Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shad Khan Buying Wembley Stadium

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2018, 08:46 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:38 AM)HBklynJag Wrote: @boldcitycap Nothing like having a ton of momentum as a franchise locally and nationally and then murdering it with callous disregard. Purposefully or not.

Agree 100%

Agreed on poor timing. 

But again...everyone freaking out needs to calm down. 

There are two reasons that Khan can break the lease: 

1. He’s lost money on the Jags three consecutive years. No NFL team and I mean no team is losing money. Even the Browns. 

2. Stadium is in disrepair and or not up to modern standards. Khan has went the complete opposite way. The stadium is in good shape and modern by every standard. Scoreboards, new seats, the pools, the club renovations, the new dog park, etc. You don’t do these things if you want to move. You pull a Davis or Kroenke and don’t spend money on improvements and sit back and wait. 

This move may stabilize the jags even further. Now khan keeps all the revenue from all nfl games, and yes the jags may play another game and two in London. But I prefer it to the more unattractive option which is losing the team altogether.

The thing about the Jax lease is that they could just break it and pay whatever it costs to do so.  The number gets smaller each year.  It's under $100 million to break the lease now.  

Not saying it's going to happen, but when your franchise owner is buying one of the premiere stadium venues on the planet, it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in the long term plans for Jacksonville. 

Khan is saying it will protect the Jaguars interest in London as teams interest in the city grows.  You can read a lot into that comment.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(04-26-2018, 08:51 AM)FBT Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:18 AM)UKJag Wrote: Wembley is used for all sorts of things from International Soccer, Domestic Soccer finals and playoffs to concerts or shows as well as 2 NFL games a year. It could be him just making a very shrewd investment, but they are also building a Jaguars practice facility here too. I think it'll result in 4 games here and 4 games in Jax

That would destroy the Jax fan base.  They already don't like losing one game a year to London.

Which would then facilitate a full move to London... that 1 games accounts for 20% of Jaguars revenue a season. 4 would make massively more money and so would 8.

Perhaps Khan is eyeing the Tottenham Hotspurs as his next prized possession.

(04-26-2018, 08:45 AM)ColoJag Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:43 AM)JackCity Wrote: It does increase the fear of a move based on everything we heard Lamping say but 

Explain please

Basically, we will be getting a new stadium soon.  In the next 10 years at least.

(04-26-2018, 08:53 AM)Andy G Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:46 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Agreed on poor timing. 

1. He’s lost money on the Jags three consecutive years. No NFL team and I mean no team is losing money. Even the Browns. 

2. Stadium is in disrepair and or not up to modern standards. Khan has went the complete opposite way. The stadium is in good shape and modern by every standard. Scoreboards, new seats, the pools, the club renovations, the new dog park, etc. You don’t do these things if you want to move. You pull a Davis or Kroenke and don’t spend money on improvements and sit back and wait. 

This move may stabilize the jags even further. Now khan keeps all the revenue from all nfl games, and yes the jags may play another game and two in London. But I prefer it to the more unattractive option which is losing the team altogether.

I don’t think he will move the Jaguars either.

But could he put the team up for sale?

(Again, don’t think he will, but just looking at the options)

This is what Shad Khan has told the Fulham fans.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/april/...-statement

Exactly my point. Small doses in London helps stabilize us here in Jax. Thanks for sharing the link Smile

This news will certainly help the season ticket drive currently going on

(04-26-2018, 08:51 AM)FBT Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:18 AM)UKJag Wrote: Wembley is used for all sorts of things from International Soccer, Domestic Soccer finals and playoffs to concerts or shows as well as 2 NFL games a year. It could be him just making a very shrewd investment, but they are also building a Jaguars practice facility here too. I think it'll result in 4 games here and 4 games in Jax

That would destroy the Jax fan base.  They already don't like losing one game a year to London.

Yup, feels like sharing a team. Like sharing toys with your siblings.  Just move the team over there if the games are split in in half.

It's not something that worries me immediately but I do see cause for concern in the near future with regards to the status of Everbank/TIAA Bank Field. Every State of the Franchise event for the past few years now has included a bit where they point out all the new stadiums and major stadium renovations that have taken place since The Bank last renovated before SB39. On top of that, the lease with the city expires roundabout 2022 as far as I know, right around the time some people believe the NFL wants to put an NFL team permanently in London.

While I don't think Khan has any real desire to move the Jaguars to London, I also realize he is still a business man and as such will work to get the best deal he can get. If he does get ownership of Wembley, combined with his ownership of Fulham FC and the training ground their building in London it creates the perfect leverage for Khan to get the best possible deal out of the city he can. I don't know what a deal like that would look like but I wouldn't be surprised if he found a way to get major renovations done and get at least partial ownership of the stadium.

Statement from Shad Khan on Wembley Stadium

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...b654a5e2e5

Jaguars Owner Shad Khan issues a statement regarding Wembley Stadium

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 09:07 AM by UKJag.)

Chairmen can't own 2 football (soccer) clubs in the UK, so he would have to sell Fulham and Buy Tottenham. That has been rumoured though.

(04-26-2018, 09:00 AM)FBT Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:46 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Agreed on poor timing. 

The thing about the Jax lease is that they could just break it and pay whatever it costs to do so.  The number gets smaller each year.  It's under $100 million to break the lease now.  

Not saying it's going to happen, but when your franchise owner is buying one of the premiere stadium venues on the planet, it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in the long term plans for Jacksonville. 

Khan is saying it will protect the Jaguars interest in London as teams interest in the city grows.  You can read a lot into that comment.

He also said it protects the Jaguars future in Jax as well in the link that was shared. 

I think I read somewhere recently after the debacle with the Rams and Chargers moves that NFL is starting to frown upon moves unless there literally no choice (think when LA Coliseum was so bad the press box was condemned). 

Breaking the lease, the court battle, etc would be a black eye for the league. And all 32 owners have to approve it. So to me, it’s a far fetched scenario. 

Actions speak louder than words. Everything Khan has done so far has shown a commitment to Jax and passion for helping the city overall, not just the team. So I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt here. He’s done a complete 180 of Kroenke. As soon as he bought the Rams he refused to work with th city, became a hermit of sorts, and refused to act in good faith. Khan has done nothing of the sort. 

Maybe I’m being too positive, but as cynical as I am, this is one thing is see as not going south.

(04-26-2018, 09:01 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:45 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Explain please

Basically, we will be getting a new stadium soon.  In the next 10 years at least.

Not that I don't believe you but do you have a link? I would just like to read more up on that whike we wait for 11 hours Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 09:14 AM by I am Yoda.)

(04-26-2018, 08:49 AM)ZNYC4jags Wrote: The man is a billionaire, folks.

He buys things.

Don't live in fear every time he buys something outside of Jacksonville, friends.

This. 

Khan has proven his integrity. I don’t think the man is a liar. He’s said and proven time and again his commitment to Jax.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-26-2018, 09:06 AM)UKJag Wrote: Chairmen can't own 2 football (soccer) clubs in the UK, so he would have to sell Fulham and Buy Tottenham. That has been rumoured though.

Fulham would get dropped like a bad habit.

He is not going to sell Fulham right when they make it back to the top haha He has done wonders for that club.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 09:12 AM by B2hibry.)

The dude is a smart business man. He sits on many of the NFL boards so is privy to what the future holds for the NFL. For Kahn this is a great investment. He takes in all revenue from current NFL events and then when the NFL expands the series, he contracts long term and takes in all NFL revenue but reducing Jags outlay. This is a well known stadium boardering iconic. As far as a Jags practice field, it is most likely the “home team “ practice field for the series. Finding local fields to practice that are semi private and convenient is getting tricky.

This means nothing negative for the Jags. If you watched the SOF, you could see this type of investment coming. Gret foresight on Kahns part. On top of that he has lived and still lives part time over there, so it stands to reason he will invest in his interests. To much knee jerk going on with zero basis. The Jags are an NFL team that abides by NFL rules. There is currently no contractual basis or precedent to allow for the moving of an NFL team to a foreign location. I don’t see that coming to fruition, otherwise you must allow any team the ability to move to another country. You open the door to a river of drama that will kill the brand.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Even if Khan has zero intent to move the Jaguars or even play one more game a year in London, this announcement could not be more poorly timed.

Any enthusiasm the fan base had for the draft is tempered greatly with apprehension, anxiety and fear about the team moving, whether warranted or not.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-26-2018, 09:01 AM)CAPTAIN Wrote: Perhaps Khan is eyeing the Tottenham Hotspurs as his next prized possession.

(04-26-2018, 09:09 AM)ColoJag Wrote: He is not going to sell Fulham right when they make it back to the top haha He has done wonders for that club.

The rumour was about 2 years ago, but Spurs owner wouldn't sell as he had the new stadium and NFL games plan in his pocket. Kahn has since heavily invested in Fulham to get the back to the Prem.

(04-26-2018, 09:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Even if Khan has zero intent to move the Jaguars or even play one more game a year in London, this announcement could not be more poorly timed.

Any enthusiasm the fan base had for the draft is tempered greatly with apprehension, anxiety and fear about the team moving, whether warranted or not.

Bingo.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]