Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fournette’s backup

This might come under the heading of “luxury pick”, but it has been suggested we might add another running back in the draft, to take some of the load off Fournette and to act as an insurance policy if he goes down hurt.

And while Yeldon and Grant are both capable in their own ways, they have different playing styles and neither is really the guy you turn to when you want to pound the opposition (assuming that’s what we want to do).

So, here’s the question, if we are looking for Fournette’s backup, who do we pick and when?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018, 02:53 AM by TheDogCatcher.)

(04-24-2018, 02:44 AM)Andy G Wrote: This might come under the heading of “luxury pick”, but it has been suggested we might add another running back in the draft, to take some of the load off Fournette and to act as an insurance policy if he goes down hurt.

And while Yeldon and Grant are both capable in their own ways, they have different playing styles and neither is really the guy you turn to when you want to pound the opposition (assuming that’s what we want to do).

So, here’s the question, if we are looking for Fournette’s backup, who do we pick and when?
There’s a sleeper RB - name escapes me - whom Kirwan and his co-host were comparing to David Johnson of the Cardinals and DeMarco Murray. I wouldn’t mind him in the 4th/5th round.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We don't use a selection on a RB. We bring in some UDFA'S . We're not quite at the point where we can afford to have luxury picks. After the draft, I'd try bringing in Jarvion Franklin of Western Michigan and Kamryn Pettway of Auburn. Both are big, physical, talented runners, in the mold of Leonard Fournette, just not nearly as physically gifted. I believe either one could be a valuable backup.

Kalen Ballage in the 4th

I think a later round sleeper who could be a steal is Mark Walton out of Miami.

I like Mark Walton as well but he's probably going in the 4th and the only time I'd draft a RB is the 6th or 7th

(04-24-2018, 04:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We don't use a selection on a RB. We bring in some UDFA'S . We're not quite at the point where we can afford to have luxury picks. After the draft, I'd try bringing in Jarvion Franklin of Western Michigan and Kamryn Pettway of Auburn. Both are big, physical, talented runners, in the mold of Leonard Fournette, just not nearly as physically gifted. I believe either one could be a valuable backup.

Another guy I really like as a UDFA is Jordan Wilkins of Ole Miss.

6'1" 216 lbs physical runner who can catch out of the backfield.  Averaged 6.5 yards a carry and broke 1000 yards on a team that passes 80%+ of the time.

Had some of his best games against the better competition as well posting 100+ yards and 8.4 average against Alabama.  100+ yard games against MS State, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Vandy.

He had to sit out his Junior year due to being 1 class short of his classification.  That academic advisor got fired...

(04-24-2018, 04:51 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We don't use a selection on a RB. We bring in some UDFA'S . We're not quite at the point where we can afford to have luxury picks. After the draft, I'd try bringing in Jarvion Franklin of Western Michigan and Kamryn Pettway of Auburn. Both are big, physical, talented runners, in the mold of Leonard Fournette, just not nearly as physically gifted. I believe either one could be a valuable backup.

I wouldn’t consider it a luxury pick in the slightest. It’s a necessity, if our identity is to be a run first smash mouth football team. We need to invest accordingly.

Early round talent to be considered:

Guice 
Chubb
Penny

Middle round talent:

Freeman
Ballage
Scarbough

Late round to UDFA:

Pettway
Franklin
Lavon Coleman 
Darrel Williams
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I’d like to see Ronald Jones spell Fournette.

Two different styles that may complement each other.

At the end of round 2 would be a steal for the Texas Tesla.

(04-24-2018, 09:28 AM)CAPTAIN Wrote: I’d like to see Ronald Jones spell Fournette.

I love me some Ronald Jones. But there are so many ways to go with that Second Round pick.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(04-24-2018, 09:37 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 09:28 AM)CAPTAIN Wrote: I’d like to see Ronald Jones spell Fournette.

I love me some Ronald Jones. But there are so many ways to go with that Second Round pick.

Sure.

We’ll see how it shakes out on Thursday.

I really want a back like Rashaad Penny on this team. Not sure if he gets scooped up quick or not, but if we have a chance at getting him, I think he makes the RB squad level up immediately.

I want a RB so bad... if we are able to trade down and acquire an extra 3rd rounder it would make more sense... that way we can get an OLB and a RB in the 3rd round.

RBs fall sometimes. If Penny is there with our 3rd pick I'd take him without even thinking about it

I wouldn't take one super high. Just finding a chain-mover backup RB, you can use a day 3 pick or gamble on an UDFA.

I could see them going with someone like Josh Adams late if he's there.

6'2 220, extremely athletic. Played well for Notre Dame but he's pretty high cut and NFL teams hate that. He can hit home runs along with run short yardage. Not a big fan of him but he's fit the Fournette backup role well.

I would be ok with Chubb in round 3.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-24-2018, 10:03 AM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: I really want a back like Rashaad Penny on this team. Not sure if he gets scooped up quick or not, but if we have a chance at getting him, I think he makes the RB squad level up immediately.

Penny would be the only RB I'd consider drafting. Imagine a one-two punch of Fournette and Penny.