Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Marrone: Jaguars expect 'big jump' from Blake Bortles

Marrone: Jaguars expect 'big jump' from Blake Bortles

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ke-bortles

Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone made it clear while on 'GMFB' Tuesday what the team expects from Blake Bortles this season. The Jags signed Bortles to a hefty three-year extension in February.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sure they do. What are they supposed to say?

(04-24-2018, 01:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Sure they do. What are they supposed to say?

I want him to succeed. I want him to be the present and the future. I am tired of starting over. Now don't get me wrong, I still hope we draft a QB this year, but I am rootingfor Blake all the way.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-24-2018, 01:45 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 01:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Sure they do. What are they supposed to say?

I want him to succeed. I want him to be the present and the future. I am tired of starting over. Now don't get me wrong, I still hope we draft a QB this year, but I am rootingfor Blake all the way.

Everybody wants him to succeed. That doesn't mean I think he will. I hope he does though. I wanna be proved wrong.

Blake's quarterback rating among qb last year was 12th. Not bad and I think anyone would have been fine it they were told last year he would be 12th among QB's. So that is why he was rewarded with a new contract.

(04-24-2018, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 01:45 PM)Dimson Wrote: I want him to succeed. I want him to be the present and the future. I am tired of starting over. Now don't get me wrong, I still hope we draft a QB this year, but I am rootingfor Blake all the way.

Everybody wants him to succeed. That doesn't mean I think he will. I hope he does though. I wanna be proved wrong.

What’s your standard for success at the QB position?

(04-25-2018, 08:02 AM)CAPTAIN Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Everybody wants him to succeed. That doesn't mean I think he will. I hope he does though. I wanna be proved wrong.

What’s your standard for success at the QB position?

Consistency.

We saw the jump second half of last season. With the same system and coaches in place this year there should be an expectation of mor consistency, flexibility, etc. my opinion is that we’ll see alot of what was the last 6 games or so...taking it to lesser defenses and providing opportunities of balance against better defenses. Blake has his issues but the team needs WR and TE positions to step up with consistency as well.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-24-2018, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 01:45 PM)Dimson Wrote: I want him to succeed. I want him to be the present and the future. I am tired of starting over. Now don't get me wrong, I still hope we draft a QB this year, but I am rootingfor Blake all the way.

Not everyone..... There’s a lot of people who have made up their minds about him in 2016 and want him to fail simply because they don’t want to be wrong. Petty and stupid? Damn straight it is, but that’s just how some folks are wired...

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 01:59 PM by JAGFAN88.)

(04-25-2018, 08:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 08:02 AM)CAPTAIN Wrote: What’s your standard for success at the QB position?

Consistency.

Depends on your definition of consistency. Ifn you expect him to go 30/30 with 0 int and 300 yards and 3 TD every game for 16 games you will end up disappointed. Of all the QBs taken in the first round in the last 5 years BB is the only one who started slow and has improved every year. The rest eiither started fast and have slowly declined every year or started fast and jury is still out.  I like the progress he has made and continues to make.

Here is a Question for the masses. Does BB5 get the C back on his uniform this year. Did he earn the teams respect enough to make him Captain Again? I think yes most definitely.

(04-25-2018, 01:58 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 08:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Consistency.

Depends on your definition of consistency. Ifn you expect him to go 30/30 with 0 int and 300 yards and 3 TD every game for 16 games you will end up disappointed. Of all the QBs taken in the first round in the last 5 years BB is the only one who started slow and has improved every year. The rest eiither started fast and have slowly declined every year or started fast and jury is still out.  I like the progress he has made and continues to make.

Here is a Question for the masses. Does BB5 get the C back on his uniform this year. Did he earn the teams respect enough to make him Captain Again? I think yes most definitely.

I would be shocked if he doesn't wear the C this year.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-25-2018, 02:04 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 01:58 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Depends on your definition of consistency. Ifn you expect him to go 30/30 with 0 int and 300 yards and 3 TD every game for 16 games you will end up disappointed. Of all the QBs taken in the first round in the last 5 years BB is the only one who started slow and has improved every year. The rest eiither started fast and have slowly declined every year or started fast and jury is still out.  I like the progress he has made and continues to make.

I would be shocked if he doesn't wear the C this year.

Bortles and Linder on O
Smith and Campbell on D?
You can have up to 6 I think...

(04-25-2018, 01:07 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Everybody wants him to succeed. That doesn't mean I think he will. I hope he does though. I wanna be proved wrong.

Not everyone..... There’s a lot of people who have made up their minds about him in 2016 and want him to fail simply because they don’t want to be wrong. Petty and stupid? Damn straight it is, but that’s just how some folks are wired...

I'd rather be wrong and have a championship.

I'm not sure why it isn't conceivable that Bortles could (in his 5th year) be in for a big jump.

What does a big jump mean however? He's thrown for 35 TDs and 4500 yards before...
He's now put a season under his belt remaining above 60% comp and he's finished 2 seasons with an 80 or better Rating...

Should we expect 5k yards 30+ TDs and how much of a jump is that, if he's already done it before?

I think the answer may be a bit less of a jump and more of a smoother upward climb.
In that I mean we should expect to see him continue to be careful with the ball while also pushing the ball up field more often. His YPA should rise while his INTs remain flat or decrease. His total yards may not get too much beyond 4k with the offense our staff runs to be honest (and fair to Borts). Also, we may not see him eclipse 30 passing TDs... again, this staff likes to run the ball, and really most teams would like to run it a lot.

Perhaps his big jump comes from something you can't count on a stat sheet. But in a consistency we've yet to see from him or the offense on the whole.
Which will leave it up to all sorts of subjective arguing about whether he did in fact make said "big jump" lol

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(04-25-2018, 07:09 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: Blake's quarterback rating among qb last year was 12th.  Not bad and I  think anyone would have been fine it they were told last year he would be 12th among QB's. So that is why he was rewarded with a new contract.

He was rewarded with an extra $7.5 million in guaranteed money.  In exchange the team got an option on him for years 2 and 3 of the deal.  It's not a deal to hang your hat on if you're sold on Bortles as your long term QB.  

Coupled with the basically free look on Kessler during the pre-season and I'd say the writing is on the wall that QB is on the radar high in the draft this year.  You can't control how the 28 picks in front of you go though or whether you can find a willing trade partner for appropriate compensation if you decide to move up so the team made smart business moves in the event that it doesn't unfold how they'd want.

Forget what coaches say about a player.  They're rarely going to throw a guy under the bus unless their job is being threatened by the player's performance and Marrone isn't going anywhere for a while after last season.  The contract tells you everything you need to know about what the team thinks.  I hope we go QB high in the draft.  I don't care if it pushes Blake to take the next step and cement himself as the long term starter or if the rookie eventually unseats him in a year, but the QB play needs to be better than it was on the whole last year.  If Blake carries over his Steelers/Patriots performances from the end of last year we're probably in good shape though.

2 big jumps HC is referring to: 1) throwing to a receiver deep in stride. 2) throwing in front of the receiver on crossing routes.

(04-25-2018, 03:58 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: 2 big jumps HC is referring to: 1) throwing to a receiver deep in stride. 2) throwing in front of the receiver on crossing routes.

Those two things are definitely areas in major need of improvement.
 The percentage of "in stride" throws from Bortles to receivers running any route is way too low. 
He showed flashes of improvement there last season but it was very inconsistent.

I think mariota has a better year than bortles this season. That being said, i like bortles. Glad to see some love for him for a change. He really made a big jump last season. Good for him

(04-25-2018, 07:09 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: Blake's quarterback rating among qb last year was 12th.  Not bad and I  think anyone would have been fine it they were told last year he would be 12th among QB's. So that is why he was rewarded with a new contract.

Pretty sure he was 20th.  Right behind Derek Carr, but ahead of Carson Palmer.  Unless you're talking about the useless QBR stat, in which case he was 15th.  But QBR is useless.

(04-26-2018, 10:33 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:

Pretty sure he was 20th.  Right behind Derek Carr, but ahead of Carson Palmer.  Unless you're talking about the useless QBR stat, in which case he was 15th.  But QBR is useless.

QBR is useless but some other rando-QBrating system is good?
Total QBR according to ESPN : Bortles was 12th http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr
QBR according to Pro Football Reference: Bortles was 15th
Rating (which I guess is different than QBR) on PFR has Borts 20th

Also your post reads like "You're wrong, unless you're not wrong, then I just dismiss the tools you used to reach your statement/theory/opinion"

Everyone uses QBR, it is much harder to find the "passer rating" so I guess everyone is useless.

I'm not a big QBR or even a pro football focus stats dude... but QBR seems simpler. 0-100 scale. 

The four separate calculations can be expressed in the following equations:
[Image: d0cf9b3484a1bd6e8b21d985ca392fe003a65cfa]
[Image: 3864e4934d831230be43ceb64ad940776f314024]
[Image: 8783a051cb0c490058e607291976288210839be2]
[Image: 53b626cff6ce1beba0c6bf3c02aca666a9f3a697]
where
ATT = Number of passing attempts
COMP = Number of completions
YDS = Passing yards
TD = Touchdown passes
INT = Interceptions
If the result of any calculation is greater than 2.375, it is set to 2.375. If the result is a negative number, it is set to zero.

Then, the above calculations are used to complete the passer rating:
[Image: 3b3a6857c3faa89cf62df17a858882ec0360f5ec]

This is how they find passer rating... and QBR is useless??