round in that class.

Hurst still has room to grow in terms of technique, but he's going to hit the NFL stronger than the other tight ends too, making his transition more immediate.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2018, 11:34 AM by JackCity.)

(04-22-2018, 11:27 AM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:23 AM)JackCity Wrote: His blocking has been very oversold this offseason in my opinion. 

Hurst still has room to grow in terms of technique, but he's going to hit the NFL stronger than the other tight ends too, making his transition more immediate.
He's older but I don't think he's physically stronger or more "ready" than several TEs in this class. 

I'd have as much faith in someone like Goedert having an impact day 1 as I would Hurst.

Carolina needs db, wr, and ol. No need to jump them. Hurst @29 represents terrible value.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I think Dalton Shultz is the best te in the draft for what the jags want to do.

(04-22-2018, 11:53 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

Carolina needs db, wr, and ol. No need to jump them. Hurst @29 represents terrible value.

It sounds like they're looking to trade back into early round two where they can get Hurst for better value 
'02

(04-22-2018, 12:18 PM)texasjag22 Wrote: I think Dalton Shultz is the best te in the draft for what the jags want to do.

I agree.

Hurst in the second. It sucks he is already 25. TEs need time
to develop and he is no finished product. If he doesn't make it there I would go for Thomas or Schultz later on. Also I'm optimistic about O'shauhnessy development.

I wouldn’t mind Hurst.

He seems to be highly rated by people like Mayock.

But as long as we get one of him, Goedert, Thomas or Gesicki I’d be happy.

I’d be disappointed if we picked a blocking TE though. So many other teams have useful pass catching tight ends these days and we really need to improve in that area.

(04-22-2018, 03:35 PM)Andy G Wrote: I wouldn’t mind Hurst.

He seems to be highly rated by people like Mayock.

But as long as we get one of him, Goedert, Thomas or Gesicki I’d be happy.

I’d be disappointed if we picked a blocking TE though. So many other teams have useful pass catching tight ends these days and we really need to improve in that area.

I agree.

I'd much rather have a TE that can create mismatches in the passing game who is an average blocker than a guy who offers little to nothing in the passing game and who is a good run blocker.

Jay Novacek looked like a string bean out there for Dallas during the early to mid 90's.  Nobody would ever mistake him for a dominant run blocker.  Yet his presence in the starting lineup did not prevent those Dallas teams from having a dominant running attack.  But his skill in the passing game provided Aikman a valuable safety blanket to help move the chains.

Shannon Sharpe was never a great blocker.  But even more than Novacek, he provided tremendous matchup advantages for the Broncos and later the Ravens in the passing game, and his blocking did not stop either team from running the ball effectively.

A little known secret here is that during the pre draft process back in 2006, there were whispers that questioned Marcedes Lewis' toughness and willingness/effectiveness as a blocker.  It turned out, he grew into a very effective run blocker.

Teams can run and win with TE who are so so blockers but excellent receiving threats.  I sure hope in targeting a TE, we don't lose sight of that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-22-2018, 11:33 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:27 AM)Achilles Wrote: Hurst still has room to grow in terms of technique, but he's going to hit the NFL stronger than the other tight ends too, making his transition more immediate.
He's older but I don't think he's physically stronger or more "ready" than several TEs in this class. 

I'd have as much faith in someone like Goedert having an impact day 1 as I would Hurst.

For what I saw of him I would agree with this.
I also was expecting better numbers from Hurst at the combine, he put up pretty much the same numbers as O'shaughnessy. Not that it matters too much, but I was expecting better.
Seems like a fine kid and hard worker and I'd be fine with taking him in the second, I just have my doubts on him at 29.

(04-22-2018, 05:14 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:33 AM)JackCity Wrote: He's older but I don't think he's physically stronger or more "ready" than several TEs in this class. 

For what I saw of him I would agree with this.
I also was expecting better numbers from Hurst at the combine, he put up pretty much the same numbers as O'shaughnessy. Not that it matters too much, but I was expecting better.
Seems like a fine kid and hard worker and I'd be fine with taking him in the second, I just have my doubts on him at 29.
Like, I think Hurst is a good #2 guy to have. He can do a little bit of everything. Just not taking that kind of guy with my 1st pick. Truth be told I'm not sure I'd take him with the 2nd either but I'd at least cope with it.

(04-22-2018, 12:18 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:53 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Carolina needs db, wr, and ol. No need to jump them. Hurst @29 represents terrible value.

It sounds like they're looking to trade back into early round two where they can get Hurst for better value 

IMO, I don't think top of the second would represent better value, more towards the end of the second into the early third.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(04-22-2018, 07:19 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 12:18 PM)Jags02 Wrote: It sounds like they're looking to trade back into early round two where they can get Hurst for better value 

IMO, I don't think top of the second would represent better value, more towards the end of the second into the early third.

Agree, I'd be good with him at our 2nd pick

I can't believe people like Hurst as much as they do, but people seem to think many teams, including us, really like him. I am praying he is off the board before we pick at 29. I just don't see a difference maker in any way with him.

(04-23-2018, 01:24 AM)Upper Wrote: I can't believe people like Hurst as much as they do, but people seem to think many teams, including us, really like him. I am praying he is off the board before we pick at 29. I just don't see a difference maker in any way with him.

I agree. It took till the 19th pick last year for OJ Howard to come off the board and he was an elite prospect at TE. Hurst realistically shouldn't be in the convo for 1st round at all, the talent pool for TE this year is just thin. It would be a reach to take him at #29.

(04-22-2018, 02:56 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Hurst in the second. It sucks he is already 25. TEs need time
to develop and he is no finished product. If he doesn't make it there I would go for Thomas or Schultz later on. Also I'm optimistic about O'shauhnessy development.

I see no way he last to our pick in round 2.