Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Braden Smith OL Auburn

If we decide to go somewhere besides guard in the first round how would everyone feel about him in the second? Personally I believe he has as much upside as any interior offensive lineman in this draft sans Quenton Nelson. I haven't seen anybody here mention his name and was wondering what all of you savvy draftniks thought about him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-23-2018, 03:55 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: If we decide to go somewhere besides guard in the first round how would everyone feel about him in the second? Personally I believe he has as much upside as any interior offensive lineman in this draft sans Quenton Nelson. I haven't seen anybody here mention his name and was wondering what all of you savvy draftniks thought about him.

His name has been brought up a number of times as a 2nd round OL possibility.  If the Jags do opt for a different position in the 1st I would be happy with the 2nd round OL being a Smith/Crosby/Jones/Brown/Ragnow.

I would put Ragnow/Crosby/Jones ahead of him but all of those are more likely to be gone by our 2nd round pick anyways.

Actually in the middle of doing a write up for him. He's very good and suits our style perfect.

-He's a mauler and physically overpowers most players he comes up against. He's been one of the best linemen in the SEC for a few years and has given up a minimal amount of sacks/pressures.
-Tested as an elite athlete for an OL
- Once he gets his hands on defenders its over. His big issue is his balance. He can get put off balance quite easily and this really hinders his ability to make 2nd level blocks. You'll often see him fall over on the field. Thats very worrying to me because I'm not sure how you even go about improving that.
- Pass set very smooth
- Great punch
- Has the size we covet (6'6 305) and is pretty maxed out. No belly or anything.

Some other tidbits I picked up

- Made the academic team every year in the SEC.
- Decided to become a football player at age 14 and started lifting weights 3 times a day to get there. He has a one track mind and once he decides to do something it gets done.
- Quiet guy who's main hobby is gardening and fishing.
- Highly coveted recruit and was a state champion in track and field as well as an all-star football player.

If we don't take a lineman in the first he's my favorite pick in the 2nd.

(04-23-2018, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Actually in the middle of doing a write up for him. He's very good and suits our style perfect.  

-He's a mauler and physically overpowers most players he comes up against. He's been one of the best linemen in the SEC for a few years and has given up a minimal amount of sacks/pressures.
- Once he gets his hands on defenders its over. His big issue is his balance. He can get put off balance quite easily and this really hinders his ability to make 2nd level blocks. You'll often see him fall over on the field. Thats very worrying to me because I'm not sure how you even go about improving that.  
- Pass set very smooth
- Great punch
- Has the size we covet (6'6 305) and is pretty maxed out. No belly or anything.

- Decided to become a football player at age 14 and started lifting weights 3 times a day to get there. He has a one track mind and once he decides to do something it gets done.
- Highly coveted recruit and was a state champion in track and field as well as an all-star football player.  

Thanks for the post. I think you hit the nail on the head in most of your assessments. He has an all-pro ceiling and would be a steal in the second if he is available at our pick. Not only is he super athletic as you mentioned but he also  built like a monster. Big legs/arms/chest.

(04-23-2018, 04:12 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Actually in the middle of doing a write up for him. He's very good and suits our style perfect.  

- Pass set very smooth
- Great punch

Thanks for the post. I think you hit the nail on the head in most of your assessments. He has an all-pro ceiling and would be a steal in the second if he is available at our pick. Not only is he super athletic as you mentioned but he also  built like a monster. Big legs/arms/chest.

No problem. Might not bother with a write up now.  He's the definition of a phone booth blocker but thats not a bad thing for us. You get him squared up 1 v 1 and he's going to win the vast majority of the time.  

My question is why does the hype seem low on him? Deep interior draft hiding him? Or is it just a guy NFL teams are higher on than media types.  There was a pic of him from high school floating around and he already looked like an NFL lineman.

(04-23-2018, 04:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:12 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Thanks for the post. I think you hit the nail on the head in most of your assessments. He has an all-pro ceiling and would be a steal in the second if he is available at our pick. Not only is he super athletic as you mentioned but he also  built like a monster. Big legs/arms/chest.

No problem. Might not bother with a write up now.  He's the definition of a phone booth blocker but thats not a bad thing for us. You get him squared up 1 v 1 and he's going to win the vast majority of the time.  

My question is why does the hype seem low on him? Deep interior draft hiding him? Or is it just a guy NFL teams are higher on than media types.  There was a pic of him from high school floating around and he already looked like an NFL lineman.

A few days ago I watched a video of him in high school benching 515 pounds 3 times and he most definitely looked like a grown man. I also do not understand the lack of hype for him which is why I started this thread. For me he checks all the boxes someone would look for in a lineman. Size/strengrh/athleticism/played against great competition in the SEC. I'm thinking you may be right that teams are higher on him than the media. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him go early second round.

Yep - either him or Ragnow in the second.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2018, 05:38 PM by Upper.)

Gesecki, St. Brown, and Josh Sweat are my dream picks in the 2nd round...but Smith would be a nice consolation prize if not one of them.

(04-23-2018, 04:31 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: No problem. Might not bother with a write up now.  He's the definition of a phone booth blocker but thats not a bad thing for us. You get him squared up 1 v 1 and he's going to win the vast majority of the time.  

A few days ago I watched a video of him in high school benching 515 pounds 3 times and he most definitely looked like a grown man. I also do not understand the lack of hype for him which is why I started this thread. For me he checks all the boxes someone would look for in a lineman. Size/strengrh/athleticism/played against great competition in the SEC. I'm thinking you may be right that teams are higher on him than the media. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him go early second round.

He also hits those boxes we look for in a lineman, SEC, big school, size, games played, leader, mauler etc etc. Would make every position on our line 6'6!  

The balance issue does really worry me though.

(04-23-2018, 04:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:12 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Thanks for the post. I think you hit the nail on the head in most of your assessments. He has an all-pro ceiling and would be a steal in the second if he is available at our pick. Not only is he super athletic as you mentioned but he also  built like a monster. Big legs/arms/chest.

I think that's just it, it's a deep draft for interior lineman. I'd be fine with Smith @61. The only top interior lineman I'm lukewarm about would be James Daniels.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(04-23-2018, 07:15 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: No problem. Might not bother with a write up now.  He's the definition of a phone booth blocker but thats not a bad thing for us. You get him squared up 1 v 1 and he's going to win the vast majority of the time.  

I think that's just it, it's a deep draft for interior lineman. I'd be fine with Smith @61. The only top interior lineman I'm lukewarm about would be James Daniels.

What's the deal with Daniels? He seems to have risen up the boards quite a bit in the last few weeks. Is he not a good fit for the Jags?

Smiths playing really good for the colts this year at RT. Just a shame we didn't get a shot at him in the 2nd.